• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • burnsy13
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2017

Just for research.. Rugged Surge?

I'm pretty set on the TBAC Ultra 5 .30 cal, but I try to look around before a purchase like this. For reference, I have a couple Surefire SOCOM556's, a SilencerCo Osprey 9, and a Rugged Obsidian 45.

Obviously the weight and length go to the Ultra 5, but I like the numbers the Rugged Surge 7.62 gives. And I'm super impressed with the Obsidian 45. It lives on my SBR CZ Scorpion, I go through tons of mags quickly on that one, it's probably my most enjoyable gun to shoot. So it gets hot, and it seems durable, so I'm pretty high on the Rugged brand.

Is it something I should look at, or just stick with the Thunder Beast?
  • explorecaves
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

I have the Surge and my dad has the razor. Both perform well but are heavy. For bench/fixed position hunting/plinking it is great. For mobility, I would probably only use it on my 12" build... I am looking into the TBAC Ultra 5 myself now that I have the beater cans I can abuse if I want...

Comment

• burnsy13
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2017

Okay, thank you.

Ordered an 18" barrel and I'm picking up an upper/lower for a 12.5" SBR project today. Eventually I want a suppressor for each, like I do for the rest of my rifles. Maybe I'll do the TBAC Ultra 5 first and see what happens at SHOT or in the near future. I just really am impressed with the quality of the Rugged Obsidian 45, I'll keep giving money to companies like that.

Comment

• explorecaves
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

I have the obsidian too. Rugged makes serious tanks that can take a beating... that is not a question. That coupled with their warranty makes them perfect for a beater can you can abuse without worry. I will not hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

Comment

• burnsy13
          Bloodstained
          • Sep 2017

Well, Rugged announced a 7.62 Micro modular can. Found what I'm going with. Full size is the same length as the Razor (~6.5"), short size is 5". I like the modularity option Rugged has.

Comment

• gmaxx
            Bloodstained
            • Feb 2017

Originally posted by burnsy13 View Post
            Well, Rugged announced a 7.62 Micro modular can. Found what I'm going with. Full size is the same length as the Razor (~6.5"), short size is 5". I like the modularity option Rugged has.
            I am considering getting the Rugged Micro or maybe the newer Radiant for an 11.5in Grendel. How has the Micro worked out for you?

Comment

• asorel
              Unwashed
              • Apr 2017

Originally posted by gmaxx View Post
              I am considering getting the Rugged Micro or maybe the newer Radiant for an 11.5in Grendel. How has the Micro worked out for you?
              I'd be interested in this as well. The short version of the Radiant is almost as light as the TBAC Ultra 5, but is full-auto rated, and has that modularity. Seems like the perfect suppressor for a 12" trunk gun.

Comment

• burnsy13
                Bloodstained
                • Sep 2017

I got my Form 4 back about a month ago for the Micro 30. I probably have 3 weeks for the Rugged Surge approval.

I've taken the Micro 30 outside 3 times with both my 12" Grendel SBR and my 18" Grendel. 12" has an adjustable gas block, 18" has a Bootleg adjustable BCG. Next to zero gas back at me, I'm really impressed with how smooth everything is. I was playing with different buffer weights on the 12" my third trip out, think I got it set as effectively as possible between that and the gas block adjustment. No gas back, smooooth cycling.

I never put the Micro in the small config during these trips.

On the 12", noticeable first round flash, but none after. 18" didn't really have one at all, but the Micro had been used for about 150 rounds at that point.

Genuinely more quiet than my 5.56 Surefire suppressors, Grendel just plain suppressed better. That's my opinion, but I'm sticking with it.

My brother has a Radiant on the way, we can go to the indoor range and shoot it. On his 10.3" 5.56 and the Radiant in short config, it's constantly flashing. And it was loud, but again, we were inside. I'm not sure how much use the short variants will be for either of us. I don't think he's used the Radiant on his Grendel SBR yet.
                Last edited by burnsy13; 10-16-2019, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• Gringoloco
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2017

I just got my Surge out of NFA jail about a month ago. So far have been able to take the 12 inch and 18 inch barreled guns out once each. With the Surge in the 7.5 inch short configuration I have managed to get a fair amount of blowback. I also took a Strike Industries latchless charging handle with the ISO latch along to see if that would help with the 12 inch gun since i also was doing some testing on my 300 blackout with a 10 inch barrel. The SI w/ISO latch seemed to help mitigate the blow back fairly well. Both grendels have adjustable gas blocks, the 300 BO has a bootleg adjustable bolt carrier. I do really like the Surge overall, would be interested to see the difference between blow back with the micro 30.

Comment

Working...
                  X