Clear All
  • Swling
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2017

New member in the Seattle area.

• Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

Welcome friend!! Love your past rifles..

Sounds like the Grendel is a perfect fit for what you want to do.

The wolf ammo is great plinking stuff... somewhere on here there was a gel-test I believe butni can't remember the thread.

Comment

• just_john
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2012

Swling, welcome to the Clan from the Great State of Texas! It appears that you have a great start in the bang-toys dept and are now ready to ice the cake! Be WARNED! The Grendel is contagious. It is seldom that there is still just one after any reasonable period of time. If we can be of any service, please ask!

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Swling, take a look at the group buy section and watch for good sales in the link below. Helps if you can buy small items and do your build over time.

The Vile Unwashed masses of the Horde are howling for good deals. You find one, let the rest of us in on it and we will gather like wolves on a downed moose!
        Last edited by VASCAR2; 09-26-2017, 11:33 PM.

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

Welcome! You've done you research so I'm sure you know Grendel can get you close to your old 6.5 Jap's velocities with less barrel length and a heck of a lot less recoil. So naysayers be damned! My 7.7 Jap (1941) is my second favorite military rifle even though its peep sites disagree with my Germanic facial structure (nothing will ever come close to my K31). I've been wanting to find a 6.5 mate for Mr. Narikawa, but have yet to find anyone worthy
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Kilco
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2016

Love me some K31!

Comment

• StoneHendge
              Chieftain
              • May 2016

One of these days I'm going to buy the clamp on scope mount and rings to see what she can really do. The trigger is what's really absurd - 1.8 lbs of really long take up then 0.9 on the break
              Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard. .257 Roberts was my grandpa's pet cartridge.

The 6.5 Grendel with a 120gr or 123gr has about the same muzzle velocity of the 117gr Remington Core Lokt factory load (2650fps), but since the 6.5mm projectiles have much higher BCs than .257 bullets, retained energy and hit probability are higher. You can hand load the .257 Roberts much faster though in a modern action to +P pressures, pushing a 117gr to 2900fps with H4350, IMR 4350, and IMR 4831, at which point it pulls well ahead of the Grendel within the first 250yds. The 300fps slower Grendel has just about caught up with it by 350yds, and passes it for energy by 475yds.

.257 Roberts is considered one of the ideal deer rifle cartridges out there, not much recoil, plenty of power to kill medium game with authority, flat-shooting, lightweight rifle.

I would place Grendel in the same class of cartridges with the .257 Roberts since the boat tail bullets of the Grendel help it retain energy similar to the .257 Bob. The beauty of the Grendel is that you get similar performance from such a smaller action and shorter case, that fits within the AR15.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Swling
                  Unwashed
                  • Sep 2017

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
                  Welcome! You've done you research so I'm sure you know Grendel can get you close to your old 6.5 Jap's velocities with less barrel length and a heck of a lot less recoil. So naysayers be damned! My 7.7 Jap (1941) is my second favorite military rifle even though its peep sites disagree with my Germanic facial structure (nothing will ever come close to my K31). I've been wanting to find a 6.5 mate for Mr. Narikawa, but have yet to find anyone worthy
                  I would love a K-31, I grew up near a man who was working in the US from a Swiss Company and he hunted dear with one. He allowed me to shoot it on several occasions, what a piece of art. Yes I am sure impressed with what the Grendel can do in such a short package.

Comment

• Swling
                    Unwashed
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                    Welcome aboard. .257 Roberts was my grandpa's pet cartridge....

I would place Grendel in the same class of cartridges with the .257 Roberts since the boat tail bullets of the Grendel help it retain energy similar to the .257 Bob. The beauty of the Grendel is that you get similar performance from such a smaller action and shorter case, that fits within the AR15.
                    Thanks for the welcome. Yes I loved that 257 Roberts, unfortunately I didn't have it for very long. I am excited about having somethi8ng in that power class in the AR15 platform.

Comment

• Swling
                      Unwashed
                      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                      Welcome to the forum Swling, take a look at the group buy section and watch for good sales in the link below. Helps if you can buy small items and do your build over time.

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...-Grendel-Deals
                      Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the link to the group by page, I will definitely keep my eye on that. I have been thinking about doing a build from parts bought over time.

Comment

• Swling
                        Unwashed
                        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by just_john View Post
                        Swling, welcome to the Clan from the Great State of Texas! It appears that you have a great start in the bang-toys dept and are now ready to ice the cake! Be WARNED! The Grendel is contagious. It is seldom that there is still just one after any reasonable period of time. If we can be of any service, please ask!

Thanks for the welcome and the warning! Yes I think I am already coming down with it. I have already convinced myself that I need a hunting upper in something like 18" and now I am also thinking that I should also have a pistol version as well. You know for knocking around on the motor bike and house gun....

And then maybe I should have a 24" upper with a decent scope for stretching it out....

and then...

and then...

Comment

• Swling
                          Unwashed
                          • Sep 2017

Kilco, thanks for the welcome. I have had some good rifles for sure, my current hunting rifle, a krag, is a good one too but the barrel is getting old.

Comment

• Texas
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum Swling, you really can't go wrong with selecting a Grendel. Thank you for your service!

Comment

Working...
                            X