• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shiloh
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2017

Barrel length

I'm looking at getting another upper for my Grendel, currently I have a 16 inch barrel. What is the best length for long range. I will be reloading so I can get the most out of this round. Point me to the proper place to look if this has been answered before thanks.
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

What is your definition of long range and what elevation are you shooting at?

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Something to consider is the profile of the barrel. A Friend has a 24" AA upper with a Flash Hider and it has a mid weight barrel. The rifle is really not practical to shoot off hand but does rally well shooting prone or off a bench. The rifle is a little long and cumbersome but not nearly as bad as a Friend's 24" bull barrel RRA 5.56/223. My Son in Law has a medium weight Stainless Steel 22" 6.5 Grendel with a recessed crown and no muzzle device. I could shoot this rifle off hand and doesn't seem any more awkward than shooting my 20" Shilen Match barrel with recessed target crown and no muzzle device.

Threading the barrel and adding a Flash Hider or muzzle brake adds to the length and weight. Fluting can help a little with weight but I think the 24" 6.5 Grendel with heavy barrels are only good for static shooting from prone or bench. A medium to light weight 22" barrel could fulfill a lot of task and still provide a little extra velocity. I bought my 20" Shilen and I really like it's size and weight.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

IMG_0614.JPG

Here is a graph that gives an indication of the velocity produced by the different barrel length with the 6.5 Grendel.

Comment

• Shiloh
          Unwashed
          • Sep 2017

I guess 600 yards would be max at least for now and 1800 to 2000 feet above sea level. I want to use it for prairie dogs and pronghorn. Been looking at precision firearms uppers and want the best accuracy I can get. Sorry about being hard to follow just trying to get the most for my money. Would like to use just this round for all my shooting just switch uppers.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

A 20" 6.5 Grendel at your elevation will be very capable. I've shot my carbine gas 16" 1:9 twist 6.5 Grendel out to 600 yards and got less than an MOA groups. Using a 20+" 6.5 Grendel at 600 yards is very doable, spend some time comparing the velocities from the different barrels. May help you decide which barrel is best for your goals.

Comment

• Shiloh
              Unwashed
              • Sep 2017

Thanks people, it's nice to get your input. Will be hitting you all up for some reloading info down the road.

Comment

• Kilco
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2016

At 660ft Asl I shoot my 16" Grendel out to 810, 620 and 285 yards regularly (targets behind my house) and it's drama free.

Not to say a 20" wouldn't make it a little easier, but the 16" is by no means gimped even out to those distances.

Comment

• Shiloh
                  Unwashed
                  • Sep 2017

What type of velocities are you getting and what bullet?

Comment

• Kilco
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2016

123 eld-m at 2460 fps average with handloads.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

I basically get the same velocity with my 16” barrel and approximately 2500-2525 with my 20” with factory and hand loaded 123 grain 6.5 Grendel ammo.

Comment

• Shiloh
                        Unwashed
                        • Sep 2017

I know a lot of people on this site build their own ARs, I would if time permitted. What are your views on Precesion Firearms company. They have a couple of uppers that I really like and accuracy is very good. If I did build one accuracy would be priority and any help from you all would be appriciated.

Comment

• Bigs28
                          Chieftain
                          • Feb 2016

If you can get a precision firearms gun in your hand it will be great.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Shiloh View Post
                            I know a lot of people on this site build their own ARs, I would if time permitted. What are your views on Precesion Firearms company. They have a couple of uppers that I really like and accuracy is very good. If I did build one accuracy would be priority and any help from you all would be appriciated.
                            Precision Firearms upper with a Bartlein barrel is one of the most accurate set-ups I've ever tested among many different Grendels over the years.

I lost track of how many rounds I was putting through the same hole with one using PF 123gr SMK factory load.

Not sure what the wait time is now, but if you want super accurate, they are worth the wait.
                            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• rabiddawg
                              Chieftain
                              • Feb 2013

I agree with what '52 said.

I had PF build me a complete gun using a Lija barrel. It shoots very well but I have spent more time looking for that special load and I'm still not finished.

The PF upper I bought from a forum member has the same barrel specs but is a Bartlien. This thing shoots everything very well. When you look at the ladder tests it just consistently out shoots the other upper.
                              Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

Working...
                              X