• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stangfan94
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2015

20" vs 24" barrel

I've looked through the threads on here and looked on google but didn't find a clear enough answer.
    I have a BA 20" barrel. I'm also looking at a Lilja 24" AR24 barrel.
    Would I see a benefit if I'm shooting out to 600yds and occasionally 1k?

Thanks
  • Wafavre2
    Warrior
    • Feb 2017

94- if just a range Rifle go 24, higher velocity = less TOF = less wind drift. Hunting Rifle go with 18-20 for ease of use and animals won't know the difference to 400 yards.

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

600 yards? 20" will be more than enough tube to do that with authority.

Depending on your altitude, conditions, load and frequency is the deciding factor at 1k. For me? Unless I was shooting 1k regularly, is stick with your 20" BA and become proficient in the drops/drift.

24" Lilja would be a shooter no doubt, but that's a lot of tube hanging from an AR15.

Are you planning to keep your 20" build and do another? Or are you thinking about trading/selling the 20" possibly for a 24"?

Comment

• stangfan94
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2015

I'm up in the black hills, about 1500 above sea level. I thought that the 20" would be good but needed to hear it from someone else ha.

My 12" group buy barrel should be here today and I am going to get a 16" barrel for hunting (Need to decide between BA and AA, or other but those 2 seem to be the best). 12, 16, 20, and 24 has a nice ring to it. I'll put the 24" on the back burner and get everything else put together first.

Thanks guys!

Comment

• Kilco
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2016

My favorite is 16".

The Odin Works 16" ultralite on my hunting rig has been a phenominal shooter and functions all ammo flawlessly. From 90gr TNT federal loads, to 100-123 handloads, the ILGS spits it all in a nice little 4 o'clock pile.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Biggest difference with Lilja is accuracy. They are some of the most accurate Grendel barrels I've ever shot.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• silverduck
              Unwashed
              • Nov 2015

I was shooting my 24", PF, krieger today at the range. I am getting ready for a 600Y, F-class match. I have shot it at a 1000Y match; complex wind got me. 18-20 is fine for 600 but not 1000Y if windy. You can make hits but small groups will be difficult.I have an 18" Benchmark that is very accurate; 600Y is easy.

Comment

• Bigs28
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2016

Why don't you hunt with the 12"?

Comment

• stangfan94
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
                  Why don't you hunt with the 12"?
                  I definitely plan on it! I just needed an excuse to build the 16"

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  Biggest difference with Lilja is accuracy. They are some of the most accurate Grendel barrels I've ever shot.
                  Glad to hear that. That is what I thought but I couldn't find a post with you talking about Lilja. I'm going to save my pennies and eventually get one.

Thanks for the advice everyone! And if anyone else has an opinion I'd be happy to hear it

Comment

• Joseph5
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2012

I have a Lilja AR24 barrel and they are worth every penny you will spend on them. Mine makes me look like a much better shot than I am and it is consistently accurate with every load I have fed it, commercial or reload. The barrel is only 22 inches long if you don't measure the part that goes into the upper receiver. I don't find the length of my rifle to be a problem because it replaced a almost 14 pound 300 Winmag that had a 26 inch bull barrel.
                    Last edited by Joseph5; 09-20-2017, 06:05 AM.

Comment

• Texas
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2016

Originally posted by stangfan94 View Post
                      I've looked through the threads on here and looked on google but didn't find a clear enough answer.
                      I have a BA 20" barrel. I'm also looking at a Lilja 24" AR24 barrel.
                      Would I see a benefit if I'm shooting out to 600yds and occasionally 1k?

Thanks
                      I have Grendels in 12.5, 14,5, 16, 18, 20, and 24 inch. Given that the accuracy of the barrel is the same, the only thing you will gain is velocity and not that much over a 20 inch. The 24 inch does not get used very much, only at the range. For hunting, I prefer the shorter barrels.

Comment

• AZBackcountry
                        Bloodstained
                        • Nov 2016

My vote is for the Lilja 24". It will get you 140 fps more than the 20" according to other postings in this forum. The big difference is the Lilja barrel will be very accurate. My JP Supermatch is 22" 1:8 twist is very accurate also. It mostly depends on how accurate is your Ballistic Advantage 20" is. To me a couple of ounces of barrel weight when hunting carrying for epic miles a day means very little compared to knowing you can make that 800 yard shot because you have an amazing barrel.
                        Life is fun when your ammo budget is more than your house payment.

Comment

• hikfromstik
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2016

If you already have other shorter 6.5 Grendel barrels then I'd go with the Lilja ar24 . I have the Lilja AR24 and live it . I only target shoot with it so the extra length is no biggie . It looks awesome with a 15"+ forearm . 123gr projectile @ 2610fps

Comment

• stangfan94
                            Bloodstained
                            • Dec 2015

Glad to hear people are having good results! Its what I expected to hear, but having real world results are great

Comment

Working...
                            X