• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bushwack44
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2016

This never happened before.

I have a couple AR-15s in 5.56 and don't have this problem (if it is a problem) with my new 6.5 Grendel build.

As you see in the red circle, the guard is all scuffed up after shooting the first 40 rounds at the shooting range. I know its purpose is doing just that (protecting the shooter) but in the hundreds of rounds shot through my ARs in 5.56, none have any markings from ejection.

Should I be concerned? If so, what could be the cause? The AR shot well - no issues at all (other than the subject matter of this post). It's a 20" SS barrel, (Grendal II .136 bolt face) and .750 gas block. I bought the upper complete (and the BCG) from Midstate Firearms (bought from them before - good pricing and customer service). Ammo was Hornady Black Box.

• grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Don't know your rifle per se but could be overgassed -> ejecting, well... firmly.
    Other more experienced shooters on here may have a better idea.
    Until you track it down though you can stick a rectangular piece of velcro, the softer, loop-side, with a gummy back onto that surface, it will soften or even remove the flat-ding on the case necks from hitting there. Don't forget to color-coordinate lol.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• rabiddawg
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2013

looks like your deflector is deflecting
      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Drillboss
        Warrior
        • Jan 2015

It's perfectly normal. The Grendel case is shorter than a .223/5.56 case. The .223/5.56 cases contact the deflector on the side of the case, resulting in a small dent on the case. The mouth of the Grendel case contacts the deflector, resulting in a slight "D" shape to the mouth of the case after ejection. 300 Blackout cases do the same thing.

You can trim a coil or two off of your ejector spring to eliminate the contact of the case mouth with the deflector. There are some old threads on the site that address the issue.

Comment

• Kilco
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2016

I've never had an AR that DIDN'T do that lol.. on my Grendels I've used the Velcro trick. Barely noticable and keep the little "ding" out of the neck.

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Quite normal.

You can swap out a few parts to try and stop the case mouth from leaving traces of brass on the deflector but apart from that I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Comment

• Bushwack44
              Unwashed
              • Oct 2016

Thanks folks. I didn't think its a big deal but as being my first 6.5 Grendel, I wanted to get some feedback.

Comment

• 1075 tech
                Warrior
                • Apr 2015

Maybe it's the grip. Must be New Yorkistan or Commifornia.

Comment

• Lastrites
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2017

Normal to a degree, but only 40 rounds would have me questioning it too. Manually pull all the way back on the charging handing and see if the bolt face stops just in front of the back edge of the ejection port, bolt face should be about 1/8" to 1/4" in front of the port edge. If the bolt face goes beyond the back edge of the port, pull your buffer and spring drop a couple of quarters into the receiver extension and reinsert spring and buffer.

If anything I would say your rig may be slightly under-gassed, surely it locks back on the last shot with mag inserted and it's locking back on the bolt face and not the carrier. Or your ejector spring may be fairly stout giving it strong push and possibly coupled with your extractor claw holding on possibly a bit too tightly giving the casing a hard flip the rear.

Comment

• just_john
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2012

Better hitting there than having hot brass down your collar. Just doin' its job.

Comment

• Lone Hunter
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2017

Mine looks just like that. It ejects at 3:30 to 4:00 and leaves a small dent in the neck on some cases. They come out when I resize. No problems except you need to shoot more. 40 rounds? Not even broke it yet. LOL Good looking rig also.

Comment

Working...
                      X