• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ripcord
    Bloodstained
    • May 2016

Boyd's AT1 torque

I have my Howa mini in a new Boyd's AT1 laminate stock. It doesn't shoot as well as I had hoped, so I am starting to tinker. What is the appropriate torque on the action screws? I am worried about excessive torque on the plastic bottom "metal". It is currently set to 30 inch/pounds - should I go any higher? I definitely don't want to crack anything. Any word on metal bottom metal?
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

Have you pillar or glass bedded the stock? My father's required some bedding to get a nice fit.

Comment

• ripcord
      Bloodstained
      • May 2016

No bedding as yet.

Comment

• Lone Hunter
        Warrior
        • Jan 2017

Have you called LSI or Boyds?? Post back here if you don't mind on torque values when you find out. Bill the Loader on here has an AT-1 and he might know what torque specs are. I'm getting ready to order the AT-1 for my Mini Action..

Comment

• howl
          Warrior
          • Nov 2015

I would at least bed the recoil lug and float the rear.

Comment

• ripcord
            Bloodstained
            • May 2016

I torqued my action screws to 50 inch/pounds this morning as per Howa. I cringed as I worked up to the final 50 knowing that plastic is not meant for that kind of pressure. Time will tell. I also opened up the barrel channel a bit - I could slide a single layer of paper (.003") under the barrel but not two layers (.006") I'm not certain the barrel would expand enough when hot to contact the channel wall at .003", but I know it won't expand enough now - plenty of clearance.

If nothing has changed, I'll swap out the new Nikon Pro-Staff for a known shooter scope. Baby steps, gentlemen, baby steps. If I make all the corrections at one time, I won't know which solved the problem.

I re-torqued all the screws on the scope mount and rings to proper settings....all seemed to be correct.

Comment

• SDguy
              Warrior
              • Oct 2015

Originally posted by ripcord View Post
              I torqued my action screws to 50 inch/pounds this morning as per Howa. I cringed as I worked up to the final 50 knowing that plastic is not meant for that kind of pressure. Time will tell. I also opened up the barrel channel a bit - I could slide a single layer of paper (.003") under the barrel but not two layers (.006") I'm not certain the barrel would expand enough when hot to contact the channel wall at .003", but I know it won't expand enough now - plenty of clearance.

If nothing has changed, I'll swap out the new Nikon Pro-Staff for a known shooter scope. Baby steps, gentlemen, baby steps. If I make all the corrections at one time, I won't know which solved the problem.

I re-torqued all the screws on the scope mount and rings to proper settings....all seemed to be correct.
              What loads are you using for testing?

Comment

• ripcord
                Bloodstained
                • May 2016

Barrel was broken in via Howa's specific directions of shoot one, clean one, etc.

Factory loads used were:
                Hornady 123 SST for sight-in purposes to zero the scope
                Hornady 123 A-MAX
                Hornady 123 ELD Match
                American Eagle 120 Match

My handloads:
                28.3 8208 XBR with 123 SMK and Hornady123 ELD-M
                30.5 CFE223 with 123 SMK and Hornady ELD-M

The best pattern (it certainly isn't a group!) was the 28.3 8208 and the 123 ELD-M's.....5 shots into just under two inches. Other 5 shot groups have run 3 -4 inches at 100 yards, rested. I am not the best shot in the world but I can usually do much better than this. A decent barrelled action, a Boyd's AT1 adjustable stock and a new Nikon Pro-Staff scope with good ammunition. Something is amiss, gentlemen and I am open to suggestions. I have made the corrections I mentioned in Post #6 but have not yet had a chance to fire it yet. Any ideas in the meantime? Nothing mechanical seems amiss and I am beginning to suspect the scope.

Comment

• Lone Hunter
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2017

This is just a wonder but the 50 inch/pounds torque spec sure does seem like a lot on the plastic bottom metal.. Still 2-5" groups will not get it. Does the scope hit in the same area or one shot here one shot there deal.. Sure was hoping to hear better on the groups.. Looks like you tried enough different ammo there should be a decent group.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Matt from LSI advised 50 inch pound torque on factory stock screws in this thread.

New Howa here and I want to check it over well before I shoot it to eliminate as many possible problems before hitting the range. To that end: What is the proper torque setting for the Howa's action screws? Time to fire up the Wheeler FAT wrench. Thanks to all.

Comment

• Bill the loader
                      Bloodstained
                      • Sep 2017

Torque it with standard hex or allen wrench until it becomes very difficult to move. Mine gives a loud swapping pop what when removed. I also had to dremil out part of the forend and around the bolt groove. Hope this helps.

Comment

• Bill the loader
                        Bloodstained
                        • Sep 2017

Loud pop when bottom screws are removed. I hate spell check.

Comment

• ripcord
                          Bloodstained
                          • May 2016

Originally posted by Lone Hunter View Post
                          This is just a wonder but the 50 inch/pounds torque spec sure does seem like a lot on the plastic bottom metal.. Still 2-5" groups will not get it. Does the scope hit in the same area or one shot here one shot there deal.. Sure was hoping to hear better on the groups.. Looks like you tried enough different ammo there should be a decent group.
                          Scope puts all shots into the same general area - just not close together. All screws in action, scope mount and rings torqued with Wheeler FAT wrench. I am confident everything is tight. Will get to the range Monday for a check on recent torque settings.

Comment

• Bill the loader
                            Bloodstained
                            • Sep 2017

Had and old gunsmith show me a slick trick about 20 years ago. Tighten the bottom screws till only somewhat snug, then see if the rifle has any, and very small amount means any, movement for and aft, or laterial. If so it will have movement under recoil. His trick was to cut credit cards into small squares and place them on the back side of the recoil lug , and if necessary on either side. When you get the proper fit super glue it in place tighten the carp out of it. I've used this on old sportized military rifles with very good results. Don't know if this is relevant to anyone but there it is. He called it a poor man's bedding.

Comment

• ripcord
                              Bloodstained
                              • May 2016

Alright boys and girls....good news. Had my Howa mini at the range today to see what was what with the new Boyd's AT1 stock. I had increased the torque on the action screws to the factory-recommended 50 inch/pounds. (Matt - sorry I doubted you!) Also cleared out the barrel channel a bit. Two rounds down range for fouling & warm-up purposes. Then proceeded to put five rounds into what I measure with digital calipers as a .409" group. (Hard to measure one ragged hole - yes, I am bragging) Load was 28.3 grains of 8208XBR with 123 SMK's and a FGMM primer in Hornady brass. Tried 3 other loadings - one factory ammo and two handloads. All shot well, ranging from approx 5/8" down to 1/2". Everything seemed to shoot well but the 8208 load was superior.

It seems the problem is solved - it was just a torque issue, apparently. Now I have to go back and dig out all the loads I had tried before and thought were garbage. I plan to shoot-in the rifle for a while and tinker with the loads. Perhaps I will glass-bed it but if it keeps shooting like this I may leave well enough alone. Don't mess with success, huh?

I would post a pic or two but I do not know how to do so on thei Forum. Any advice there on photo posting?

Comment

Working...
                              X