• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LtDan
    Warrior
    • Sep 2017

My 6.5 G Side Charger

Here is a couple of shots of my latest build. 22" barrel, Jard trigger, Vortex scope, as I live in Commiefornia I decided to make this a straight pull side charger. Also a target this round 35 to 40 through the barrel.

65 G left awaySM.jpg65G rt sideSM.jpgGood TargetSM.jpg
  • js8588
    Warrior
    • Jul 2017

Judging by that target, that'll do...

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

What brand of barrel and twist are using? Looks like a great rifle and good shooting.

Comment

• LtDan
        Warrior
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
        What brand of barrel and twist are using? Looks like a great rifle and good shooting.
        JSE Surplus 22 inch 1 in 8 type 1

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

I'd venture to say she's a keeper!
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LtDan View Post
            JSE Surplus 22 inch 1 in 8 type 1

I kind of suspected it might be from JSE, they’re one of the few vendors I’ve seen who stock 22” 6.5 Grendel barrels. All the post about JSE barrels Ive seen report good accuracy.

Comment

• bj139
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by LtDan View Post
              as I live in Commiefornia I decided to make this a straight pull side charger.
              So, this is manually operated? Do you have trouble ejecting the brass?

I am doing the same in case I want to use my AR for deer hunting in PA.

Do you worry about arrest and confiscation before they determine it is a manual firearm?

I am thinking an open and visible gas port is the only way to convince a LEO.

I have shot mine with an open port and it works fine. A 2x4 is sometimes helpful as an ejection assist.

Comment

• Lastrites
                Warrior
                • Apr 2017

Turn a gas block upside down and remove the gas tube, not having the gas tube is a sure sign of a single shot. But I would at the very least somehow cover the gas port.

Comment

• bj139
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2017

Here is mine covered with some camo tape. I covered it but it didn't stay covered.
                  IMG_20170802_144330 (Medium).jpg

Comment

• LtDan
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2017

I'm a machinist so I just turned a piece of aluminum round stock bored it 3/4 " put two 10/32 set screws in it slid it down the barrel and blocked the gas port. There is no gas tube and the forearm almost covers the collar. I run a standard buffer and spring. At the range I use a BobSled so I can load longer than mag length. Been trying lots of different bullet weights and charges. XBR seems to be the powder so far.

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2016

I think I'd be worried about the "gas cutting" effect into alum. Maybe slip a thin price of shim stock Between the port and sleeve.

What brand of receiver / BC did you use? I'm seriously thinking about making a couple of these.

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

Lt,

Do you ever have trouble ejecting the brass after firing?

I tried it without the buffer and spring and it shot just fine.

I had to slam the bolt closed by hand.

I will try a shorter spring. I ordered another to cut it.

Here is my remote activation to test it with no spring. Safety is first.

IMG_20170802_132336 (Medium).jpg
                        Last edited by bj139; 09-22-2017, 01:56 PM.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2012

Originally posted by The Profit Joseph Sith View Post
                          I think I'd be worried about the "gas cutting" effect into alum. Maybe slip a thin price of shim stock Between the port and sleeve.

What brand of receiver / BC did you use? I'm seriously thinking about making a couple of these.
                          there is no gas flow so the cutting effect is negated

if you want to do a side charger bear creak is the best bang for your buck https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/upp...iver-bcg-combo it looks near identical to my LAR grizzly side charge at a fraction of the price
                          Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• bj139
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post

if you want to do a side charger bear creak is the best bang for your buck https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/upp...iver-bcg-combo it looks near identical to my LAR grizzly side charge at a fraction of the price
                            Here is another. I bought this for my group buy 20" barrel. It is waiting in the box.

It is much thicker aluminum than the bear creek side charger.
                            I guess it has to be thicker due to slots in both sides.
                            I thought dual handles would make it easier to mortar out fired rounds.
                            Bear Creek also has a dual charging receiver with side charging and rear charging handles.

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2016

Yeah I've been scoping them out sent them a email I'm waiting to hear back.

Comment

Working...
                              X