X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

After three nights of hunting and 16 or 17 suppressed rounds fired with the magazine being topped off to stay full, I am pleased to say that I am not seeing near the nastiness that I would normally see deposited on the remaining rounds of the magazine. Usually what I see at the bottom of the magazine are rounds with blackened deposits, some of which are not just seen, but felt as raised areas, plus blotchy discoloration of the brass (corrosion?). In the past, I would use steel wool or a brillo pad to clean these last remaining rounds between hunts so that they would feed better. Here is a pic of the magazine after the hunt was over. You can see that there are still some white/gray deposits on the brass, but the brass is not discolored. If I was to assign a numeric value to the difference in how much better the brass looks, I would have to say that it looks 50-70% better that with not using a piston system on a suppressed rifle. If you think the use of numbers is to quantify something that is only qualifiable, I understand. I would then say that the rounds in the mag look substantially less deteriorated after using a piston system on a suppressed rifle over direct impingement on a suppressed rifle.20171001_011758.jpg
    Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 10-02-2017, 06:10 PM.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

Got pix of the guts of the piston hardware, or do I have to actually Google it?
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

Sorry I missed your query.
        Piston 1a.jpgPiston 2a.jpgPiston 3a.jpg

These were pics from when it was being installed. The third pic with the extra spring, the extra spring is a mag release spring that can be substituted for the spring on the op bar (as per Superlative Arms) if you don't want to buy replacements from them.

So far I have right at 120 rounds after getting the system adjusted on my rifle. I have had only one issue and that was a stovepipe. I am not certain of the cause of the stovepipe. I had the brass catcher on, but closed. This has caused me issues a couple of times in the past. I don't know if it was the cause this time or just something didn't cycle right. Otherwise, the system is running quite well.

It continues to run MUCH cleaner with a suppressor than when I was running a suppressor on my DI guns.
        Kill a hog. Save the planet.
        My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

Working...
        X