• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveO59482
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2017

Greetings from Northern Montana

Hi all,
    I'm new to this sort of thing. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Barnes 100 grain TTSX bullet for the 6.5 Grendel? I looked around the forum but didn't see much of this bullet. I used it last March to shoot a couple of young Red Deer Stags and several hogs down in Louisiana with very good results. I'm just not impressed with the accuracy on my loads...
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum SteveO5948. I agree, I really like the Barnes 100 grain TTSX but the only thing I've shot with it has been jugs of water and paper. I bought the Barnes to take on a hog hunt several years ago. Unfortunately the hog trip fizzled when my Friend was no longer able to go. I loaded the Barnes 100 grain TTSX 6.5/.264 with 29.0 grains of H-335 in Hornady cases which is not all that hot but very accurate in my 16" 1:9 twist 6.5 Grendel. I attempted to catch the 100 grain TTSX but it blew through six or seven gallon jugs of water, cardboard and a 1" wood backing board. It was obvious the bullet expanded as advertised but I haven't got around to testing it again where I can actually find the spent bullet. I can't remember what my chronographed velocity is but I shot the jugs of water at 50 yards.
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 09-18-2017, 11:01 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by SteveO59482 View Post
      Hi all,
      I'm new to this sort of thing. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Barnes 100 grain TTSX bullet for the 6.5 Grendel? I looked around the forum but didn't see much of this bullet. I used it last March to shoot a couple of young Red Deer Stags and several hogs down in Louisiana with very good results. I'm just not impressed with the accuracy on my loads...
      Welcome aboard. Yes, the 100gr TTSX has been one of the go-to Barnes loads for many years, to include use on cow elk, but mostly deer and hogs.

A forum member posted this several years ago:

What barrel are you using?

Your load?
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kilco
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2016

Greeting sir!

Interesting you bring up the 100gr TTSX.

I had a long talk today with a very kind Barnes tech. We were discussing Grendel specific projectiles due to the popularity of the cartridge.

He hinted that a lighter, shorter LRX style bullet is possibly in the testing phase. He said the LRX would be the perfect bedrock for a Grendel bullet because it has a lower expansion threshold than the typical TSX/TTSX.

Comment

• montana
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

Welcome fellow Montanan, you from the Kalispell area? Has the smoke been bad in your area too?

Comment

• SteveO59482
            Unwashed
            • Sep 2017

Thanks for the replies... My rifle is one of the Quality Arms of Idaho, Hunter Models with the 18" (I think) barrels. The load was the 100 grain TTSX over 32.0 grains of AA 2520. I haven't chronograph the load. It has proved to be very effective on the hogs and red deer. I've also used the rifle on mule deer with the Hornady 123 grain SST factory load.

Hot tip on hog shooting... they are mostly nocturnal. I've mounted one of the Streamlight TLR-1 HP Game Spotter lights in my rifle. It projects a green light out to about 200+ yards and the hogs (coyotes too) don't see this light. With my Leoupold VXR 2X7 scope it's like viewing through a high grade night vision sight.

Montana: We are out near the Sweet Grass Hills close to Sunburst, MT. The smoke from the forest fires had been pretty bad, but since the snow & rain the smoke has mostly cleared out.
            Last edited by SteveO59482; 09-19-2017, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• SteveO59482
              Unwashed
              • Sep 2017

2017PigHunt_StevesStag_6.5Grendel_50.jpg

Comment

• SteveO59482
                Unwashed
                • Sep 2017

2017PigHunt_2Stags_30.jpg

I'm not sure if this photo is going to attach properly. I'm not a computer guru...

Both of these were shot with my 6.5 Grendel. My buddy had a S&W 460 Mag, but the shots were too far for that. The deer were about 150 yards out.

Comment

• Kilco
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2016

Awesome deer!!

Similar to my Grendel coyote set up. I use a VX2 2-7X33 and also use the TLR-1 Game Spotter. One hell of a light for the price.

Comment

Working...
                  X