• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Viper
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2017

Hello from Italy

Hello everyone,
    my name is Marco, I am a 48 y.o. shooter, living close to Brescia, North Italy, 60km east of Milano city. I am a regular shooter since 2001. For the first 5/6 years, I have been shooting mostly handguns, both semiauto and revolvers, 9mm, 38/357, .45ACP. Over time I have been shifting to rifles, mostly former service rifles like Carl Gustafs M96, Enfield, Mosin M39, and of course the Garand. Over last 2 years I have been shooting in competitions for former service rifle in the semiauto category with the Garand (last year I've hit 5th place in the national championship). I do love shotguns too, so I have a couple of Remmy 870 and a Benelli M4.
    I do have an AR15 assembled with a 16" barrel in 223R. I am now going to purchase a custom build upper with a 20"barrel in 6,5 Grendel, I do not have enough knowledge to make a selection, to that's why I am here! I am sure I will find tons of usefuls informations.
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

Heeeey welcome Marco!!!

Get ready, because once you get your first Grendel more will follow! It's quite the addiction, and the performance of this little cartridge will suck you in.

Any ideas yet as to what parts you are considering?

Comment

• just_john
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2012

Marco! Welcome to the greatest fan club in the world, from the Great Nation of Texas! We all love our Grendels! And you will too! We are all here to help, so feel free to throw out any questions and some one here has been there, done that or seen that - whatever it is.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Welcome to the Forum Viper (Marco)! This forum is a wealth of knowledge with people from all over the world.

Comment

• Viper
          Bloodstained
          • Oct 2017

Guys, thank you very much for the warm welcome! I have no idea yet of the setting I am going to have, just last week I have delivered my AR to the custom guns maker I trust, and I am waiting from him some proposals about barrels options and all it takes. By the way, I am working for a US company based in Minneapolis, been there last time in July. My honeymoon trip in 2015 was in US too, and more holiday trips in US are on the bucket list.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Determining the right 6.5 Grendel for you will be determined by your use and priorities. Seeing how you have been shooting service rifle I'd be inclined to get a 20" barrel 6.5 Grendel with a flat top upper receiver, fixed front sight tower (F marked sight tower) and free floated hand guard. Many service rifles use a float tube under a round A-2 round hand guard.

I would also get a 1:8 twist 6.5 Grendel barrel. They sell carry handles with National Match sights if you have to use iron sights. If you want the flexibility of irons and scope the flat top upper is the way to go.

This link to RRA has the configuration I'm referring to.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 10-04-2017, 07:12 PM.

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Welcome in Viper- I have 45% Italy blood flowing through me also. Next time you know when coming to Mpls.,,, let me know- Bft and I can meet up with you.

We could go to local range- you could try some of the cool bullets I have tweaked, and have found.

This is great--- Grrr is truly global now.

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Welcome in Viper- I have 45% Italy blood flowing through me also. Next time you know when coming to Mpls.,,, let me know- Bft and I can meet up with you.

We could go to local range- you could try some of the cool bullets I have tweaked, and have found.

This is great--- Grrr is global now.

Comment

• Viper
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                  Determining the right 6.5 Grendel for you will be determined by your use and priorities. Seeing how you have been shooting service rifle I'd be inclined to get a 20" barrel 6.5 Grendel with a flat top upper receiver, fixed front sight tower (F marked sight tower) and free floated hand guard. Many service rifles use a float tube under a round A-2 round hand guard.

I would also get a 1:8 twist 6.5 Grendel barrel. They sell carry handles with National Match sights if you have to use iron sights. If you want the flexibility of irons and scope the flat top upper is the way to go.

This link to RRA has the configuration I'm referring to.

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index....TOKEN=11040731
                  Thank you VASCAR2, I am inclined to not use iron sights at all on this assembly, probably I will go for a Weawer mount. Another good reason for the Weaver is that, in the meantime, I am negotiating to buy a M1A Supermatch, the package is including a WEISS Diavari scope with rings, and a quick release weaver mount, therefore at leat in the beginning, I could avoid the purchase of a dedicated scope for the Grendel

Comment

• Viper
                    Bloodstained
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post

This is great--- Grrr is global now.
                    Thank you very much, that would be great! I am not coming until nexy summer probably, but I'll keep that in mind !
                    Last edited by Viper; 10-09-2017, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X