• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bowhntr6pt
    Warrior
    • Feb 2017

This evenings kill

150 yards, 16" AA barrel, Leupold MK AR, Hornady 123 ELD Match. Actually heard the impact... a first for me. It fast walked about 50 yards to the woodline and laid down. Skeeters were so bad I really did not care to find the actual entry... but it appeared there was no exit.

• Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

That's what in talking about!!! Awesome shot!

I dig your rifle.. alot.. those Mark AR scopes make a much better hunting scope than many realize. I'm using the 123 eld for whitetail this year, so good too see more dead critters!

Comment

• AZBackcountry
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2016

Well done. I'm glad to see that Florida didn't get destroyed like the media is claiming.
      Life is fun when your ammo budget is more than your house payment.

Comment

• Lone Hunter
        Warrior
        • Jan 2017

Nice shot. I'm with Kilco this year. Will be using the ELD M out of my AR and will have to see what the Howa Mini Action will shoot. Hope it shoots good, the AR sure does. I have never heard the impact either. Most of my shots are too close to hear it. Shot 2 over 300 yds and never heard the impact.. Is that a Magpul grip?

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

Very good!
          Kill a hog. Save the planet.
          My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• AZBackcountry
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2016

I accidentally hit "Post". I have the Mark AR 4-12X40 Mil on my Grendel with a 22" barrel 2660 fps 123 SST's. Did you get a custom turret? I'm zeroed at 200 yards so I'm dropping 2 foot at 400 yards. I'm weighing the standard 3100 fps 5.56 55 gr turret or is it worth the money for custom or do I just dope chart it for a 800 yard shot.

Comment

• Kilco
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by AZBackcountry View Post
              I accidentally hit "Post". I have the Mark AR 4-12X40 Mil on my Grendel with a 22" barrel 2660 fps 123 SST's. Did you get a custom turret? I'm zeroed at 200 yards so I'm dropping 2 foot at 400 yards. I'm weighing the standard 3100 fps 5.56 55 gr turret or is it worth the money for custom or do I just dope chart it for a 800 yard shot.
              Your barrel is fast! SST at 2660 is a death pill for sure.

I used to scoff at the Leupold CDS turrets, but for my 123 eld-m loads in my 16" rifle it gets me out to 525 yards accurately with a very nice zero stop.

If Im shooting beyond 600 yards or any kind of precision work you can be sure I'll be dialing a formula. But for ethical kill shots with my Grendel (350...400 if it's a critter than makes .e warm and fuzzy inside) the CDS works marvelous.

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
                Warrior
                • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Lone Hunter View Post
                Nice shot. I'm with Kilco this year. Will be using the ELD M out of my AR and will have to see what the Howa Mini Action will shoot. Hope it shoots good, the AR sure does. I have never heard the impact either. Most of my shots are too close to hear it. Shot 2 over 300 yds and never heard the impact.. Is that a Magpul grip?
                Yes... MagPul grip.

AZ... south FL got smashed... I'm up in central FL, the eye came over us but the storm had dissipated a good bit, still some considerable damage and power loss for a week in some areas.

The Leupold MK AR scope has a thick reticle, something I like when hunting, no so much when trying to shoot precision at 100 yards as it covers perhaps 2".

Comment

• AZBackcountry
                  Bloodstained
                  • Nov 2016

I'm going to upgrade to the CDC turrets. I've been using the Applied Ballistics ($10) dope "Trajectory" chart from my cell phone. My other scopes are Mil-R and listed in the app so I use the "Single Shot" adjustments.
                  I shoot paper, steel or water jugs when practicing but my obsession is hunting. I didn't think I'd like the thick reticle at first. I had to buy the sticker targets to even sight in. My brain reverted back to my 30-30 bead sights; the bullet hits the center of what's covered. The thick hair is great in low light.
                  I only take shots at standing calm game at 600 yards or less with a rifle or 60 yards with a bow. Coyotes to 800 and even then not moving. 400 or less on walking. 40 years ago I shot a perpendicular running mule deer at 250-300 with my 7 Mag. Using box dope data, I aimed 2 feet in front of him and hit the liver. I learned a lot that day.
                  I am going hog hunting someday and have watched several hundred hours of video to learn their movements. They have different style movements and habits than Javelina. I've watched every Double Naught Spy's video on the net. Great contribution!
                  Our line crews are just now coming home from Harvey. The contract crews will finish the final work. I got a text picture on Tuesday of our local crew setting a pole in 6 inches of water. They used the spoils as a berm and foamed the pole hole.

Comment

• AZBackcountry
                    Bloodstained
                    • Nov 2016

Leopold Custom MilR Turret cropped.jpg
                    I emailed Leopold Custom Shop and asked them if they would make me a CDS turret that has milliradian marks with big numbers like the windage turret. I wanted the milliradian because my doping app is easily set to it. The problem with the custom turret for a particular load is that if I switch between bullet weights or powder charges then the turret wouldn't tell me the right settings. The doping app does custom loads very easily. I can see the numbers without putting reading glasses on. The turret arrived in 3 weeks. Kudos to Leopold!!!!

Comment

• xlcc
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2016

Originally posted by AZBackcountry View Post
                      What load are you useing to get 2660 fps with a 123 SST?

Comment

Working...
                      X