• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Opie76
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2017

Thread protector or bird cage

What do some of you more experienced guys think about just using a thread protector vs a2 on an 18" odin complete. I don't really like the look of the a2. And don't know that I need a brake.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

My Shilen 20" barrel just has a target crown. I only shoot this rifle during the daylight and have never notice a muzzle flash from the 6.5 Grendel. The 6.5 Grendel has such low recoil I never wanted a brake and I like the shorter overal length. With the thread protector you'll be the same length as my 16" 6.5 Grendel with Phantom flash Hider.

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

I would argue that a flash hider ('bird cage') is the least functional accessory on a civilian AR. It's function is to mitigate the flash so the enemy is confounded when trying to locate your position. It has other functions like minimising flare if an NVD is clipped-on and the weapon used at night, but that is a niche need. In an 18" barrel, most powders will be 100% burnt by the muzzle and so the effect of the hider will be small. If your Grendel is intended as some sort of long range human conflict scenario then sure, get a bird cage (they're cheap anyway). Or, if you think it 'completes' the gun as far as how it looks then it's de-rigueur to have a hider. As for a hider doing a good job hiding your location, it is arguable as to how useful they are in doing this given all the other reasons why shooters are seen and located (shape, shadow, sound, silhouette, surface, spacing and movement).

I don't know the crown they put on Odin barrels but I am assuming it is not just a straight right-angle parting. If it's a right-angle parting you will need some type of crown protection. A bird cage or over-long thread protector will do this. If however it has any type of typical muzzle recess, for example an 11" crown it will be like any of the millions of hunting rifles being dragged around the countryside - you won't need extra crown protection.

A bird cage will make the barrel slightly longer and heavier compared to a thread protector, but not by much and you probably won't notice it.

A suppressor or brake will have more functional use than a bird cage but if it's just between a cage and a thread protector then I would choose the thread protector.
      Last edited by Klem; 09-14-2017, 02:55 AM.

Comment

• Opie76
        Unwashed
        • Aug 2017

Mine appears to be recessed target. So it would be ok to just use a thread protector? I prefer not to use the bird cage. Don't like the look.

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

'Recessed' just means the all-important inside diameter (ID) is recessed/protected by a diameter that's further forward in barrel length.

A 'target crown' refers to two things;
          1. Protecting the all-important ID from getting damaged through accidents and abuse.
          2. Providing an obstruction-free passage for gasses that blow past the bullet as it exits the barrel.

11-degrees (from the right angle) is a standard target crown. This can be achieved by machining and angle of 11 degrees (A), or stepping into the crown so a line drawn between the ID and the step is 11 degrees (B).

A.

B.

Comment

• Opie76
            Unwashed
            • Aug 2017

Thanks so much for your input. I have the diagram b. So this would be acceptable to use just a thread protector with no negative results. I just want the best accuracy possible.

Comment

• Kilco
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2016

I could care less about hiding flash, but I will always use at least a flash hider to protect the crown and muzzle, as all my rifles get used in the field.

Hell I've seen a bare muzzle get crud in it from being transported muzzle down in a vehichle.

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

I'm thinking the OP is unlikely to want to grind his muzzle into the floor of a vehicle (are you OP?) and anyone who grinds crud into the end of their barrels deserves what's coming.

Your gun has a recessed crown like all the millions of bolt gun owners throughout the world. They don't have muzzle devices and more importantly, don't want or need them. If you want the best accuracy then don't put anything on the end that might compromise the gas flow blasting out from behind the bullet as it exits. You don't want to introduce yaw in the bullet for the sake of wanting more crown protection than you need.

(No offence Kilco but your justification for a flash hider doesn't stack up when compared to the millions of shooters who also use their target-crown bolt guns in the field. I agree, a thread on an AR is almost crying out for something like a flash hider to complete the military provenance 'look' but from a purely practical point of view, if the barrel is crowned then it's not needed).

Comment

• Opie76
                  Unwashed
                  • Aug 2017

Thanks kilco, for the protection advice. Makes sence. And thank you Klem, for answering my main question. I'm going to opt for a good thread protector. The look of a flash hider just takes away from a quality target/hunting gun in my opinion. Thanks again guys. Happy shooting

Comment

• ErikS
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2017

Some folks discount the need for flash hider on civilian arms but I will say that on deer hunting rifle they are valuable. Here you can take deer for an hour after legal sunset. Shooting at one that late can flat blind you. I shot buck at last legal light this year and saw nothing but flash with my 308 AR. An A2 would have minimized the effect.
                    #shareyourspare

Comment

• Crusty
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2017

I thought flash suppressors were primarily intended to reduce the muzzle flash which momentarily degrades the shooter's night vision.
                      I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• Klem
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Crusty View Post
                        I thought flash suppressors were primarily intended to reduce the muzzle flash which momentarily degrades the shooter's night vision.
                        See my earlier post (#3). It's more to confound the enemy than it is to protect your night vision. If flash suppressors really saved night vision then it wouldn't take long for civilians across the world to adopt them...but they haven't.
                        Last edited by Klem; 01-03-2018, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X