• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

Definition of "carbine" for competition formats

I have embarked on a super top secret project that will be announced with much fanfare in due course.

My google-fu has been weak when it comes to finding what defines a "carbine" in various competition formats. No plans to do such a thing at this time, but if not too restrictive, this project may be based around them.

I assume barrel length is an obvious determinant, but wondering if type/length of stock (can a "carbine" have an ARF-X?), overall length, overall weight, optic, etc have generalized restrictions
    Last edited by StoneHendge; 09-20-2017, 03:49 PM.
    Let's go Brandon!
  • derek45
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2017

It depends on the type of competition

Lots of different gun games

3-gun.

Service rifle

Etc..
    NRA LIFE

USPSA-IPSC

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

-Jeff Cooper

Comment

• Sticks
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2016

Quick and dirty - Minimum OAL of 26" (enter the Bull Pup), and max barrel length of 20" (I would drop to 18).

Unofficial measurements compiled pre caffeine based on moderate Googlefu skills.
      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• rwh
        Warrior
        • Jun 2014

I would have said max barrel length of 16 inches.

Comment

• Texas
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2016

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
          I have embarked on a super top secret project that will be announced with much fanfare in due course.

My google-fu has been weak when it comes to finding what defines a "carbine" in various competition formats. No plans to do such a thing at this time, but if not too restrictive, this project may be based around them.

I assume barrel length is an obvious determinant, but wondering if type/length of stock (can a "carbine" have an ARF-X?), overall length, overall weight, optic, etc have generalized restrictions
          Historically, a carbine is a shorter, lighter weight version of a long rifle. In the definition, you would need to deal with barrel length, and weight. AR15 - 16 inch barrel, less than 6 lbs.

Comment

• Troutguide
            Warrior
            • Jan 2017

Less than 6 lbs. Thats light!
            "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

Working...
            X