• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jackwagon
    Warrior
    • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Klem View Post
    There's your answer. An 8" target at 500yards is way too small for load development. Great for target practise when you square away your sights and ammo but right now you need a target that is as big as possible to see what's going on.

Especially when starting out with new loads and gun. The gun may only be capable of 2MOA which means the average group size at 500yards will be 10". Some bullets will always miss the target and there's not a damn thing you can do about it. Plus you don't yet know the velocity of your bullets.

I would suggest a minimum of 3ft square at that range. You can always 'borrow' a Corflute plastic sign on the side of a road if looking for something that big. Retailers sometimes leave them out at night...
    Klem, You have disproved all my theories on what I did wrong with math, that was very cool, thank you. This is a work in progress and as long as i am on the right track I can work on the rest.
    I have already purchased new scope VViper HST 6x24x50 mil/mil . Santa has my order for a chrono.
    I am going to do a tall target test to get scope as correct as possible, might be good for drop data also?
    I am going to stop second guessing myself and buy LARGER TARGETS.......OH, and work on the mil math.

Comment

• jackwagon
      Warrior
      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
      There are a few election signs around here that need removing.
      That is for sure....

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by jackwagon View Post
        .... Santa has my order for a chrono.....
        Magneto speed I hope. LabRadar if you have been a really good boy.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
          I heard Santa uses Lab Radar to determine his speed.

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
            I heard Santa uses Lab Radar to determine his speed.
            O come on!!! everyone knows he uses a Garmin - LOL!!!
            Needs that map and gps to hit the houses w/ good boys n girls... !!!
            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• jackwagon
              Warrior
              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
              Sticks, I typically get coal from Santa. I take it that the magneto speed is the one I should want? would the one designated sporter barrel be acceptable, cause I certainly wont be getting the V3...YIKES.

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

The different types of chrono's work but all seem to have their peculiar disadvantages. Mine is an old fold-out optical Chrony with sky screens. It's cheap, and works, mostly (except on cloudy days, or late in the day, or when you don't open it out completely, or when you don't shoot exactly over the sensors, etc). I save my chronoing for night-time with lights. Fewer error readings and wasted loads.

If Santa is dishing out Lab Radars then he knows who's been 'naughty and nice'...I'm stuck with the Chrony.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Group Buy for LabRadars!!!
                  If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Sticks
                    Chieftain
                    • Dec 2016

The only down side that I can see with a Magneto speed is the POI shift. Ergo - I cheated and put a long rail on the end of my handguard and it's not an issue. The only difference that there is between the V3 and the sporter is the accessories (extra shims, hard case, second cord....) With the sporter, you will have to probably adjust the sensitivity to get a reading, especially on a bull barrel.

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                    The different types of chrono's work but all seem to have their peculiar disadvantages. Mine is an old fold-out optical Chrony with sky screens. It's cheap, and works, mostly (except on cloudy days, or late in the day, or when you don't open it out completely, or when you don't shoot exactly over the sensors, etc). I save my chronoing for night-time with lights. Fewer error readings and wasted loads.

If Santa is dishing out Lab Radars then he knows who's been 'naughty and nice'...I'm stuck with the Chrony.
                    You forgot the potential to shoot your Chrony.

FWIW - it is possible to shoot a magneto speed...I've grazed mine. That is all I have to say about that.
                    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

I have one of the version 1's when they first came out - not an early adopter but it just looked like what I could really use. Not a bunch of accessories but very functional. No down-range setup needed just do it all at the bench. First few times you do it, take the bolt out and look through to ensure it doesn't stick into the flight path...
                      plus, every 4-5 shots take a minute to make sure it remains tightly cinched up to the barrel.
                      It shifts my poi but I don't shoot for accuracy with it, I do it for the data. Then when I've identified a good load I come back and zero in for poi.
                      Typically it shifts poi up 1.5-2" but like I said no biggie to me.
                      ps, for bringing on an indoor range it's great.

Long ar15 handguards with only 1 or 2" of barrel sticking out don't work so well for it IMO. But sun/clouds etc don't bother it a bit.

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                        Group Buy for LabRadars!!!
                        Only $500.

Comment

• G Dick
                          Unwashed
                          • Nov 2017

I use Shooter but no matter what program you use, accurate output depends on accurate input, measure your scopes height above centerline, Chrono your ammo in your rifle, get the most accurate meteorological input you can. Just my opinion.

Comment

• Sticks
                            Chieftain
                            • Dec 2016

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                            Long ar15 handguards with only 1 or 2" of barrel sticking out don't work so well for it IMO. But sun/clouds etc don't bother it a bit.
                            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• grayfox
                              Chieftain
                              • Jan 2017

Sticks...
                              Yeah I know I know... some of us aren't as mechanically gifted as you are!!
                              It is a nice setup...

Comment

• bj139
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2017

Labradar. What have I heard posted here about a million times, " Buy once, cry once."

Comment

Working...
                                X