• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

2 Boars, 2 Hunts, Hornady SST

While I arrived on property at my first location nearly an hour ahead of schedule to scout out some new areas to hunt on the high fence exotics ranch, a looming storm drove me to seek shelter down in one of the lower areas I had hunted previously. After a couple of hours sitting in the truck, the rain and lightning passed and I commenced to watching critters.

The red deer doe and her older offspring took notice of something behind the dam. The way they were staring down, I thought maybe there was a snake or something, but then a hog came up the back side of the dam. The bullet obliterated the axis vertebra (C2), nearly severing the spine completely.

When I finished there, I started making a circuit to my other properties in the area. I was driving in to check the newly cleared 'back 40' when I spied this hog off in the distance. He was in a low spot and moving very quickly. As far out and low as he was (turns out he was just in a low spot), I thought he was a coyote, but as I headed to intercept, it became apparent it was a hog and that is about where the video starts. The necropsy here turned out really well. The bullet did not exit and I was able to successfully track it through the hog and find the copper jacket in the liver. Examination of the intestines revealed that no part of the bullet made it that far, so from entry to liver location, I measured 19" of penetration.

So not a bad night. A bit of a technical glitch that I am hoping is a battery issue, but otherwise two good boars down with no tracking and easy to find - my kind of hunts.
    Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 09-20-2017, 09:09 PM.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

Still amazed the deer didn't seem to notice the shot at all. Suppressor is certainly doing it's job.

Awesome clips and awesome hunts!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2013

Those were red deer. The youngsters were larger than a whitetail I had seen earlier, LOL. They seemed really bothered by the hog coming in, but not by the shot as you noticed. I have to wonder if the previous thunder and lightning was such that they just figured the shot was just more thunder? It wasn't really loud, like that of a .22, but still, they certainly would have heard it and heard the impact.

Comment

• newb
        Warrior
        • Feb 2015

Nice bullet travel investigation. Might sound disgusting to some, but I could almost smell the fresh flesh.....

Comment

• Les
          Warrior
          • Oct 2016

Looks like the SST is still up for the challenge. Nice videos again. I knew you'd have to do a necropsy again soon, It's interesting.
          Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• Troutguide
            Warrior
            • Jan 2017

Thanks for the video and terminal ballistics info. This just reassures me again that the SST is good to go for hunting this fall.
            "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• Lone Hunter
              Warrior
              • Jan 2017

Looks like they were hit in the head with a creek rock. DRT... Thanks for the videos. Love Them.

Comment

• Texas
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2016

Always enjoy the videos, you have a way of dropping those pigs like a sack of taters.

Comment

• Bigs28
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2016

Watching your videos, there is a big difference in what the hogs do when hit by the sst vs the eldm

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2013

Bigs28, yeah, I do think so, though anything you hit like I hit these guys should go down just fine. ELD-M certainly can work, but I had trouble making it work. It was plenty accurate and was hell on the coyotes I shot, but was lackluster on the hogs.

Comment

Working...
                    X