• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rugerfan.64
    Warrior
    • May 2014

American Ranch Rifle

OK Horde, I use that term loosely, I would like to pick your brains. Ruger has introduced the American Ranch Rifle in 7.62x39, so the bolt face is there. The magazine is there, am I reading this wrong? All it would take is a properly threaded barrel with a contour closely matching the American Ranch Rifles , a set of headspace gauges, and a little time to arrive at a decent 6.5 Grendel bolt action rifle? If I am over simplifying this please please let me know. I am a bolt gun man anyway. So this would fit right in for me.
  • 85_Ranger4x4
    Warrior
    • Nov 2016

Mags may need some tweaking, Grendel doesn't have as much case taper as x39.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

As long as the action is shorter than the 308 action... I tried a Savage conversion, even had 7.62-39/Grendel Savage mags, and a 308 action was too long to work for me. IMO unless it's a "mini" action like the howa does, you might not be happy. I switched the savage project over to a creedmoor instead, got the Howa action/barrel package and haven't looked back. The howa does very nicely.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Texas
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum Rugerfan.64. I do not have any experience with the Ruger American Ranch Rifle, but I have been using 5.56, 6.5 Grendel, and 7.62X39 all in 5.56 military 20 round magazines with no feed problems at all. I would think the bolt would be more forgiving and shouldn't present a problem.

Comment

• Rugerfan.64
          Warrior
          • May 2014

I had a look at one today, the magazine is definitely designed for the taper present in the 7.62x39. I don't know if tweaking the mag would actually do the trick.

Comment

• Kilco
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2016

Well.... magpul is now making the Hunter stock with used a DBM and AICS comparable magazines.. Is there an AICS pattern magazine that works with the Grendel/PPC cartridges?

Comment

• hill37
              Warrior
              • Apr 2017

I thought the 7.62x39 American Ranch Rifle used Ruger Mini 30 magazines?

Comment

• howl
                Warrior
                • Nov 2015

Seems to me you could just get the 7.62x39 version and try it with some Grendel ammo. Fired remotely and preferably with someone else's rifle, of course.

They're not likely to ever do it with the bolt handle on the correct side, so I'm not holdin' my breath, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a backwards version in Grendel to come along any time now.

Comment

• Kilco
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2016

They are doing the predator model in left hand soon I believe.

Personally I would rather see the Gendel is the predator model... but the ranch would do...

Comment

• howl
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2015

LH Predator 6.5 CM is already out and in people's hands. If you roll your own, might as well. I'm going to get one come the first of the year. Not sure I wouldn't rather have the Howa for the Grendel, what with the Ruger Ranch not having a shorter action.

Moot point on the bolt handle with either unfortunately.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 09-20-2017, 03:46 PM.

Comment

• Troutguide
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Texas View Post
                        Welcome to the forum Rugerfan.64. I do not have any experience with the Ruger American Ranch Rifle, but I have been using 5.56, 6.5 Grendel, and 7.62X39 all in 5.56 military 20 round magazines with no feed problems at all. I would think the bolt would be more forgiving and shouldn't present a problem.
                        So your saying you use standard 5.56 magazines for your Grendel ammo? No mods?
                        "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• Rugerfan.64
                          Warrior
                          • May 2014

I'll move so slow on this Ruger will have already introduced the Ranch in Grendel anyway, I tend to over think , over build , over engineer,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Comment

• kmon
                            Chieftain
                            • Feb 2015

Rugerfan We will run all kinds of thoughts on builds one night in the next few weeks

Comment

Working...
                            X