Hornady 123gr ELD Match (Black) vs Hornady Custom 123gr SST for Cow Elk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tlbailey1
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2017

Hornady 123gr ELD Match (Black) vs Hornady Custom 123gr SST for Cow Elk?

Good evening, hope to try and get some thoughts & opinions on these and or other suggestions. I'm almost done with my build, awaiting a trigger and bought a box of the ELD match to start the break in process. If the rifle shows good accuracy, I'd like to take it hunting for cow elk in November here in Idaho. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time to work up loads between now and then, let alone the dies, brass, etc to get started. The two listed are the only factory loads I can find locally.

My plans are to use this rifle this fall, let's say 250yds and in, as we'll be hunting a unit for cow elk in November. I'll be shooting this out of a 16" carbine length Bear Creek barrel. (I know BCA is "cheap", but if it shoots 1 MOA, consistently, per their claims, I'll take it as a starting point). Yes, eventually, I will get a nicer barrel, but with two kids under age 3, funds are limited. I have zero plans of long range shooting, with this or any future Grendel barrel.

I normally shoot bolt action rifles for deer/elk, but this year wanted to try something new. I have a feeling I know the answer, but the SST over the ELD for hunting, yes? I'm confused, as I've reloaded for .223, .270 & 7mm, and have used Interlock, VMAX, AMAX and SST, but not much info about the ELD. Thus far I have heard of ELD-X, which sounds ideal for hunting, but per Hornady's website, it's not in any factory ammo.

I suppose if neither of these will work, I'll just save the brass. Bullet wise, I've found Hornady 120gr GMX, 120/123/130/140 ELD Match, 140gr SP Interlock, 143gr ELD-X, 140gr SST, 140gr BTHP Match. There are a few NOSLER bullets labeled for Hunting, 100/120/140gr Ballistic Tip Spitzer bullets as well, and seems to claim 1800-3200fps being the optimum velocity range.

Any other bullet recommendations for hunting deer/elk? Preference to loaded ammo. I've got a Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse locally, but am not opposed to buying online. This winter I will have more time to work up loads.

Thanks in advance, I'll try to pop back in regularly.

~Tom
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

For an elk I would highly recommend at least the SST. It will hold togather better making sure you get to the vitals.

The 123 eld-m would work fine on whitetail out to respectable ranges.

And since you handload, the 100 and 120 TTSX are deadly Elk medicine.

A forum member named Sneakyone also does some custom lightweight GMX solids that would also perform well.

129 ABLR is a great Grendel big game bullet, and so is the 100gr Nosler Partition.

Comment

• JethroBodine
      Bloodstained
      • Apr 2017

Nosler 129 grain ABLR's have been hard to find lately.

Shooters Pro Shop has Nosler 129 grain ABLR Blems for sale. $39.20 / 100.

I've seen posts here mention you need to sort them by ogive length to improve accuracy. I have some being delivered today and will have to check them out.

I've read that some have difficulty getting 123 grain SST's reloads to shoot well out of their rifles but I've found a load that is very accurate using 8208 XBR powder.

I have a BHW 20" 1 in 9 twist Rifle length gas standard profile barrel with a JP Enterprises adjustable gas block.

Do a ladder work up if you choose to reload. Here is the ladder work up I used.

Hornady 123 grain SST
      Hornady once fired brass, resized with .004" shoulder setback.
      Rem 7 1/2 primer
      IMR 8208 XBR powder. 27.5 grains worked up to 28.5 grains in 2/10 grain increments. I weighed each charge and tapped each charged case to settle the powder before seating the bullet.
      COAL 2.255

Groups really tightened up at 28.3 and were one ragged hole at 28.5. Be careful and work up your loads, 28.5 may be too much for your gun.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

If you decide to go with a factory load and don't load your own hunting ammo I'd use Precision Firearms 100 grain Barnes TTSX ammo loaded in Lapua cases. The price seems outrageous but your getting 50 pieces of Lapua brass. My second choice would be the 120 grain Barnes TSX loaded by Alexander Arms. Out of a 16" barrel I like the higher velocity of the 100 grain TTSX. Elk have been taken with the 123 grain SST out of 6.5 Grendel but usually with barrels longer than 16".

