• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LtDan
    Warrior
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by The Profit Joseph Sith View Post
    I think I'd be worried about the "gas cutting" effect into alum. Maybe slip a thin price of shim stock Between the port and sleeve.

What brand of receiver / BC did you use? I'm seriously thinking about making a couple of these.
    The lower is a TMI 80, the upper is a Bear Creek Arsenal side charger. As far as the aluminum getting cut I would bet the barrel would be shot out before that. Anyway I could make another collar in twenty minutes.

Comment

• bj139
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2017

LtDan,
      Do you have trouble ejecting the brass?
      I have trouble with Wolf steel ammo and factory AMAX.
      Lightly loaded reloads are hand ejectable, somewhat.
      With full power loads I need to wack the handle with a block of wood to break it free.
      I am not sure what to try next.

I was thinking the reason for the 7.62x39 tapered case is easier ejection.
      Last edited by bj139; 11-02-2017, 02:58 PM.

Comment

• Dcommoncents
        Warrior
        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
        I am doing the same in case I want to use my AR for deer hunting in PA.
        We really need to lobby the game commission to allow semi-autos for deer hunting like virtually every other non-commie state. A sort of funny story: I heard that semi-autos were made legal, and that's the whole reason I built my 65G (or at least how I justified it to my wife). It wasn't until after I had the rifle built that I realized the game commission changed its position and is now allowing semi-auto hunting for everything BUT big game. Oh well, I still love my 65G and am glad I at least thought I had a valid excuse to get it.

I would love to know what the rules are for making a gas gun legal to hunt deer in PA -- i.e., can you just shut off an adjustable gas block? Mine isn't a side charger, but if that's a case at least I could potentially hunt with it. I'm not going to mess around with taking the gas block off just for that.
        Last edited by Dcommoncents; 11-02-2017, 08:02 PM.

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

DC,
          I shot my 7600 pump for the first time in about 20 years today. I hit about 2 inches low at 50 yards with 3 shots.
          It ejected smooth as silk. I was just looking at the rotating bolt and the rotation cam is much steeper than the AR.
          This must be why it extracts so easy. The hammer will not fall unless the bolt is completely closed which is safer than the AR.
          I expected a fearsome boom and excess recoil but it was mild. Maybe because of 20 year old 90% handloads.
          The Wolf steel ammo from 6.5 Grendel is much more violent. I hadn't expected the 06 to be so mild.
          I suppose I will use this if I go deer hunting at the end of this month.

I bought my first AR back in January when I suspected they were going to approve semi-autos for hunting.
          I then bought a 16" 6.5 Grendel and side charging upper since I felt 223 was not enough cartridge for deer.
          My gas block sticks beyond the end of the handguard so I can remove it in about a minute.
          Difficult ejection is still a problem. It is essentially a single shot without the gas block installed.
          The gas port in the top of the barrel is no problem as long as you do not shoot with your hand over the hole.
          I can't really reach it in a normal hold. I have shot about 100 rounds without the gas block so I am not just talking.

I shot this 16" Grendel today with the gas block installed and it ejected and fed flawlessly for a 10 round mag. That's all I shot today.

I am thinking about a custom bolt carrier with a steeper angle on the cam surface similar to the 7600 might work in manual mode.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
            Warrior
            • Nov 2017

Another vote for the BCA side charger. I've used a tone of them and they work great. They are nice for .458 builds as well since the port is already large enough and doesn't require extra machining.
            Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Cockednlocked
              Bloodstained
              • Jun 2016

Nice looking rifle. How far have you shot with it so far? Is that a P.E.P.R. scope mount? I started off with one and I have a Viper HS-T scope on mine, but I ran out of elevation adjustment at 900 yards. I switched to a Warne 20 MOA elevated mount, looks similar, but gives me plenty of elevation adjustment past 1125 yards (as far as I've reached with mine, and still barely supersonic). These Grendels are shooters. It's become my favorite rifle.

Comment

• LtDan
                Warrior
                • Sep 2017

I bought another barrel 24" so I removed the blocking ring from the JSE barrel and I was surprised to see the port completely filled with carbon and small flakes of copper. It is so tight that I could not push it in with a scribe by hand. I clean after every range trip. Less than a 100 hundred rounds through the 22" barrel

Comment

• LtDan
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2017

The more rounds you put through the chamber the bolt will eventually free up. I have had some issues with hot loads being difficult to eject.

Comment

• bj139
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2017

My port is not blocked at all. Maybe leaving uncovered is best.
                    I figured many barrels are ported anyway, so what's the diff?

Comment

• grening
                      Unwashed
                      • Mar 2017

Like the manual pull side rack, considering going lefty with the side charge on the next build,

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2016

Yeah I REALLY want the left most of all.

Comment

• bj139
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2017

Here is what I use when I can't decide.
                          This is my 20" Group Buy barrel with a charging handle on each side.
                          https://www.deltateamtactical.com/Da...lt_p_6416.htmlIMG_20171025_141609 (Medium).jpg
                          If you enlarge the photo you can see the Lead Sled right through the receiver.
                          The receiver is thicker to compensate for the reduced strength of the cuts.

Comment

• paulw
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jun 2017

Ya just had to post that...
                            Davidson Defense XRS3 Ambidextrous Side-Charging Upper Receiver Assembly W/ NiB WMD Carrier Nitride Bolt $212.99 - too good to not pick one up.
                            Now....what to build....

Comment

• bj139
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by paulw View Post
                              Ya just had to post that...
                              Davidson Defense XRS3 Ambidextrous Side-Charging Upper Receiver Assembly W/ NiB WMD Carrier Nitride Bolt $212.99 - too good to not pick one up.
                              Now....what to build....
                              Make sure to get a few bags of roll pins. Those things can hide real good.
                              ...and a group buy bolt from BFT if you are going to build another Grendel.
                              Last edited by bj139; 11-07-2017, 08:38 PM.

Comment

• Dcommoncents
                                Warrior
                                • Jul 2017

https://www.deltateamtactical.com/Da...lt_p_6416.html[ATTACH=CONFIG]10085[/ATTACH]
                                Would that bcg work with a regular charging handle and upper?

Comment

Working...
                                X