• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • King31
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2016

SST Inside 100

I am planning on using my Grendel in Indiana on whitetail deer for the first time ever since the caliber just became legal. I have a 20" barrel (I know not ideal) but will I have any problems on shooting a deer if it is 10-20 yards? I know decreasing velocity out near 100 will have no problems as long as I do my part. Everything I have read talks about max take down distance, but is there a minimum? Thanks everyone!
    Trevor | NRA Life Member
  • Wafavre2
    Warrior
    • Feb 2017

With your rig and factory SST rounds your good to 300 yards if you can keep it within minute of pie plate!

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

Even at point blank with the Grendel, I don't think you will have enough velocity to completely blow up the SST. massive expansion no doubt.

The volume 2 Grendel reloading handbook has an illustration of an SST impacting at close to max Grendel velocity and it is still intact.

Comment

• King31
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2016

Oddly enough I am about 15 pages from seeing that useful figure! Wish I would've waited until I finished the manual. Haha thanks Kilco, it looks like I will have no problems.

Farve I appreciate the info, but I'm lucky if I can see 100 yards from where I'm hunting. It's THICK.
        Trevor | NRA Life Member

Comment

• Troutguide
          Warrior
          • Jan 2017

I feel your pain King. This is my first year with the Grendel and I am planning to hunt with SST as well. The last 4-6 deer I have killed have been within 50yds and some as close as 15yds, really no other choice where I hunt of the bucks. Everything I have heard and read indicated that the factory SST is good to go from my 20" Howa, but it still makes me a little nervous. Excited to give it a try.
          "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

From a 24" Grendel:

2663fps impact velocity resulted in 18" of penetration, .620" caliber expansion, and 81% weight retained.

That's DRT medicine right there.

Volume II is really a great resource for those with questions about hunting with the Grendel, even if you don't reload.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• King31
              Bloodstained
              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              From a 24" Grendel:

2663fps impact velocity resulted in 18" of penetration, .620" caliber expansion, and 81% weight retained.

That's DRT medicine right there.

Volume II is really a great resource for those with questions about hunting with the Grendel, even if you don't reload.
              I concur. Troutguide it is definitely worth the money if you are on the fence. I really enjoyed the figures and useful information that went along with the hunting bullets. Can't wait for season to come in, but until then it is zeroing my rifle and studying ballistics in the case I get an opportunity!
              Trevor | NRA Life Member

Comment

• Troutguide
                Warrior
                • Jan 2017

Oh I am going to get the books when I can, just trying to watch my pennies right now this dang round has me spending everything I can to build and improve guns, not even gotten to start reloading yet.
                "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

King- I dropped my last deer- in 2015 at 21 yds. with a 77 grn. Gmx custom bullet-

280 lbs. live wt. Down he went- spinal shot.

The123 sst will perform out to 250 yds. Easily.

I used the 129sst out to 400 yds. I prefer the 129 as a lead core pill
                  Last edited by sneaky one; 10-01-2017, 04:54 AM.

Comment

• kmon
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2015

I have no doubt the 123SST will work on deer at shorter ranges like 10-20 yards, as it works on hogs that close.

Comment

• Buck2732
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2012

I used a 129sst for this shot.

I set off last night at 19:30 to go to my high seat. After a quick look around the land that I have permission to shoot over seeing nowt but rabbits, I quickly walked to the oak tree the seat is up against. The high seat is the only way to get a safe shot here as the land is flat being on the margins of the fens. After
                      Buck2732

"You will know you are in a nuclear attack by the bright flash, loud explosion, widespread destruction, intense heat, strong winds and the rising of a mushroom cloud".

"I have no idea what weapons will be used in the next world war... but I do know that world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones". A Einstein.

PER ARDUA

Comment

• Kilco
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Buck2732 View Post
                        That's a FAT deer! Good shootin!

Comment

• Texas
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Troutguide View Post
                          Oh I am going to get the books when I can, just trying to watch my pennies right now this dang round has me spending everything I can to build and improve guns, not even gotten to start reloading yet.
                          Still have the press and scales.

Comment

Working...
                          X