• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

Federal brass

Haven't seen many reports on folks reloading with this brass.

I've accumulated quite the pile from the 90gr TNT loads.

Anyone loading with it and have some input regarding life and quality?
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

I would "assume" they use the same soft compound they seem to use in everything else. Have you weighed it for consistency or checked the length? I'm a big fan of FGMM in 308 for consistency - it just doesn't last that long. And for whatever reason, their 223 is really short.
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

I've been wondering this myself. I've done maybe 10-15 rounds of 1x after my 90 tnt's were shot... and one session where I loaded some 1x to my 123 sst load of cfe. They seemed to shoot close to POI and accuracy of the hornady with that load, but this isn't a scientific sample or study.
      Some of the 1x I shot did seem to have a bit looser of primer holes during the (1x) reload, but I haven't really done a lot to reach a conclusion on them.

For now I do intend to use them in my 20" howa, but not in the AR.
      Don't intend to "major" in that brass, I too suspect they will be a little on the soft side.
      If I get 2-3 reloads in them then, along with the 90's which shoot well, that'll be good enough life for me.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• kmon
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2015

Have wondered about the Federal brass for the Grendel, if it is as soft as there other cartridges. I have always been impressed with the accuracy many of Federals factory ammo gives but have never considered it a long use source of brass as primer pockets tend to loosen after fewer firings than most other brass.

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I have a 3 dozen once fired here from 2 years ago- trials at federal. I noticed the neck wall thickness is about same as older wolf stuff. I have them resized with my Lee dies for good neck tension.

I passed a note along months ago to increase the wall thickness. Has anyone measured any changes?

I have the 3 dozen loaded and ready to go to the range with BFT.

I was asked to torture test these until a failure or 2 occurred. Well, too busy to do that.

Maybe , after I shoot these, they will be twice fired------ Someone that shoots a LOT could help on this small research idea?

I would need them all back after a couple failures is all. Any takers? Sooner would be better. Like within a month? ?

By torture- I don't mean place them in the iron maiden device- ( google it) just normal loads. Until a couple fails happen.

Thanks gang.

Oh, forgot, the brass I have was shot thru bolt guns, - feddy only makes then recycles spent brass- they don't reload it. It resized easily.

I saw the trial sheets- blown primers etc. Mostly a secret powder charge on the Grrr loadings I was told. That's all I can say- They asked me to shhhh as much as I can on some items.
          Last edited by sneaky one; 09-14-2017, 10:46 PM.

Comment

• Kilco
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
            I have a 3 dozen once fired here from 2 years ago- trials at federal. I noticed the neck wall thickness is about same as older wolf stuff. I have them resized with my Lee dies for good neck tension.

I passed a note along months ago to increase the wall thickness. Has anyone measured any changes?

I have the 3 dozen loaded and ready to go to the range with BFT.

I was asked to torture test these until a failure or 2 occurred. Well, too busy to do that.

Maybe , after I shoot these, they will be twice fired------ Someone that shoots a LOT could help on this small research idea?

I would need them all back after a couple failures is all. Any takers? Sooner would be better. Like within a month? ?

By torture- I don't mean place them in the iron maiden device- ( google it) just normal loads. Until a couple fails happen.

Thanks gang.

Oh, forgot, the brass I have was shot thru bolt guns, - feddy only makes then recycles spent brass- they don't reload it. It resized easily.

I saw the trial sheets- blown primers etc. Mostly a secret powder charge on the Grrr loadings I was told. That's all I can say- They asked me to shhhh as much as I can on some items.
            I would gladly assist. I've been shooting my Grendel like a mad man lately.

I can tailor my handloads to whatever you see fit. I typically run a max charge of 8208 under a 123gr with CCI 450s. Hodgdon claims this charge with a 123 SMK is right at the max SAAMI psi. Would be a good test of the brass.

Comment

• Dinny
              Warrior
              • Jun 2016

My Federal brass has loose primer pockets after only 2 or 3 firings.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• Drift
                Warrior
                • Nov 2014

Sneaky, what are you taking? For the first time in years, I was able to understand every word of you wrote! (with respect)

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Kilco, after I shoot these- I'll let you know. Pm me an address.

Drift, turned out that I have high blood pressure- I was always too ampped. Lil pill helped me out.

Dinny, which primers?

I gave the local plant some AA brass- asked them to copy it to the T.
                  Last edited by sneaky one; 09-15-2017, 11:05 PM.

Comment

• skyrep
                    Unwashed
                    • Jan 2017

i've been reloading the Federal brass and just completed the fourth firing with them. The necks look good. However, i'm concerned with the primer pockets. After the first firing, i only neck size them, cut to length, deburr, chaffing and clean the pocket holes. Been shooting them out of a 20" Criterion Barrel.

Comment

• LR1955
                      Super Moderator
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by skyrep View Post
                      i've been reloading the Federal brass and just completed the fourth firing with them. The necks look good. However, i'm concerned with the primer pockets. After the first firing, i only neck size them, cut to length, deburr, chaffing and clean the pocket holes. Been shooting them out of a 20" Criterion Barrel.
                      SR:

Consider yourself fortunate. You got two more firings out of Federal brass than I would have predicted. The old Federal GM .308 match was shoot and leave on the range. Notorious for soft brass and loose primer pockets with one reload.

LR55

Comment

• tpepper70
                        Unwashed
                        • Jun 2017

My federal brass only lasted 4 firings of AR Comp. No annealing, just full length sizing and trimming. Split necks and shoulders.

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Good - yet bad feed back- Thanks to all. I will push to get this fixed at local plant. They do listen, ,, it just takes a while... I push Hard. I care of us all

Comment

• Sticks
                            Chieftain
                            • Dec 2016

Sneaky one - Tell Federal nice work on the American Eagle 120 gr. Crappy packaging, even Wolf keeps steel case from being loose rounds in box.

Drop price too. Shoots good, but not $4 a box more than ELD good.
                            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• sneaky one
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Sky, again- which primers? Many have way different diams.

Sticks, I am on this weekly trying to lower the price. They will look into it , I was passed a note saying. Our guy on the inside stuffs the suggestion box weekly too,
                              He's building a new Grrr rifle as we speak. Just sent another note to inside guy. I'll report what transpires.

We do our best- here- to keep the pressure on the old farts that pretend to run the co. If we can drive them to run with the lemmings, maybe the younger- middle aged guys with a functioning brain can fix it all at Feddy.

It's not the worst ammo company at all,,, it needs to be upgraded is all.

We Never quit...... Blade is my cohort, and hunt pal.

A few of us do a ton of work behind the forum. We care of the pushing forward of this round, ammo choices, components, brass etc. Bft, Myself, ROS, L52, JASmith, Blade, and a many others.
                              We all helped Bill A push.
                              Sad to see him leave his company, but end result is what he envisioned-

The Grendel is a true stand alone on it's own cartridge.
                              Last edited by sneaky one; 09-22-2017, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X