• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • usmcm16a2
    Warrior
    • Aug 2015

Purchased my CZ 527 today.

Folks,

Purchased my 527 today, will be using the rifle for load testing and coyote hunting. I was going to go with the Howa, but I wanted something a little more traditional. It's coming from Pennsylvania, so I figure a 3-10 day transit time. Then I have to do this $&@?&! states 10 day wait, A2
  • kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

If it is like the CA 527s I own, it will be worth the wait.

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

Deff worth the weight.

Howa mini is a great rifle. CZ is just classic quality. My 527 in 17 Hornet is one of my favorite rifles. Love the set trigger.

Comment

• usmcm16a2
        Warrior
        • Aug 2015

Do the 7.62x39 mags work in the Grendel. A2

Comment

• jkingrph
          Warrior
          • Aug 2014

Yes the 7.62 mags are the same as the Grendel. In fact they are labeled 7.62/6.5 Grendel. I picked up a few extra 7.62 mags for my Grendel and the work perfectly. Like you I preferred the more traditional look of blued steel and walnut, going with the CZ. It did not hurt that I already had one in .22 Hornet, and a larger 550 safari American in .375 H&H. I also like the set trigger, but find the unset can be set quite nice.
          Member before 2010, account deleted per 2011 spam attack

Comment

• kmon
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2015

The set trigger is nice but I rarely set it when hunting, the standard trigger pull is a good hunting trigger. On my 527 Grendel the set trigger is almost 8 ounces so very light.

Comment

• lrgrendel
              Warrior
              • Jul 2013

Do they make a heavy barrel version of any caliber in the 527?

Comment

• CZ-527
                Unwashed
                • Sep 2017

I got mine a week or so ago and I'm loving it.

CZ makes a heavy-barrel 527 but they do not offer it in 6.5 G. Yet.

Comment

• jkingrph
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2014

No heavy barrel, only the slim sporter profile. I'm not sure I would want a heavier rifle, even though most of my shooting is off a bench.

The set trigger is good. Set on mine is probably around 10-12 oz, but seems heavier. Unset probably a little less than two pounds with just a hint of creep, making it feel like an extremely light two stage.

If like my experience with the three CZ rifles I have, you will find the action stiff and balky, Cycling it a lot will help smooth things out. I did find one spot on the back of the receiver where the top of the bolt handle contacts when opening that had some rather heavy mill marks. A bit of stoning with a fine stone did wonders for smoothing it up there. I also broke the sharp edges on all of the bolt surfaces, locking lugs( not to take anything off actual back surface that locks to receiver) and that helps quite a bit.

Other than those minor problems, which is common with these rifles, I like them , the big 550 probably being my favorite, because of the way the stock fits me, and the express open sights which I can shoot quite well. The Grendel comes in a close second, I like the longer barrel, tending to prefer long barrels on most guns, and the classic looking stock.

Comment

• Waynejessie
                    Bloodstained
                    • Aug 2017

Originally posted by jkingrph View Post
                    No heavy barrel, only the slim sporter profile. I'm not sure I would want a heavier rifle, even though most of my shooting is off a bench.

The set trigger is good. Set on mine is probably around 10-12 oz, but seems heavier. Unset probably a little less than two pounds with just a hint of creep, making it feel like an extremely light two stage.

If like my experience with the three CZ rifles I have, you will find the action stiff and balky, Cycling it a lot will help smooth things out. I did find one spot on the back of the receiver where the top of the bolt handle contacts when opening that had some rather heavy mill marks. A bit of stoning with a fine stone did wonders for smoothing it up there. I also broke the sharp edges on all of the bolt surfaces, locking lugs( not to take anything off actual back surface that locks to receiver) and that helps quite a bit.

Other than those minor problems, which is common with these rifles, I like them , the big 550 probably being my favorite, because of the way the stock fits me, and the express open sights which I can shoot quite well. The Grendel comes in a close second, I like the longer barrel, tending to prefer long barrels on most guns, and the classic looking stock.
                    About all a CZ rifle needs is a good bedding job to make them consistant. I like their products.

Comment

• stilesg57
                      Unwashed
                      • Sep 2017

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I ordered a 527 in 6.5G when they dropped below $620 on Grabagun (seriously, that's an insane deal). I've been very happy with my bolt rimfires from CZ but this is my first centerfire from them, and my first Grendel.

I wanted a classically styled, light/handy, blued-steel-and-walnut rifle for longer range plinking and deer hunting. I've been in the process of building up an awesome AR in Grendel for distance shooting, so I knew I'd have the round in my stable eventually and this seemed like the perfect complement.

I pick it up tomorrow, I'll let you all know what I think after I take it out this weekend. Really excited. I'm going to sand the barrel channel to ensure it free floats, adjust (and clean up if necessary) the trigger, and bed the action, but nothing else. Keeping it clean with a Leupold VX-2 4-12x40 on it.

Comment

• jkingrph
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2014

stilesg57

You are getting the classic looking rifle, light and handy to meet all the criteria you mentioned. Personally I would shoot it a bit before doing anything to the barrel channel or bedding, it may just shoot great as is.

Comment

• js8588
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2017

Just put a "Rustic" version on layaway. Going to use it as my deer rifle this fall.

Comment

• jkingrph
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by js8588 View Post
                            Just put a "Rustic" version on layaway. Going to use it as my deer rifle this fall.
                            The rustic version just does nothing for me. I prefer nice walnut, however there is nothing wrong with beech for a stock. Years ago many woodworking tools , such as handplanes were made of wood, most often beech because a relatively heavy, extremely stable and good wearing wood was needed. Some of the old Swedish Mausers and Swiss K 31 rifles were stocked in beech when walnut was scarce and are very stable.

Comment

• js8588
                              Warrior
                              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by jkingrph View Post
                              The rustic version just does nothing for me. I prefer nice walnut, however there is nothing wrong with beech for a stock. Years ago many woodworking tools , such as handplanes were made of wood, most often beech because a relatively heavy, extremely stable and good wearing wood was needed. Some of the old Swedish Mausers and Swiss K 31 rifles were stocked in beech when walnut was scarce and are very stable.
                              Yeah, I went with the rustic for durability over aesthetics.

Comment

Working...
                              X