• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Troutguide
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

Buyers remorse.

So I am in the market for a new scope for my 12" pistol build I mostly want to use it for hog hunting from 20-300 yds. I am currently using a crap scope pulled from an older gun, it does not do the barrel justice. While looking I found a Vortex Optics Diamondback HP Rifle Scope 3-12x 42mm Side Focus Dead-Hold BDC Reticle on sale at midway for $275.65 and jumped on the deal bc I didn't want to miss a sale. Turns out it was the only one they had on sale bc it immediately went back to regular price of $329.00 after I ordered. Now that I have had time to look back and do some research I am having a little buyers remorse. It weighs 18 oz. So I can put it on my Howa Mini and pull the 3x9 nikon and put it on the pistol but it is still going to be heavy on the Mini. Most of the deer I kill are less than 50yd but I want to stretch out both while hunting(pronghorn?) and on targets, would love to be proficient to 600+. Anyone have an opinion on this scope and is it worth the extra weight? Should I return it and go with a Redfield 3x9 TAC at 12.6 oz and same price and put it on the pistol? This is what I was planning on until I saw the vortex on sale. Any other highly recommended lightweight scopes under $300?
    Last edited by Troutguide; 09-24-2017, 12:36 PM.
    "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG
  • 1075 tech
    Warrior
    • Apr 2015

I can't really compare it to other scopes, but I have two of them. One has the BDC and the other has the V-Plex reticle. But they are on my 16" builds for hunting. Most of my hunting is within 100 yds but some of the areas I hunt do allow the opportunity to stretch out to around 400.

In my limited experience, I like them, but I mostly hunt from a stand or other static point so a few oz is not that much of a concern for me.

I have the Crossfire II 3-9 on my daughter's 243, and the Strike Eagle that will probably go on my 556 once I get some issues figured out with that.

Comment

• rabiddawg
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2013

I think there is a whole light weight scope discussion on the board some where.

Fwiw, I went with a 1-4 leupold on my 12" build.
      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Kilco
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2016

They are an awesome scope for the money.

I don't think you will regret it.

I use a Redfield Revolution TAC on a few rifles and it's also a great value scope.

Glass has come a long ways in the past few years in the blower budget optics.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Comment

• Troutguide
            Warrior
            • Jan 2017

Leupold VX-2 Rifle Scope 2-7x 33mm Custom Dial System (CDS) Wind-Plex Reticle Matte, Kilco you have this one right? Thoughts after owning for a while? Looks like it would be great for the 12"

Comment

• Kilco
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Troutguide View Post
              Leupold VX-2 Rifle Scope 2-7x 33mm Custom Dial System (CDS) Wind-Plex Reticle Matte, Kilco you have this one right? Thoughts after owning for a while? Looks like it would be great for the 12"
              For my lightweight hunting 16" gun it's a perfect fit. Very light at 10oz I believe, and the glass is very very good at low light. This far it has tracked perfectly and returns to zero every time.

I was surprised by the wind plex reticle, it isn't nearly as thick as the pictures lead you to believe, yet not too thin to be usable at low light.

Only thing, that's not really a "thing" for a lightweight carry rifle, is 7x is a little more difficult for 100 yard load development than the previous 3-9 the rifle wore. Now I find myself switching to a viper 6.5-20 for load dev, once I found the load/data i was lookiing for i put the VX2 back on.

Comment

• Troutguide
                Warrior
                • Jan 2017

The Nikon is the Prostaff model and weighs in at 13oz so it would be fine on the 12" but I will be keeping an eye out for a good deal on the VX-2 as it seems the perfect fit. I am thinking the better glass will make the 7x better than the cheaper 9X for what i plan to do with the 12". I will decide for sure when the Vortex arrives and I can look through it in person. If it is markedly better than the Nikon I will keep it and hold off on a new scope for the 12". I am hoping to have enough cash left to start reloading or I would just get both now. This whole accuracy thing is addictive and every piece plays a role. I think I have good barrels that will do it if I get good enough glass and then the right loads I should have the tiny groups I am now obsessed with. Funny thing is I am really trying to build hunting rigs so the ~MOA groups I get are more than good enough.

Comment

• Kilco
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2016

Not going to knock the vortex though. The Diamondback line is very underrated. I have a diamonback tactical 4-12 on my 6mm Creedmoor Ruger Predator and the glass is very nice for the price point.

I think you will be pleased once you get your hands on it.

Comment

• kpswihart
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2016

May be old school, but check out Ebay. Sometimes good deals can be had and with many manufacturers offering no question warranties there is less of a gamble. Just a thought. I've got a Leupold MK AR on my 18" gun. Our formal range goes out to 440. No challenge going out to the max there and we've been out to 760 with it. Sure, better glass would be cool and is in the works, but this has done everything I've needed to date. Think I paid $207 on Ebay with a Burris Pepr included. Your mileage may vary.
                    Last edited by kpswihart; 11-24-2017, 12:14 AM.

Comment

• Texas
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2016

I am using a red dot on my pistol and it is very effective out past 200 yards -- and light.

Comment

• Troutguide
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2017

I have never shot a red dot. I can't imagine shooting 200 without magnification, but I need to try shooting one sometime just so I have a reference.

Comment

Working...
                        X