• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tlbailey1
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2017

Howdy from Idaho

Thank you for having me. Brand new to the 6.5 Grendel caliber, still waiting on a trigger before I go try to break my build in. Hope not to ask too many dumb questions, and probably won't post much, more likely to spend my time reading threads.
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

Welcome to the forum, sir!! Dont worry about the dumb quesrions, odds are ive already asked it before lol.. my first 100 posts here were nothing but dumb questions, and every one was answered respectably and kindly.

Tell us some more about your build! You are using the 16" BCA set-up right?

Nothing wrong with BCA at all. Lately it seems they are responsible for getting more Grendel Shooters in the game than any other company, and that's what gets further support for a cartridge.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum tlbailey1!

Comment

• just_john
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2012

Welcome to the Clan from the Great Nation of Texas, tlbailey1. We would all be very surprised at this point if anyone were able to come up with a dumb question that one of us hasn't already asked. You are welcome to try. This forum is one of the best sources of collective knowledge, not just of all things Grendel but of AR's / MSR's in general. Sit back, read a lot, make your contributions, put holes in things and tell us all about it!

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard from just south of you.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard from just southeast of you.

If you haven't been to BoomerShoot up in Orofino, you should put it on your list. Very fun event to go to.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• tlbailey1
              Unwashed
              • Sep 2017

@ Kilco

So far on my build, nothing fancy, the Labor Day sales tipped me over the edge even though I already had stuff in the parts bin, but here it goes:

Aero Upper & Lower, and blem gas block
              Magpul CTR stock, MOE+ grip, trigger guard, type 1 M-lok rail covers in ODG, M-Lok QD mount
              PWS QD endplate & ratcheting castle nut
              Spike's T2 buffer, carbine spring, & gas tube.
              Spare parts from my bin, except the strike industries bolt catch & ejection port door,
              Brownell's Nitride BCG & I don't remember where I got the charging handle, (parts bin)
              15" ALG defense M-lok V1 rail (personal favorite)
              16" BCA 1:8 twist carbine length 416R barrel-straight flutes, Nitride inside & out. (.070 Gas port) Bought from PrimaryArms for like $99 shipped http://www.primaryarms.com/B6-5CM41618-MF
              JP jam nut and flash hider from Brownell's.
              I'm a big fan of the Viking Tactics padded VTAC slings, and once I switched to those, I got the idea of hunting with an AR instead of my usual bolt rifles.

I've got a Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 scope in a Burris P.E.P.R. QD mount on my 6721 that I'm going to steal, more than likely switch to an Aero Precision mount to save a little weight for the immediate future. Love to buy a new Leupold scope specifically for hunting, as I've already got the Alumina scope covers on my Redfield, but that will have to wait. Don't want to steal the glass from my bolt guns, as I'll probably hunt with them if I'm not satisfied with the accuracy of the barrel.

I almost bought another Larue MBT over the holiday weekend, but got lucky and bought a Geissele SSA-E trigger, as part of a fundraiser for the HPD dive team over on another website. I'm (im)patiently waiting for it, as that's the last piece of the puzzle. Never tried a Geissele, but I am excited!

The whole hunting with an AR is relatively new to me, as I didn't even buy my first black rifle until January 2009 (Colt 6721 HBAR), and was one of those stereotypical "FUDD" hunters. Although I've used it plenty on varmint/coyote, it got me into hand loading and now black rifle disease has spread! Most recently with the pistols & shockwave braces, I'm getting close or surpassing the number of traditional rifles in the safe.

@just_john- where abouts in N. Dallas? My wife and I spent 6.5 years north of the Metromess, sure glad to be back home in Idaho though.

@LRRPF52- Thanks, and no I haven't been up to BoomerShoot, I first learned about it right after we moved down from Lewiston to Boise. Both my wife & I went to college in Lewiston, and returned after a stint in Texas. I was only there 3/2011-7/2013, and after moving south, it's been hard to get back up there. I used to and did a lot my hunting out of Bovill, just north of there. I suppose that's also why I am used to thick timber and relatively close range shots. Up north I typically shoot 270 WIN or 7mm Rem Mag. Since moving back to Boise, where I grew up, we've bought a house, had two kids and my hunting/vacation/disposable income has been eaten up! Wouldn't trade them for the world though.

Let's see if I can get a picture in here.

Comment

• Kilco
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2016

Damn that's a great looking rifle!!!

I love those little Redfield Revolution scopes!! It's funny, because that's the exact scope that started on my Grendel, and a year or so later I purchased a Leupold VX2 for specific hunting requirements. I also used a PEPR mount for over a year and swapped over to an Aero ultralite.

I've been running a Geissele SSA-E for a couple years now, and it rivals my Jewel triggers in regards to a consistant pull every time.

Great minds think alike!!
                Last edited by Kilco; 09-19-2017, 11:30 AM.

Comment

• Texas
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum Tlbailey1 from north Texas. I am 12 miles south of the Red River, helping keep the Okies in the North.

Comment

• tlbailey1
                    Unwashed
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Texas View Post
                    Welcome to the forum Tlbailey1 from north Texas. I am 12 miles south of the Red River, helping keep the Okies in the North.

Like Bonham, Denison, Sherman or over by Paris? We lived in McKinney & Aubrey (down 377) when we were there. Still have friends and family in Texas.

Comment

• Texas
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2016

Originally posted by tlbailey1 View Post
                      Like Bonham, Denison, Sherman or over by Paris? We lived in McKinney & Aubrey (down 377) when we were there. Still have friends and family in Texas.
                      Bonham/Ivanhoe

Comment

• Troutguide
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2017

Ha! I slipped by. Okie born in Muskogee living in Frisco, TX.
                        "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• Texas
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Troutguide View Post
                          Ha! I slipped by. Okie born in Muskogee living in Frisco, TX.
                          Are you still needing a reloading press?

Comment

• Troutguide
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2017

Well yes, but I can't get the other required equipment yet so a press is a moot point. Trying to be patient and live within a budget.
                            "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• Gman6.5
                              Bloodstained
                              • Aug 2017

Welcome friend! Congrats!

Have you fired it yet?

If not, beware you will be hooked from now on, and your wallet will shrink! Ask me how I know?????!!

Nice build also!

Let us know how she groups.

Comment

Working...
                              X