• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 85_Ranger4x4
    Warrior
    • Nov 2016

Issue with safety?

Finally get around to assembling my Grendel, the safety doesn't seem right to me, it catches on the ledge under the stop on the receiver. Neither of my previous builds do this, the grip went on without issue (not sure how tight the spring is in the holes that have to line up) Also seems like the other side of the safety protrudes more than my other two. Within the relm of normal? I think I am going to swap safeties with one of my other builds, I really don't like the safety not being all the way on when I flick it on. It is getting better but I think it is getting better via ripping material off my lower.

Anderson lower, Velocity 3# drop in trigger, DD grip and CMMG lower parts kit.

• Drillboss
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

I had something like that once and I think the problem was that the detent wasn't located properly in the groove that it rides in. Have you tried taking the grip off and jiggling things around?

Hold the spring down with a finger and try to get the safety functioning properly before you reinstall the grip.

Comment

• rabiddawg
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2013

When I think of Drillboss jiggling why do I picture Pete from o brother where art thou
      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• 1075 tech
        Warrior
        • Apr 2015

Trigger housing set too high?

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I have a Friend who encountered the safety selector going past fire on his rifle. This rifle had a Houge rubber grip and the hole was drilled to deep and the spring was not putting enough upward pressure on the selector detent. We put a small piece of metal a little larger in diameter than the spring and put it in the grip spring hole. Problem solved.

I'd closely inspect the grip, spring, selector detent and safety. Sounds like something is out of spec, might be the hole in the grip is out of spec in relation to location.

Comment

• Drillboss
            Warrior
            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
            When I think of Drillboss jiggling why do I picture Pete from o brother where art thou

A little jiggle fixes lots of things.

Comment

• bj139
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2017

I had a few where the safety seemed to jam like that. Some lubricant and doing some jiggling as Drillboss does got it working OK.

Just spray a lot of lube around there. I don't see any around the safety hole on either side. It won't drown.
              Last edited by bj139; 09-16-2017, 03:20 AM.

Comment

• Troutguide
                Warrior
                • Jan 2017

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                I'd closely inspect the grip, spring, selector detent and safety. Sounds like something is out of spec, might be the hole in the grip is out of spec in relation to location.
                This was my thought.
                "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2016

Originally posted by 1075 tech View Post
                  Trigger housing set too high?
                  I have wondered about that too, about halfway thru the swing the safety has a bump in it as it contacts the bar that goes under the safety.

My other two builds just have the regular CMMG FCG's and everything was flawless, this is my first drop in unit.

I didn't get a chance but I was going to try the jiggling thing to see if the FCG has any side to side play and if it is holding the safety off to the one side.

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

When you say the safety contacts the 'bar' under it do you mean the trigger, or the sear that sits inside the trigger?

There are four main parts to a semi-auto trigger; trigger, sear, hammer and safety. If they are semi-auto parts the sear has no tail and won't be able to be touched by the safety. If it's a full-auto trigger and auto sear the tail on the sear is manipulated by the safety. Is it just the back end of the trigger that is touching the safety and preventing it from fully rotating to Fire?

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2016

It is the back of the trigger, it doesn't stop the safety from rotating but they do contact each other when engaging the safety. Disengages normally.

Loosened the trigger set screws wiggled it around and it made no difference. Not a lot of room to move it in any direction. Tore down my 5.56 which has been faultless with a normal CMMG lpk for two years, put my grendel's fcg and safety selector in that lower. Everything worked perfect aside from the safety still dragging on the rear of the trigger. The lever didn't drag on the ledge below the stop. Compared safety selectors and springs between the two rifles and they look identical. Reassembled 5.56 rifle with the grendel's safety selector for giggles and it worked perfect. 5.56 selector in the Grendel with the velocity didn't drag below the stop in the grendel's receiver but did still drag on the rear of the trigger.

Thinking I need to talk to Velocity at this point...

Comment

• terrywick4
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2014

did you tighten the set screws on the velocity trigger before tightening down the hand grip? That's what I did and had to go back and start over.

Comment

• Keef
                          Warrior
                          • Jun 2017

Have you tried it with the gun cocked or with the carrier locked back? Not an insult just starting with the simplest solution.

Comment

• Klem
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by 85_Ranger4x4 View Post
                            It is the back of the trigger, it doesn't stop the safety from rotating but they do contact each other when engaging the safety. Disengages normally.

Loosened the trigger set screws wiggled it around and it made no difference. Not a lot of room to move it in any direction. Tore down my 5.56 which has been faultless with a normal CMMG lpk for two years, put my grendel's fcg and safety selector in that lower. Everything worked perfect aside from the safety still dragging on the rear of the trigger. The lever didn't drag on the ledge below the stop. Compared safety selectors and springs between the two rifles and they look identical. Reassembled 5.56 rifle with the grendel's safety selector for giggles and it worked perfect. 5.56 selector in the Grendel with the velocity didn't drag below the stop in the grendel's receiver but did still drag on the rear of the trigger.

Thinking I need to talk to Velocity at this point...
                            OK, One possibility - Is the bolt that attaches the pistol grip too long? If too long it pushes the bottom of the back of the trigger up, tilting it higher than it should be.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2016

Originally posted by terrywick4 View Post
                              did you tighten the set screws on the velocity trigger before tightening down the hand grip? That's what I did and had to go back and start over.
                              Yes, put the FCG in,safety in, locked everything down and checked it, then put the grip/detent/spring on. I guess that could have been my problem initially but when I backed out the setscrews and wiggled the FCG around it made no difference until I put it in the other lower, and it worked just as well when it went back into the 6.5G lower.

Originally posted by Keef View Post
                              Have you tried it with the gun cocked or with the carrier locked back? Not an insult just starting with the simplest solution.
                              Yes, nothing moves without the gun being cocked as it shouldn't.

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                              OK, One possibility - Is the bolt that attaches the pistol grip too long? If too long it pushes the bottom of the back of the trigger up, tilting it higher than it should be.
                              3/4" grip screw due to Anderson lower and me being too lazy to tap the threads all the way thru.

The more I play with it the better it feels really. The bump in the safety engagement is still there but it is getting a lot smoother. And like I said after reshuffling parts around the safety no longer catches on the lower.
                              Last edited by 85_Ranger4x4; 09-21-2017, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X