X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mad Charlie
    Warrior
    • May 2017

As Kmon has pointed out, Hornady lock rings will work with the Forster, but I would much rather use Forster rings. I have used both over time.

There are stainless steel lock rings available that fit the Forster perfectly, for those that worry about somehow pushing a die through an alum. lock ring

(not likely).

The priming system on the Forster is actually is easy to use, if you address priming cases as a separate step (batch prime) and leave the die out of the press. It gives positive seating

with good feel, but you have to set it up for each different size case. I happen to have mine set up for .308 large primer at this time, but I am going to change it over

to the Grendel soon, as that is what I am going to be working with the most for a while. As a matter of fact, when I am not priming on the 550 or the Forster, I use the

RCBS Ram Prime on the Rockchucker, because I like the feel of the system, It is not "high production" though.

Some folks don't like to handle primers individually, fearing primer contamination from skin oil, but I tell you what, it's pretty damn hard to kill a primer, and it's not too hard to wash and dry your hands.
    Last edited by Mad Charlie; 10-02-2017, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• JASmith
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2014

I have both presses also and, like LR and others, recommend going with the Co-Ax.

One thing to note, however: As one who has inserted shells into the standard shell holder on the order of 100,000 times over the years, using the Forster shell holder takes some concentration until the new muscle memory comes into play.
      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Bill257
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2015

The Forester Co Ax has a great priming feel - however it is slow as each primer is loaded by hand.

The only trick I can add is to slightly lift the handle to remove all tension from the shell holder springs when changing from the large to small shell holder. This prevents the most common complaint with the Co-Ax, springs flying into parts unknown when changing the shell holder.

good luck

Comment

• lrgrendel
          Warrior
          • Jul 2013

Hey Guys.

Thanks for ALL the feed back. Been very helpful. Asking questions here always helps!

I also called Forster today with some questions. They were very helpful as always.

I am going with the Forster Co AX. I am probably going to buy that short handle to make the "throw" a little bit shorter.
          No magnums etc.

Coming inside from my garage as mentioned before. Looks I will have to settle on some sort of computer desk with a hutch but can't find anything 36" high. (6'2" I want that semi bar height!)

Comment

• 65Whelen
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

Just a couple additional comments, tonight I was loading some 35 Remington which I haven't done in a while. The RCBS locking rings don't fit into the Forster. I robbed a ring off of Hornady die, problem solved. Also, instead of paying for the short handle, what is it $20?. Just shorten the standard handle, hacksaw and a file, same result.

Comment

• Bobke
              Warrior
              • Dec 2015

Have been using RCBS presses/dies for 45 years, with pretty good results, but when I started down the inevitable path of greater precision, went to Redding bushing dies, which have proven excellent in every case. That said, always seem to have a few cases that would exceed my standard for runout, in spite of annealing, dry neck lube (highly recommend), etc. Found a deal over on Snipers Hide for a near new CoAx and in a couple of weeks of use and sorting die settings out, that mysterious runout has almost disappeared-down under .002, worst case. In terms of continuous process improvements, the CoAx has proven to be one of a handful of investments that will yield far more than initial $$ in terms of improved accuracy and consistency. Yet another variable eliminated. That said, adjusting to the longer handle arc is just something I'll learn to accept and live with.

Comment

• bj139
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2017

Thanks, Bobke.
                I have to look into buying the CoAx.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 2011

Bobke, I'm looking into the CoAx, as well, and apparently they sell a shorter handle?
                  :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Bobke
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2015

I actually have the Inline Fabrication handle, and mounts. The std handle is there, and could cut a few inches off, but in trying both, the Inline handle provides best leverage for FL sizing.

Comment

• lrgrendel
                      Warrior
                      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                      Bobke, I'm looking into the CoAx, as well, and apparently they sell a shorter handle?

Comment

• pinzgauer
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2011

Co-ax. Use one and you'll never go back

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                          Administrator
                          • Feb 2011

Pinzgauer, reviews of the Co-ax say the priming system is too slow and labor intensive. Your opinion?
                          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• pinzgauer
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                            Pinzgauer, reviews of the Co-ax say the priming system is too slow and labor intensive. Your opinion?
                            I use stainless/brass upgraded Lee Autoprime, and stock Autoprime prior to that. So a non-issue for me.

No primer tube on the Forster, which makes it manual/fiddly. But it does give good feel seating, as does the Autoprime.

I do occasionally use the Forster primer for special situations.

I prime as a separate step anyway.

Comment

• pinzgauer
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2011

Probably should have mentioned, the coax has many other advantages that more than offset any priming issue. But I didn't use press priming even before I got the coax.

On the longer handle point, I choke up on it for fast stuff, but they do make the short handle.

Die changes are instantaneous, and I use hornady or Lyman lock rings. Or Foresters if the dies come with them. (I swap out the Phillips head for a hex cap screw if needed)

No need to fool with different shell holders, and the base of the cartridge rest directly on the press tram.

If you do swap between small base and large base quite a bit it does take a few seconds to switch over. And as LR mentioned, keep an eye on the little springs. They're super cheap, and I just keep extras on hand.

I don't reload 556 or 9mm much, so pretty much everything I do is large base Rifle and Pistol. So it's not an issue for me. I can swap calibers or dies literally in 4-5 seconds.

I've never sat down and analyzed the motion, but the most noticeable difference is that the pressure on the throw with the handle occurs at a different point. Both the timing and the camming action.

Mine dates from the early 80s, bought it used from a friend who would not use that much. I've loaded a ton of stuff on it since then. I keep it covered with a small pillow case with a hole in the corner for the handle to go through to keep dust off of it. Occasionally hit the vertical guides and the shell plate with a little Grease.

I expect one of my kids will be using this press 20-30 years from now if reloading is still allowed.

Comment

• Bobke
                                Warrior
                                • Dec 2015

I abandoned press generated priming years ago for the better feel of a tray fed hand priming tools. Broke a handful of Lee tools over the years, went to RCBS and haven't looked back since. Good feel, fast, and now a way to utilize all those Redding and RCBS shell holders that have gone idle with purchase of CoAx.

Comment

Working...
                                X