• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • King31
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2016

Federal Gold Medal 130 gr Berger OTM

Cabelas had these on sale for $22.49 a box. I haven't shot any, but will hopefully get the chance this weekend. It was an impulse purchase and I hope that it pays off. Has anyone shot these much? Hoping for good results out of my 20" 1:8.
    Trevor | NRA Life Member
  • Maddvaper
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2016

Please post your results I been thinking about loading some 130's just for shit's and giggles...I'm shooting a 20" 1:8 as well.

Comment

• kmon
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2015

Haven't shot the Federal version of it yet but settled on 130gr Berger OTM in front of 30.6gr CFE223 at 2.271 COAL in Lapua brass. That is nearing max in my rifles so approach with caution if at all. One gun was a little more accurate at 30gr but the other at 30.6

Comment

• HillclimberCR500
        Bloodstained
        • Jun 2016

Finally got a chance to shoot some over the magneetospeed out of my 22 jp

Sd 11
        Es 29

82 degrees and a bit on the humid side here in northern michigan

Comment

• Kilco
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2016

Yeesh 2350 from a 22"?

I was going to try these in my 16" gun, but I think I'll skip..

Comment

• HillclimberCR500
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2016

I was kinda suprised myself. Primers were still pretty rounded. Although I had some ejector swipe. My rifle seems to do that on everything though. Im puzzled as to why. Haven't had much time to look into it.

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Kmon: Interestingly enough, my 18" BHW's accuracy node happened to be at 2363 fps, which was over a charge of 30.6 grains of CFE223.

My BHW 22" would push a 130 Berger AR Hybrid OTM over the same 30.6 load to 2505 fps.

It has also been my experience that these 3P barrels run like conventional Enfield rifled barrels with 2" of extra length.

With that in mind, I would expect a conventional 22" barrel to shoot my load at 2430 - 2435 fps.

Looking at my notes, my 22" saw velocities from 2300 - 2550 fps.

The first Cabelas in my area opens next week, so you can be assured that I will pick up a box or two of the federal 130's to run a comparison.
              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Dinny
                Warrior
                • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
                Yeesh 2350 from a 22"?

I was going to try these in my 16" gun, but I think I'll skip..
                I agree! At such a slow speed that bullet is likely to bounce off of anything less than wet paper sacks. It might even have a hard time making it through soft butter at 100yds.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Hill 500-- If you take the ejector out of the bolt( no fun) and sand and polish the entire circumference of the forward edge- many of the swipes wont happen. I filed off 10% of the right side also,then sanded -polished- runs like a fine swiss watch.

You can do it while still in the bolt, it's just a slower method.

Heavy pills seem to put more markings on the base of brass anyways. More push rearward on the bolt.
                  Last edited by sneaky one; 09-23-2017, 09:57 PM.

Comment

• GarandThumb
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jan 2015

Mid 2300s is in line with my results using AR comp out of the 23 inch barrel with the berger 130s. I was able to squeeze out 2500 fps but that was with a hot load of cfe223 that I don't feel comfortable running, especially here in Texas.

Comment

• HillclimberCR500
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jun 2016

Thanks sneaky ill give it a go when i have get some spare time. I was pushing some of the nosler 123 cc's to +/- 2600 getting swipe on those but the cci 450s seemed pretty round still

Comment

• AQBill
                        Unwashed
                        • Sep 2017

For what it's worth, I'm very impressed with the Federal Gold Medal with the Berger 130 out of my new CZ 527. Shot 9 rounds at 50-yards to sight-in scope while breaking-in the barrel and cleaning bore after 1st, 4th and 9th shot. When I stopped adjusting scope my last 3 rounds were under .5-inch CTC. Will stretch its legs out to 100-yards this weekend so we'll see...

Comment

• King31
                          Bloodstained
                          • Oct 2016

thats good to hear! If all goes as planned I will be able to shoot this weekend and post my results as well.
                          Trevor | NRA Life Member

Comment

Working...
                          X