• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sawacs
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2017

.003 Neck Tension 6mmAR (Grendel)

Will .003 neck tension work for the 6mmAR (Grendel) in an AR platform or should I look at using .004?

Thanks!
  • 204 AR
    Warrior
    • Sep 2015

I shoot for .003 but .004 will work fine also. You probably won't be able to tell a difference on target.

Comment

• sawacs
      Unwashed
      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by 204 AR View Post
      I shoot for .003 but .004 will work fine also. You probably won't be able to tell a difference on target.
      Thank you..

I just wanted to make sure there is enough neck tension to hold the bullets in place under the recoil.

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

Load up a dummy round and test it.

If a gas gun, chamber it and measure the COAL on extraction.

Tap the base briskly on a hard surface and measure COAL again.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Cornbread
          Warrior
          • Dec 2015

Originally posted by sawacs View Post
          Thank you..

I just wanted to make sure there is enough neck tension to hold the bullets in place under the recoil.
          The lee factory crimp die with a light to medium crimp will keep the bullets from moving,not affect accuracy and, as I have seen, help lowers es by giving a more consistent neck tension and bullet release.

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Yes, corn- a crimp between light and medium is used here on my 30 pack of hunting rounds.

As for target loads, meh, I don't crimp . Nothing wrong with a light crimp for consistency tho.

You guys can change neck tension by polishing down the expander ball on the dies stem. A drill and sandpaper in grits from 600- 3000 are needed is all. Visit a local auto collision center to get a small piece or 2. Buy the painter a hamburger- The Smaller the expander- the more tension you gain. I prefer 4-6 k, as I run only LFP's for hunting here. I like good tensions.

LFP's , The Pressure-It's already just a tic higher than cup and core, so a small crimp is built in to the mix. Just start a grn. lower on charges.

Then find a sweet spot by going up by .1.
            Last edited by sneaky one; 09-24-2017, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X