Comment

• pajasonc
          Warrior
          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
          If you decide to go with a factory load and don't load your own hunting ammo I'd use Precision Firearms 100 grain Barnes TTSX ammo loaded in Lapua cases. The price seems outrageous but your getting 50 pieces of Lapua brass. My second choice would be the 120 grain Barnes TSX loaded by Alexander Arms. Out of a 16" barrel I like the higher velocity of the 100 grain TTSX. Elk have been taken with the 123 grain SST out of 6.5 Grendel but usually with barrels longer than 16".
          Agree I would go with the 100 ttsx and keep shots to whatever range the ttsx hits 2000 fps, just to be positive on expansion.

Comment

• tlbailey1
            Unwashed
            • Sep 2017

Thanks all! I've started searching for some components and need to see what powders I can get my hands on too. I've found the 120gr Barnes TTSX available online, will call a couple local shops to see about the 100gr as well. I picked up a couple boxes of the factory loaded Hornady 123 SST, and another of the 123 ELD-Match and as of right now, my plan is to put about 80-100 rounds through it for break-in and see what kind of accuracy I can expect out of the barrel. That will at least net me some brass. Hopefully the SST's are acceptable, so I can work up some loads over the winter and give it due diligence. Granted, this is all based on how well it shoots. I'll have to give both of those Precision & Alexander Arms loads a look.

I'm fairly limited on time, and it's getting way close to season opener on 11/4. If I'm not satisfied I have plenty of ammo for other rifles and will wait to build a better stick for next year. I'm a spot and stalk hunter and normally in good timber most of the time. I've never had to take a shot over 225 yards, deer or elk. Don't know if that's part luck/environment I hunt or that I won't take shots I'm not well practiced and confident at. With the 7mm, I'm comfortable out to 400 based on my skills, a little shorter with the .270WIN.

Thoughts on Hornady dies? I've got mostly them, and RCBS, and load on a single stage Rock Chucker. Not sure what powders the Grendel likes, but I use a lot of Accurate powders, have a couple pounds of CFE223 as well. What do folks use for trimming brass? For my .223, I use a Giraud tri-way mounted in a drill, but that is high volume plinking. I hand trim for bolt action/hunting rounds. Odds are, this rifle won't be a high volume shooter for me, just enough to practice with during the year and loading up a bunch to keep on hand to hunt with.

Comment

• Kilco
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2016

Although I like the Hornady dies, and still use their FL, I swapped the seating die over to a Redding. The Hornady seater in both 5.56 a d Grendel always give me OAL variance when I start compressing loads.

CFE223 is a great starting point and has been one of the more popular powder lately. AA 2520 is another great one you might already have.

I'm a boring trimmer, just use the Lyman bench set-up.

I find a rarely if ever need to trim my Grendel brass. With such low working pressure and proper FL sizing set-up brass rarely if ever seems to grow.

Comment

• JethroBodine
                Bloodstained
                • Apr 2017

A great source for reloading info are the " 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks Volume I and II ". You can get them from LRRPF52 on his website http://www.ar15buildbox.com/. Lots of good info in those books.

The best deal I've seen on Hornady brass is at Midsouth Shooters Supply, they have it on sale for $46 / 100. Lapua brass is the best out there and you'll get more reloads out of them then the Hornady brass but are almost twice the price and have a smaller primer hole so you'll have to use a small decapping pin.

I use the Forster dies and are happy with them but should have probably gone with the Redding Type S Bushing die set to minimize the cold working of the brass. I use the Forster 3 in 1 trimmer. It chamfers the inside, outside and trims to length in one operation but like Kilco I've rarely had to trim them.

I had the same thoughts on how much I would probably shoot my 6.5 as you did but find I'm spending most of my time researching and working up different loads to try out. What a wonderful addiction, LOL.

I've never read a bad report on the Hornady ammo, either the SST or ELD-M. It seems to shoot well in just about every ones rifle.

Comment

• grayfox
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2017

+1 on the handbooks. Get them for sure.
                  Looking at the charts in there, I'd estimate a 16" barrel, 123 sst factory to be around 2440 f/s at the muzzle... so at 225 yds there is still about 1200 ft-lbs energy with about a 6.5" drop (100 yd zero).
                  You of course need to verify but the hornady sst has done well for lots of barrels. I get 2508 from my 18" and less than 1"/100 yd consistently... Minute of elk ought to be possible, but the other loads, handloads too, are good candidates. I haven't shot them but the other guys have so you for sure ought to have a few good choices for you.

Good hunting and welcome to the horde!!

Love that Idaho huntin'!!!
                  "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• SteveO59482
                    Unwashed
                    • Sep 2017

The 100 grain Barnes TTSX seems to work pretty well. 2017PigHunt_2Stags_30.jpg

Comment

Working...
                    X