• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Hogs & Coyotes Down!

I have pretty well convinced my hunting partner, Dave, that Grendel is the way to go. His Grendel is now his preferred hunting rifle. My apologies on noting the ammo that he used. I don't know if he knows for sure what it is other than 100 gr. blemished bullets with polymer tips, LOL.

I had a bit of an off night. It started from the first during a demo with one of the landowners where I could not steady up and plagued me during much of the night, though I redeemed myself later on a running coyote and the last sequence of hogs. I had the shakes like I had consumed too much Jolt Cola, but that certainly had not happened, LOL.

The video came out nicely. Hopefully, y'all will enjoy it.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

Another good video. Off shooting days just happen, I have them sometimes.

100gr blems, without seeing them my bet would be Nosler Ballistic tips

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

Awesome video!!! Landowners must love you down there..

Big boom of large quantity cattle farmers up here in northern Maine that have been calling me for coyote control in the past few weeks... anxious to get into the thermal game and make a video or two... hope you don't mind if I hijack your format.... so clean, informative and fun to watch.

Comment

• 37L1
        Warrior
        • Jan 2015

You may have had the jitters but to hit a running coyote in full stride is some awesome shooting.

Nice hunt!

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
          Warrior
          • Feb 2017

Outstanding shot on the running coyote! About how far out were the two hogs (where yours went behind the damn)?

Comment

• just_john
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2012

DNS - Your usual Awesome!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by 37L1 View Post
              You may have had the jitters but to hit a running coyote in full stride is some awesome shooting.

Nice hunt!
              I have a couple of issues that have plagued me that go back to my brief period of pistol competition shooting. I found that I could shoot better groups during timed draw and fire exercises than I could just trying to stand still and shoot for groups. It all comes down to the mental game - over thinking it. Sometimes, the less time I have to think about what I am doing, the better I can do, LOL.

Originally posted by Bowhntr6pt View Post
              Outstanding shot on the running coyote! About how far out were the two hogs (where yours went behind the damn)?
              Here are the distance estimates. What follows is how they were derived (contrived?).

The distance to Dave's hog in the woods was 150 yards +/- 10 yards.
              The distance to my hog that ran was 245 yards +/- 20 yards
              The distance to my hog on the dam when it was shot in the rump 295 yards +/- 25 yards

So you caught that, did you, my exclusion of distances? You know I try to include distances in my videos so that viewers can better understand the shots that are being made. When possible (memory, time and signal permitting), I will use my phone's GPS. When that isn't possible, I will pace off the distance or more commonly, will use Google Earth to estimate the distance if I have some key reference landmarks in a field to use. I wasn't comfortable with proclaiming numbers on the stalks in this video because I was not very sure of more exact locations. In particular, I wasn't very sure exactly where we were as we were in an open field with few landmarks. For the hogs, I can give you some numbers, but keep in mind that they are error prone.

I went back and looked at the raw footage to try to determine where we were in the field. I can fairly well place the hogs due to trees that I can correlate on Google Earth. In rewatching the video, I noticed that I panned across a telephone pole when shooting at the hog on the dam. I had not caught salient aspect when putting together the video. The telephone pole is a known location and using a little mechanical triangulation (drawing lines on the map) I can roughly figure out where we were standing.
              Kill a hog. Save the planet.
              My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Texas
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2016

Thank you for the videos!

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                  I have a couple of issues that have plagued me that go back to my brief period of pistol competition shooting. I found that I could shoot better groups during timed draw and fire exercises than I could just trying to stand still and shoot for groups. It all comes down to the mental game - over thinking it. Sometimes, the less time I have to think about what I am doing, the better I can do, LOL.

Here are the distance estimates. What follows is how they were derived (contrived?).

The distance to Dave's hog in the woods was 150 yards +/- 10 yards.
                  The distance to my hog that ran was 245 yards +/- 20 yards
                  The distance to my hog on the dam when it was shot in the rump 295 yards +/- 25 yards

So you caught that, did you, my exclusion of distances? You know I try to include distances in my videos so that viewers can better understand the shots that are being made. When possible (memory, time and signal permitting), I will use my phone's GPS. When that isn't possible, I will pace off the distance or more commonly, will use Google Earth to estimate the distance if I have some key reference landmarks in a field to use. I wasn't comfortable with proclaiming numbers on the stalks in this video because I was not very sure of more exact locations. In particular, I wasn't very sure exactly where we were as we were in an open field with few landmarks. For the hogs, I can give you some numbers, but keep in mind that they are error prone.

I went back and looked at the raw footage to try to determine where we were in the field. I can fairly well place the hogs due to trees that I can correlate on Google Earth. In rewatching the video, I noticed that I panned across a telephone pole when shooting at the hog on the dam. I had not caught salient aspect when putting together the video. The telephone pole is a known location and using a little mechanical triangulation (drawing lines on the map) I can roughly figure out where we were standing.
                  Thanks for the information on distance... I was more interested in the distance as the Thermal quality looks great.

Comment

• derek45
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jun 2017

NICE SHOT on the runner !

NRA LIFE

USPSA-IPSC

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

-Jeff Cooper

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

That running shot on the coyote was legendary. You could hear the impact too.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                      X