X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lone Hunter
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

Shot the Howa Mini Action today. Can say I'm impressed. 20 rounds of Hornady ELD M Black 123 gr. Easily 1/2" gun. Trigger and bolt very smooth. Only gripe I have is the magazine seems like it has a weak spring. First 3 picks up fine,next 2 sometimes it will pick it up sometimes it doesn't. Wonder if I will have to order a stronger spring or try to stretch this one? The Boyds AT-1 stock I really like. Put a 6x18 Leupold on it to just work up some loads. If it weren't for the magazine I would have nothing but good to say. Believe I can fix that problem though. Coyotes and deer better look out. Now to work some loads up and fix that spring.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
      Warrior
      • Nov 2017

Any more reviews or opinions on the AT-One stock and the Howa Mini 1500? Specifically what I'm wondering is how much weight and bulk it adds over the original stock? Is it still a small enough rifle to pack all day on a hunt?
      Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

The AT-One is an awesome stock. Minor fitting will be needed.

I did up two of them for my Girlfriend and her eldest Daughter. Awesome stocks for people with a short length of pull. If you are on the long side, you will want the extended butt option sold separately.

Both rifles (Howa mini 1500 heavy barrel, threaded with V6 gamma brake, Badger low steel rings, Atlas knock off bipod, and Hubble Telescope...er...Vortex PST 6-24x50 with sunshade) came in at 12# and change unloaded.

20171202_123946.jpg

The stocks were at full extension and I still had to scrunch up a bit during sight in. Having said that, my PRS stock is about 3/4 out, my Luth MBA on my MDT chassis (not pictured) is also at full extension.

Both barrels were pillar and skim bedded under the action. For the pillars, I used these ( https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...aspx?rrec=true ) and only used the threaded section. I bored out the holes and ran a 9/16 tap down them. Not much wood left if you go the full bore size for the sleeves. I did have to trim up the steel threads a bit.
        Last edited by Sticks; 02-06-2018, 10:30 AM.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
          Warrior
          • Nov 2017

Thanks Sticks. 12 pounds seems awfully heavy. How much of that is due to the scope and bipod? I'm actually debating on the AT-One vs the MDT LSS. I really like the looks of the AT-One over the MDT, but the MDT looks like it would be a lot easier to carry on a long hike. No matter how much I like the looks of it, if it weighs 12 pounds I'm going to regret it after an hour of packing it around in the woods. Since you have both, what are your thoughts?
          Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Sticks
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2016

I want to say the Youngest Daughter's HCR weighed the same (otherwise same setup). I have not weighed my LSS, and it has a different scope - Athlon.

Bare in mind these were set up as target rifles. The SRM we shoot once a month is a 2 mile hike over mild terrain through the day rucking water, food, 70 rounds of ammo...

It seemed to me that the bare stocks weighed about the same, maybe a little heavier on the chassis over the wood. Little being 1/2# ish.
            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
              Warrior
              • Dec 2017

If anyone curious i ordered an AT-1 stock for my cz grendel and it weigh's naked 2 lb 14.5 oz! The factory cz stock weighed 2.0 lbs exactly and 2 lb 1 oz after pillar bedding.

Those howa actions are listed at 3.6 lbs, 3.8 lbs and 4.4 lbs for the 20" #1, 22" #2 and 20" #6....if you're wanting to build hunters maybe look at the first two actions instead of the heavy barrel.

Note, my mdt lss chassis with magpul ctr commercial spec and hogue grip come in 1.5 oz lighter than that AT-1 stock...so hope that helps you configure which way to build. Personally i'm doing the 20 #1 action in the mdt lss to fit my kids or anyone etc.

My AT-1 stock will be up for sale when i get around to it, it's for the cz 527 btw in zombie green. I've simply fitted it to the cz and ya it's not for me, i think the boys would dig it but i'm going to keep the cz for me in the factory stock and build the howa lightweight in mdt lss for the kids and can see i'll end up building a second one so both boys have the same thing. hth

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                Warrior
                • Nov 2017

Awesome information Stinky coyote! Thanks as it is very helpful.
                Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

Working...
                X