Is Re-forming Wolf/PPU 7.62x39 Brass Worth the Effort?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phrimgronk
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2017

Is Re-forming Wolf/PPU 7.62x39 Brass Worth the Effort?

I've seen a number of older web posts and YouTube videos on re-forming 7.62x39 brass to create fire-formable 6.5 G brass. Is the effort worth it these days, in terms of Grendel brass availability and price? The price difference between the two calibers has gotten me thinking.

Phrimgronk
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

You can if you already own the brass but some 7.62 X 39 brass is better than other brands. With the availabilty of 6.5 Grendel brass I really don't know if it is cost effective. If you have access to cheap bullets it helps but the 7.62 X 39 brass typically only last for 4-5 reloads before the primer pockets loosen. All the X39 brass I fire formed to 6.5 Grendel uses large rifle primers. I fire formed about a 100 x39 brass to 6.5 Grendel before I accumalated much 6.5 Grendel brass.

The 7.62 X 39 brass has less capacity than 6.5 Grendel brass and I don't hot rod my X39 or PPU brass. I use my X39 fire formed brass for short range varmint hunting where I might loose my brass. I also use the X39 FF brass and my PPU brass for cheap close range plinking brass.

I think it is cost effective to buy new Factory Hornady Black 123 grain A-Max or ELD-M ammo for $17+ a box and save the brass. The Hornady 123 grain A-Max and ELD-M is very good accurate ammo.

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Phrimgronk View Post
      I've seen a number of older web posts and YouTube videos on re-forming 7.62x39 brass to create fire-formable 6.5 G brass. Is the effort worth it these days, in terms of Grendel brass availability and price? The price difference between the two calibers has gotten me thinking.

Phrimgronk
      Ph:

Run a search. Exact same question comes up about every four months. Some interesting info but bottom line is that it is not worth the effort anymore.

LR44

Comment

• Phrimgronk
        Unwashed
        • Sep 2017

Thank you for the kindly-stated reminder to do a search before posting. When I looked, I didn't see recent posts on the subject, and wanted to r view the bidding. It looks like I'll need to save enough sheckles to buy Hornady or Lapua. Big gun show coming up locally, but I don't hold out much hope for 6.5G brass. Other components, yes, just not the brass.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Midsouth Shooters supply has about the best price I've found for Hornady 6.5 Grendel brass. I picked up a couple hundred a couple months ago. About 6 years ago AA had a sale on Lapua brass which was the price of this Hornady brass now. I bought 200 Lapua and now wished I had bought at least 500. You can still catch Lapus brass on sale but even on sale it's about $.80 each.

Comment

• Troutguide
            Warrior
            • Jan 2017

I really enjoy making my own brass, every time I go shoot another box of Hornady SST's I produce a box of brass. The process is very rewarding.
            "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

Working...
            X