• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AP Smizzlers
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2017

Shortest grendel experience?

What's the shortest grendel SBR you've experienced? I already have a 12.5" but wondered if there was any logic to building something shorter for a PDW.
  • explorecaves
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Depends on your application.... I have a 12" and with 129gr ABLR I should be effective out to 350 or so with whitetail and reliable expansion out to 600....
    Last edited by explorecaves; 09-29-2017, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• Bigs28
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2016

Hello Horde: Just thought I would let you guys know about a test we did recently on Short Barrels. We tested: 7.5 Bartlien at 100 Yards. Groups averaged 1.5 Inches 2000 FPS 123 Match King 8.5 Bartlien at 100 Yards. Groups Averaged 1.4 Inches 2100 FPS 123 Match King 10.5 Bartlien at 100 Yards. Groups averaged .9 Inches 2200

Comment

• Kilco
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2016

129 ABLR is a game changer for hunting with a Grendel SBR. Super low expansion threashold.

Comment

• explorecaves
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
          129 ABLR is a game changer for hunting with a Grendel SBR. Super low expansion threashold.
          It is... Unfortunately, I do not know of a factory load for this anymore now that Mark at PF is potentially no longer loading for Grendel...

Comment

• Jakal
            Warrior
            • May 2014

I'm running a 12.5 Lilja with 27 grains of XBR under this bullet. 2145 fps muzzle velocity and a 200 yard zero. At 200 yards, I'm at 1879 fps @ 1011 ft #s. At 400, its running at 1630 fps @ 770 ft #s. Even though this bullet will open down to 1300 fps, you will be on the low end of energy, if you use 1000 ft #'s for Midwestern whitetails rule.

Check out this post and go to the post inside of it.

I've sent mark a couple emails about making me a 10.5" grendel sbr. He posted that they were getting 0.9 inch groups with muzzle velocities of 2200fps with match kings. I know the ablr will have a different muzzle velocity but not sure what it was so I put 2200 in my calculator and I was showing the ablr over 1300fps out
            Last edited by Jakal; 09-29-2017, 12:21 PM.
            ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• AP Smizzlers
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2017

The 12.5" 65G SBR is my favorite rifle right now. It's a great balance of weight, size and lethal capabilities.

People say the 300 Blackout is a great option for a personal defense weapon. It's quite effective in barrels as short as 8". I was wondering how something around that length would perform. Part of my hope was to only have two calibers for the AR-15 platform; Grendel and 556.

From the information published by Precision Firearms:
              8.5 Bartlien 2100 FPS 123 Match King

And info from the interwebs on the 110gr Barnes TSX
              8" 300 Blackout 2051 FPS 110 Barnes

I'm sure there are a lot more variables that I'm not educated enough to ask about, but I'll try and learn and keep the discussion moving. Thanks for the input, apologies for the ignorance.

For instance, I'm sure the 129 ABLR would be much more effective in an even shorter barrel. Unfortunately I don't reload.

Comment

• yoni
                Unwashed
                • Mar 2017

But I have been looking for a 7.5" to 8.5" barrel to build a PDW with and can't seem to find one. I would rather do it is 6.5 than 300Blk. I want less rifle calibers rather than more, 5.56 is hands down the first and then the second I would love it to be 6.5. But I want to build a small PDW for one application I have.

Comment

• Bigs28
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2016

This listing is for Barrel and Bolt Only!!! 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Cut Rifled Barrel 5R Rifling 1-8 Twist Stainless .720 Muzzle target crowned .750 Gas Block - Medium HBAR Profile Rifle Gas System PF Bolt matched to barrel by us Chambered in house to extreme match specifications Test Fired with 3 rounds Options: Fluted with 6 flutes Front and Back sections inhouse by PF Fluted with 8 Flutes Front and Back Threaded 5/8x24 Lead time Uppers get are 6-8 weeks, Barrels are 10-12 weeks.

7.5" and 8.5" options

Comment

• yoni
                    Unwashed
                    • Mar 2017

Now I feel stupid since I have gone many times to their web page.

Comment

• AP Smizzlers
                      Bloodstained
                      • Sep 2017

I just purchased this:

This may be the start of a great build.

Comment

• Effenpig
                        Unwashed
                        • Nov 2017

Originally posted by AP Smizzlers View Post
                        I just purchased this:

This may be the start of a great build.
                        Are the BHW barrels still using the .125" bolt?

Comment

• jurassic
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Effenpig View Post
                          Are the BHW barrels still using the .125" bolt?
                          Yes

Comment

• AP Smizzlers
                            Bloodstained
                            • Sep 2017

Any Type I bolt preferences?

Comment

Working...
                            X