• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earl Keese
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2017

Non-reciprocating side charge Upper choices

Since my 20" group buy barrel came in the only thing I'm lacking is an upper receiver. I've decided to try a side charger. It seems I have 3 choices, Gibbs, New Frontier, and JB Spartan. All three appear to be made by the same company. Is there any reason not to go with the Spartan and save a few bucks?
  • TheDroz66
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2013

Another option is a Matrix Aerospace non-reciprocating side charger. I have not had the chance to shoot it yet, so do not know about function, but it seems to be well made. All the reviews I have found have been positive. It is a little heavier than I would have liked - weighing in at a little over 14 oz, but I will cut weight in other areas. As far as I can tell, this is the same upper sold by a number of companies: chandlerhardwoods.com, rouschsports.com, midstatefirearms.com, xproducts.com, shop.masdefense.com. This upper has a forward assist and dust cover.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TheDroz66; 10-07-2017, 10:34 AM.

Comment

• Earl Keese
      Bloodstained
      • Apr 2017

Originally posted by TheDroz66 View Post
      Another option is a Matrix Aerospace non-reciprocating side charger. I have not had the chance to shoot it yet, so do not know about function, but it seems to be well made. All the reviews I have found have been positive. It is a little heavier than I would have liked - weighing in at a little over 14 oz, but I will cut weight in other areas. As far as I can tell, this is the same upper sold by a number of companies: chandlerhardwoods.com, rouschsports.com, midstatefirearms.com, xproducts.com, shop.masdefense.com. This upper has a forward assist and dust cover.
      Funny that you mention it, I ordered a Rousch this week. I'd seen the Matrix online, but never in stock. Wow, 14oz is heavier than I was hoping, almost double the weight of a STD upper. No wonder they don't post the weight. Oh well, that's what I get for taking a chance. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

• Earl Keese
        Bloodstained
        • Apr 2017

My upper came in today. Threw the rifle together for a fit check and I like it. There isn't enough clearance for a B.A.D lever, not a huge deal. I also need to do some minor trimming of the tabs on the ALG forend, but at least they can still be used. I also like the way that the charging handle stays enclosed, unlike the NFA version. Lastly, the upper fits nice and tight to my Aero lower.

Comment

• TheDroz66
          Bloodstained
          • Sep 2013

I loosely assembled mine also the other day and really liked it (other than the weight). I found an extended bolt release similar to the B.A.D. lever. I am missing the bolt release spring so have not assembled it fully, but it looks like it will work. It is the Phase 5 Tactical Extended Bolt Release V2-SC (EBRV2-SC) - SC is for Side-Charging. I am still trying to find an ambi safety to work with my trigger then I can take it out for a test run. Let me know how yours works! Are you going to lap the upper receiver? If so let me know how it goes taking the upper apart. I have the wheeler lapping tool and it will not fit without taking the side charger apart. It doesn't look that hard, just have not gotten to it yet.

IMG_4701.jpg

Comment

• Earl Keese
            Bloodstained
            • Apr 2017

I have the Wheeler lapping tool as well. Hope to get to it this weekend.

Comment

Working...
            X