• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wafavre2
    Warrior
    • Feb 2017

160 gr Hornady RNSP for Grendel

Does anyone have a starting charge for IMR 8208 or BLC2 for the Grendel. I have a box for my 6.5x54MS and want to give them a try on hogs.

Thanks,
    Will
  • sneaky one
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

ricsmall has blc2 data, he developed it while shooting those pills I sent him to go through BP bank glass. PM him

BTW, they were Carcano -.268 diam. ww2 units- he turned them to .265.

It made it through the glass- 1-1/4" laminated. at 100yds. Nasty tough glass.. Bullet looked like a banana-hee!

He contacted me before the first shot-- Please pray for me!??????? I laughed for hours....

You will want them to slightly tumble, do a search on here- TXgunner? he figured it out.

For fun, the 129 Interbond went 1-1/8 " -- almost through.
    Last edited by sneaky one; 09-21-2017, 11:59 PM.

Comment

• Wafavre2
      Warrior
      • Feb 2017

Thanks Sneaky One, these are the .264 diam. for the 6.5x54 MS, they should be awesome as The Great White Hunter Bell killed over 300 Elephants with the Steyr 1903 6.5x54 160 gr. solid @about 2500 fps. Ever wonder how those old gun and cartridge designers got it so right with the 6.5mm as far back as 1894 and we are ringing steel with it at 1k yards or better.
      IMG_0310.JPG

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Right, the Japanese were the main reason that the 6.5 was hated, - left alone to die... after ww2 here in USA. I understood the aingst, but really? Yup,

Cool, Welcome in fellow 6.5 fan. It's amazing of the lack of interest from our military upon a 6.5 round. It does dual duty for all the soldiers.

Bill A and I had a small pm chat a while back,,, I only have My hopes high... I was asked to just sit back and smile , wait--- kinda.

Not sure of copper to lead construction diff on the older units to todays pills. Rock onward! Contact tx- whack some hogs.

man, I'll be up all nigh here.

I think rs hit 2250 --- with the lathed 160 units. 22" Grrr tube. That's pretty awesome!

I shot a stock ,268 through 33 " of tree trunks, a red flyer wagom, wet fone books, 2- 1/8" steel sheets water jugs- all in the wagon. WOW!

I only hit 1950 fps. JR is still whining that I wrecked his childhood wagon.. It was rusty , I said. Needed to be recycled.

ALL the way thru it all ! Amazing.

Yes L52 always talks of go heavy always- it makes sense -per game- per distance.

But I hunt, I prefer lead free. So I go 1/3rd lighter in wt for same result inside 300 yds.
        Last edited by sneaky one; 09-22-2017, 01:57 AM.

Comment

• Joseph5
          Warrior
          • Oct 2012

The Army is looking at the .264 AMU which was developed by you may have guessed the Army Marksmanship Unit. It will get a 130gr bullet up to 2600 fps out of a 16 inch barrel.

Comment

• Drift
            Warrior
            • Nov 2014

My memory of 160 grain bullets and BLC (2).
            (background information) BLC (2) was the first "successful" powder we found with the Grendel. It gave good accuracy was safe with every non compressed load we tried.
            So >10 years ago I worked up a load using 160 gr Hornaday spire points. I have no memory of the exact load but it was 1.25gr less then what I estimated was 100% full non compressed load using non magnum primers and Lapua brass. I seated them real close to the lands.

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Joseph- that 130 loading would be about perfect as a dual usage round. Infantry, snipers, Mini guns- etc.

That would be an excellent choice for the military.

Comment

• Wafavre2
                Warrior
                • Feb 2017

Thanks for the info. I'm not looking for a subsonic load yet. I am going to try both BLC2 and 8208. I'm going to start at 20 gr. and work up with the bullet seated .020 off the lands and cronograph till I reach 2200-2300 fps. Anyone see a problem?

Will

Comment

• kmon
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2015

I haven't tried those powders myself in the Grendel but generally ave read many times on here that 8208 works great for bullets up to 123gr but it spikes quickly with heavier bullets. If I were looking for a load with that bullet I would be using one of the slower powders CFE223 or Leverevolution and perhaps 2000MR. But that is just me.

Comment

• Wafavre2
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2017

Keon, thanks.

Comment

• JASmith
                      Chieftain
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
                      Right, the Japanese were the main reason that the 6.5 was hated, - left alone to die... after ww2 here in USA...
                      I remember the discomfort I felt about 20 years after Vietnam when the 7.62x39 was featured in the American Rifleman.

The Grendel, with that cartridge as the parent, helped me get over the discomfort.

I have also gotten past the 7.62x59R for different reasons.
                      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• sneaky one
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Time heals many wounds.

For the 6.5 cal.- look how many bullets can be had, many just in recent years. I like the new Makers copper pills. I won't need to modify bullets anymore if they give me the same on game results as the GMX has. I'm getting some 95grn. T Rex to test.

Not to jinx my state here- but those 160's would be cool to fwap hogs with- close to home.

TX- are ya still on here?
                        Last edited by sneaky one; 09-23-2017, 09:13 PM.

Comment

• Wafavre2
                          Warrior
                          • Feb 2017

Found this you 6.5x history buffs may like to read.
                          Last edited by Wafavre2; 09-23-2017, 11:16 PM.

Comment

• Joseph5
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2012

I went back and looked again, the round is called the 264 USA. Not AMU as I had stated earlier, they developed it and it was a 123 gr Sierra at 2657 fps out of a 16 inch barrel. I think it would make an excellent round and if polymer ammunition gets beyond the development stage that would help with the ammunition weight.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

Been done years ago for subsonic/suppressed, as well as supersonic.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X