• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill the loader
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2017

New boyds stock for mini action howa

This may fall under the category of sounds good but may be stupid. Has anyone thought of taking the pillars out of factory stock and putting them in boyds laminate stock. I know it will take proper drilling and epoxy. But may be doable.
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

My father pillar bedded his Howa mini in the Boyds AT-1 stock. Never really followed up with him if it made a difference but I'll ask him today and see what he says.

Comment

• Bill the loader
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2017

How did he do it, and where can I get the pillars without taking them out of factory stock

Comment

• Lone Hunter
        Warrior
        • Jan 2017

That's what I'm looking for now. Getting ready to order a Boyds AT-1 . Bought a Mini Action from Brownells the other day and need a stock to put it in. Want to bed it and put pillars in.

Comment

• Kilco
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2016

I believe he ordered the pillars from Boyds with the stock.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
            Chieftain
            • May 2012

pillars ar basically just metal tubes of appropriate size you can buy or make them fairly easily but if you dont do all the other bedding to go with them i dont think it will make much differnce as long as the barrel if floating an the cation fits nicely which based on my experience with boyds it pretty good and the laminate is very stable compared to standard wood
            Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Pillars are just tubes of aluminum, steel, or even brass.

Just found a video where a guy takes a CZ527 and pillar beds it using brass air hose connections, throws them in a drill press, files down the flanges, and cuts them to length since they are barbed already.

Barbed pillars will hold in the wood or composites really well, especially with epoxy. You can also do knurled pillars, or just epoxy them in smooth. Most of the pillar kits on the market have rings cut in them. There are also adjustable pillar kits, or helically fluted pillars like on Savage.

In conjunction with glass-bedding, you'll have a very solid mate-up between the action and the stock.
              Last edited by LRRPF52; 09-21-2017, 05:04 PM.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

For those that are concerned about applying conical force on the bottom polymer of the Howa Mini action, this is one area that could address that by using a pillar system with caps that apply flat pressure on the bottom polymer, so there isn't likelihood of splitting the screw holes.

On the early Magpul MIAD grips, they used a conical head screw, which split the grip in half in extreme cold weather. I did it myself in Finland during a high volume course in the middle of winter.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• ricsmall
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

If u guys can't find pillars, pm me and I'll make up some for a reasonable price. All I would need is measurements on hole depths from bottom of action to top of bottom "metal". I made mine for my mini action Boyd's stock.

Richard
                  Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Lone Hunter
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
                    My father pillar bedded his Howa mini in the Boyds AT-1 stock. Never really followed up with him if it made a difference but I'll ask him today and see what he says.
                    Kilco, Did you ever get to speak with your father about if the pillar bedding ever made a difference in his stock? I am getting ready to order an AT-1 and I have always bedded them myself but have never done the pillars.

Comment

• Lone Hunter
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2017

Ricsmall, will do if I can't find the right size pillars. Thanks for the offer.

Comment

• Bill the loader
                        Bloodstained
                        • Sep 2017

I've been shooting the boyds laminate stock for two days. Don't think pillars will be necessary.

Comment

• Kilco
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Lone Hunter View Post
                          Kilco, Did you ever get to speak with your father about if the pillar bedding ever made a difference in his stock? I am getting ready to order an AT-1 and I have always bedded them myself but have never done the pillars.
                          He was getting inconsistencies when he first got the stock, so he went ahead and both pillar/glass bedded it. It's the 20" HB version and I can honestly say it's a half moa rifle from the bench with numerous bullets/loads.

Comment

• Lone Hunter
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2017

Thanks for the info guys. I believe I will just shoot it first and if it needs it I will take care of it. Mine is the 20" HB also and can't wait to get everything together. If it shoots as good as my BHW .264 LBC then I'm going to be real pleased.

Bill, How long did it take you to get your stock in?? Going to order an AT-1 in Applejack.. Hope I don't screw up with the weird color but as long as it shoots I'll be pleased. My son likes the Applejack color anyway.
                            Last edited by Lone Hunter; 09-21-2017, 12:56 AM.

Comment

• Bill the loader
                              Bloodstained
                              • Sep 2017

Sorry for late reply, about 2 weeks. Had to dremil out stock in several places. But all good now.

Comment

Working...
                              X