X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

Yeah - I had been looking at the normal Odin handguard and it looks like the O2 and 2A are about the same. Got my real 2A Ti RBC in last night and a business card holder was part of the swag:

image.jpeg

They must know I'm in the market for a rail - lol. I really dig the aesthetics and slimness and the 2A is definitely on the top of the list if I go the aluminum route since it should match up perfectly with the 2A upper receiver.

The weight on the Ti RBC is as advertised:

image.jpeg

3.8 oz for the carrier,alone without bolt and pins:

image.jpeg
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• StoneHendge
      Chieftain
      • May 2016

This is how the 2A section covers me S'more barrel which is the same contour as the Proof Grendel barrel

image.jpeg
      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

I guess there's a reason why we exercise patience with things. Looks like Smoke Composites will now do a cheek riser!

Smoke Cheek riser.jpg

Switching the stock and hand guard to smoke puts it at around 5.4 lbs unadorned without the cheek riser (they don't list a weight).

Ultimate Lightweight Spreadsheet.pdf

To put it in perspective, if it were to have a 16" Faxon Gunner barrel, it would be estimated to tip the scale at 4.8 lbs
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Kilco
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2016

Holy crap man that thing is looking sexy!!

Comment

• StoneHendge
            Chieftain
            • May 2016

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
            Holy crap man that thing is looking sexy!!
            Lol - I just pulled that from their website. The only thing I have in hand is the Ti RBC. Receiver set is at my FFL but the first snow of the season delayed my getting it. Hopefully Thursday. I put the stock and handguard and all of the accoutrements into a shopping cart at Smoke and had a spontaneous coughing fit moments after I clicked "View Cart"

Really hoping to get a confirmation of the Proof barrel weight so I can do a semi mockup to get an idea of balance.
            Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• StoneHendge
              Chieftain
              • May 2016

Finally picked up the receivers yesterday and they are pretty slick. I pulled them out of the box and my FFL said "those are purty!" I said that's just a side benefit and handed them too him and the guy whose seen pretty much everything come through his shop was pretty amazed by both the weight and quality of machining. The cuts in the pic rails are pretty impressive and the inside of the upper receiver is smoother than a baby's bottom. My postal scale says 12.6 oz for the set and I'll trust 2A's scale is a little more accurate than mine for their 12.3

image.jpeg

18.6 oz for the receivers with the bcg and bolt (I weighed a couple of standard BCGs and they all came in around 11.5 oz)

image.jpeg

The receivers actually slide together very easily but there is zero play making them worthy for Ti takedown pins
              Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Kilco
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2016

Wow..... those receivers look slick..

Your quote should be "making the rest of the Horde jealous one purchase at a time"

Comment

• Jakerz
                  Unwashed
                  • Jan 2017

2A stuff is really nice, I used that same set for my light weight 300 blackout build. Have you seen the Brigand Armory handguards? That Proof barrel would look sick under one of these! https://brigandarms.com/product/edge/

Jake

Comment

• StoneHendge
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2016

Originally posted by Jakerz View Post
                    2A stuff is really nice, I used that same set for my light weight 300 blackout build. Have you seen the Brigand Armory handguards? That Proof barrel would look sick under one of these! https://brigandarms.com/product/edge/

Jake
                    Yeah, took a look at those but based on what Bigs said above about being able to squeeze it (even if you have to squeeze really hard), I really don't think it would support a bipod and allow precision. Probably amazing for an offhand carbine, though.

I think my next step is to order the Smoke Composites stock and hold off on the handguard until I hold the stock in my hands, but I'm being delayed by the fact that the Aero builders kit on my Cream S'more is really holding back the Proof barrel (it's a barrel interface issue - yeah it's shooting 3/4 MOA on average but based on patterning, it should be averaging around 3/8) If that can't be rectified, I'll probably take the plunge on a 2a Xanthos receiver set and Handguard - I'm that impressed by the machining and it's actually a few bucks less then a Mega Maten Kit (and less than 2/3 the weight)
                    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• growling dog
                      Unwashed
                      • Mar 2017

Thanks for posting this story and pics, Stone Hendge. It has been fun to read.

