Three Nights of Hunting - 18 Hogs (14 Grendel Kills)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Three Nights of Hunting - 18 Hogs (14 Grendel Kills)

I was invited out by my regular hunting buddy, Dave, to hunt with James whom I have hunted with 3 times previously, and a new guy, Bobby. This was to be over 3 nights. We hunted in Jack, Clay, Wichita, and Montague counties in North Texas. Dave is a recent convert to Grendel. James is a 6.8 guy and Bobby was shooting a 300 BLK.

In terms of weather and comfort, the first two nights were pretty terrible. We were always in rain, mist, fog or some combination of the three and the ground was wet, slippery, or sink-to-you-calf squishy. The cool temps and rain made everything without a heat source look homogeneous on thermal and so the thermal video does not look particularly good. Even worse, in such conditions, animals take on a much fuzzier image in thermal because they are both a heat source, but cooling through their wet fur which gives them very irregular outlines many times. On the third night, the weather changed and while the ground was still wet in areas, thermal imagery improved significantly.

No surprise, but the Grendels did well. I am also using a new upper with a Superlative Arms piston system and it is performing very well. I am still in the very early stages of testing, but once I got the gas pressure adjusted where I wanted it, the gun has run smoothly and much cleaner than it would be running with a suppressor and direct impingement.

Here are the three nights in order...

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

Keep slaying those hogs , good video's as usual . Thanks for shring

Comment

• just_john
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2012

Some guys have all the fun!

Comment

• Bigs28
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2016

Originally posted by just_john View Post
        That raccoon climbing the tree at the end of the second was hilarious.

Comment

• 37L1
          Warrior
          • Jan 2015

Darn, you're good at those running shots!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

Yeah, it is the standing still shots that are giving me the most trouble, LOL.

Comment

• jackwagon
              Warrior
              • Jul 2017

Nice shooting , another awesome video.

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

DNS, you're our fave hog eliminator guy - no attach to any other event. Hog Terminator. Coyotes too, plus the once in a while armadillo.

What the deuce are those mini tanks classified as- a rodent- a rabbit with armor- ??

Who funds all the ammo you use weekly ? Is this your only job? Inquiring minds need to know dude.

You explained only about 20 % to me last year.... you giggled about my mn accent that I don't have , more than an explanation- that was then....ummm

You have a fan base ! Inform the Mob please , thanks.

Oh, we started as a horde, then a gang ,,, we also have the side classification as a Mob. I like Mob -best.

Here's da deal...
                Last edited by sneaky one; 10-06-2017, 12:22 AM.

Comment

• Kilco
                  Chieftain
                  • Jan 2016

Awesome awesome awesome video!!!

Literally the best hunting video format of all time.

Those running shots are damn impressive.

Comment

• DJudge
                    Bloodstained
                    • Feb 2017

Awesome videos and running shots!!! Keep up the good work of hog eradication as Texas is overrun in many areas. Very interested in learning more about some of your equipment such as the piston setups and night vision.
                    Last edited by DJudge; 10-06-2017, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• Arkhangel5
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2016

DNS,
                      Nice shooting and vid as usual.

A serious question. How do you rate the 300BO as a hunting round? You first vid shows a runner, which I have seen in quite few other hunting vids.

Before I built my Grendel, I considered the 300BO, if only the ability to cycle the rifle suppressed, but vid after vid showed runners. And it was pretty much a 200yd and in platform to me, thus I went on to study the Grend and built one.

I dont mean to start a peeing match over Gren and 300bo, but you are the most experienced user of the Gren I have seen, and am curious as to your opinion.

SY

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                        Chieftain
                        • Sep 2013

Sneaky, you are funny man!

Originally posted by Arkhangel5 View Post
                        DNS,
                        Nice shooting and vid as usual.

A serious question. How do you rate the 300BO as a hunting round? You first vid shows a runner, which I have seen in quite few other hunting vids.

Before I built my Grendel, I considered the 300BO, if only the ability to cycle the rifle suppressed, but vid after vid showed runners. And it was pretty much a 200yd and in platform to me, thus I went on to study the Grend and built one.

I dont mean to start a peeing match over Gren and 300bo, but you are the most experienced user of the Gren I have seen, and am curious as to your opinion.

SY
                        I cannot tell you a whole lot about what I think because my experience with 300 BO is limited. My hunting partner, Dave, has a very low opinion of it. The three guys that I have hunted with that used 300 BO had questionable performance. Whether that was a caliber issue or a shooter issue, I could not tell you. If you want to shoot suppressed subsonic, then 300 BO is a good choice. Otherwise, I believe there are many better calibers available that perform as well or better, some for much less cost.

Comment

• Texas
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2016

Thanks for the continued supply of excellent videos!

Comment

• Lone Hunter
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by just_john View Post
                            Isn't that the truth.. Nice Shooting..

Comment

• just_john
                              Chieftain
                              • Sep 2012

DNS - please keep in mind that if you ever feel like your position is being overrun by hogs and need re-inforcements, the cavalry is here waiting on your call for help. There are a bunch of us that are only a couple of hours east of you that would quickly come to your rescue.

Comment

Working...
                              X