• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ripcord
    Bloodstained
    • May 2016

140 Grain Bullets

Hey all,

I was just given a box each of 140 grain SMK's and 140 grain Hornady ELD - M's. I am wondering if these are a bit too heavy for the Grendel - any opinions? If usable in the Grendel (Howa Mini-Action 20" heavy bbl) does anyone have a suggested load or two?

Or relegate them to my RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor?
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

Relegate them to your Cream S'more. I'm sitting at my bench right now loading some 140 RDFs for my S'more and put one next to a loaded Grendel - looks like they'd go about 1/3 of the way down the case from the base of the shoulder!
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Texas
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2016

I just loaded Sierra 140gr Matchking bullets in Hornady brass, 27.0 gr
      Varget, CCI 400 primer COL 2.
      30. 2215 FPS from Saturn 18" barrel.
      Very good precision but trajectory of a 30/30.

Comment

• rickt300
        Warrior
        • Jan 2017

actually better than a 30-30 and plenty good enough for hunting in most of Texas.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Texas View Post
          I just loaded Sierra 140gr Matchking bullets in Hornady brass, 27.0 gr
          Varget, CCI 400 primer COL 2.
          30. 2215 FPS from Saturn 18" barrel.
          Very good precision but trajectory of a 30/30.
          You're cutting off 250yds from a 24" .260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmoor with that load if I look at the max book load for 6.5 Creedmoor with H4350. Many people are getting higher, and many get lower speeds with the factory Hornady ammo, depending on their chamber and bore.

With a 2640fps muzzle velocity, you hit 2215fps at jet over 250 yds with a 140gr SMK. The 140gr SMK has a very low BC compared to other 140gr class 6.5mm target bullets, and was basically replaced with the 142gr SMK many years ago for long range shooting, as the 142 SMK has a G1 BC of .606 per Litz and Sierra at these speeds.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Texas
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            You're cutting off 250yds from a 24" .260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmoor with that load if I look at the max book load for 6.5 Creedmoor with H4350. Many people are getting higher, and many get lower speeds with the factory Hornady ammo, depending on their chamber and bore.

With a 2640fps muzzle velocity, you hit 2215fps at jet over 250 yds with a 140gr SMK. The 140gr SMK has a very low BC compared to other 140gr class 6.5mm target bullets, and was basically replaced with the 142gr SMK many years ago for long range shooting, as the 142 SMK has a G1 BC of .606 per Litz and Sierra at these speeds.
            Over the years I accumulated 300 140gr SMKs, and the Grendel is the only 6.5 mm I have. Because of the precision I loaded a couple of boxes just because.

Comment

• rabiddawg
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
              Relegate them to your Cream S'more. I'm sitting at my bench right now loading some 140 RDFs for my S'more and put one next to a loaded Grendel - looks like they'd go about 1/3 of the way down the case from the base of the shoulder!

S'more? What are you talking about?
              Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• IceAxe
                Warrior
                • Jan 2014

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
                S'more? What are you talking about?
                I believe he is affectionately referring to his 6.5 Creedmore cartridge.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2016

Indeed. Sometimes i even refer to it as my S'more-cicle. And if you happen to run into me at the range, you can look at it, you can ask me "what brand is that", you can tell me how much you've been wanting to get one, and you can call your buddies or kids over so they can look at. But please don't ask if you can touch it . Lots of folks do this. If I had built a 260 instead, the same folks would probably say "260? What's that? 270 minus ten?"
                  Let's go Brandon!

Comment

Working...
                  X