Comment

• warp9764
                        Bloodstained
                        • Oct 2017

StoneHendge, have you looked at the VSeven handguards? I got the 15" 2099 ultra-light M-Lok. At 15" it's still only 7.7 oz and this thing is super stiff.
                        404 - Oh No - the content you were looking for can't be found. Please choose a link from our AR products menu.

The barrel nut is also lightweight at 1.13 oz and you can even get Ti mounting screws (I did, mainly for the look).

For shorter lengths:
                        13.5" LENGTH: 13.5 IN WIDTH: 1.5 IN HEIGHT: 1.97 IN
                        WEIGHS APPROX. 7.2 OZ

11.1" LENGTH: 11.1 IN WIDTH: 1.5 IN HEIGHT: 1.97 IN
                        WEIGHS APPROX. 5.8 OZ

Comment

• StoneHendge
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2016

Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• warp9764
                            Bloodstained
                            • Oct 2017

Before I found the Wilson Combat superstock I was literally about to purchase the Magpul ACS-L. 1" longer, a few oz heavier. My only issue with the ACS-L was the QD mount required an additional piece to be screwed in, which sticks out more than 1/2" on one side or the other. If it had been fully integrated, flush, and usable on both sides I would've gotten it right away. I plan to use a sling, so this was important to me. For sandbag shooting, probably not so much!

I hadn't heard about the corrosion of LiAl! I'm in south Florida, so we don't get salt on the roads, just in the air...

Comment

• StoneHendge
                              Chieftain
                              • May 2016

Well StoneHendge has been in need of a target 223 for 77s ever since he determined that his 1:8 BHW barrel is actually 1:9. He's not pissed since it shoots 55 gr NBTVs lights out.

So I ordered an 18" BSF 223 bull barrel on sale from Rainier today for $399 clamaroonies. Lots of sub MOA reports with factory ammo popping up on the worldwide web along with 1/2 MOA with load workup. I buy the claims given my experience with CFs stiffness and vibration dampening. Will be interesting to see how it cools compared to my Proof.

So the Ultimate Lightweight Precision Grendel has now become a Lightweight Precision Race Carbine. It could probably do double duty and have an optic for each on Geissele Super Precision mounts if I wanted to go that route.

Been thinking about doing this for a while. Was between a Lightweight JP 18er and a midweight Proof CF 18er. The $399 did the trick. The Proof would be lighter but is twice as expensive and 1/2 MOA is good enough for this rifle. The JP gets to over $600 with black teflon and the cooling fins. It's the same weight as the BSF (31 oz) but the fins then add 6 oz.

Still trying to figure out the rest of it, but have found myself thinking about rolling the dice with a V Seven Lithium Aluminum handguard. They offer all of their handguards in 13.5". Everyone else does a 12 then a 15. 12" could be a little short for barrier shooting, 15" is unnecessary. 13.5" is a nice compromise. A CF handguard might also get a bit nicked up barrier shooting - I'd be willing to wager that would happen before an Li Al alloy corrodes. Plus the Smoke handguard is wide - might be difficult to left hand stabilize on barriers. I'll have to wait and see if I can get an ALG handguard over a .936 gas block once the barrel arrives.

Currently estimating 5.4 lbs for complete rifle and 6.6 if I put my Vortex HS LR 2.5-10x32 with XLR reticle on it.

Not expecting to finish ordering stuff until Memorial Day sales. I'll probably have to decide by then if I want to just get another SSA-E on sale or a single stage. Maybe a Geissele SSP.

Sorry folks. I don't "need" another 6.5 Grendel - I've got the 18er, 22er and 26 6mm Grrrrrrrr. I do "need" an accurate 1:8 twist 223. I do feel a bit like a schmuck given how many views this thread has had. Well, not really! And if the BSF is as accurate out to 500 with 55gr varmint bullets as my 1:9 BHW, maybe I'll put that barrel away for a rainy day and have BHW make me a 22 LBC.
                              Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Bigs28
                                Chieftain
                                • Feb 2016

I'm very happy with my brigand arms handguard. And their 12" is actually 12.75"

Comment

Working...
                                X