• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A1Vixen
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2017

Best results with bullets from 123-130g

I'm searching for bullets for my new Sako Demi Custom project.
    I calculated to get the best results with a 26" 1:9 twist with the twist rate calculator on Berger Bullets homepage and drop and drift results from Quickload and Quick Target.

The bullets seems to match perfect are :
    - Lapua Scenar 123g
    - Berger AR Hybrig 130g
    - Nosler Custom Competition 123g
    - SMK 123g (still good but faster drop and more wind drift than the other 3 bullets)

Now there is a huge price difference between the Lapua/Nosler and the Berger.
    The SMK are somewhere in the middle between Lapua and Berger. (Here in Europe!)

Who tested these bullets out of a bolt action rifle?
    What were your groups at 100-200 Yards and at longer distances?

My objective with the Grendel is to get a good rifle with cheaper ammunition than I have with my Creedmoor.
    That meens if the Berger AR aren't lot better than the other 3 bullets I don't even need to try this one!

So please write something about your experiences with these bullets.
  • kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

the only ones I have shot on your list are the Bergers. The rifle is a cz 537 with a Obermeyer barrel finished at 22 inches with teh action glass and pillar bedded to the factory stock SAAMI chamber but head spaced for use with the CZ bolt scoped as it is now total weight of the rifle is 7.2 lbs

Best groups at 100 right in the 1/4 inch range for 3 shots. average more like 1/2. I do not shoot much at 200. At 325 yards best group has been 1 inch but average less than 2 inches. I honestly believe i am the weakest link in the accuracy chain. Couple 10 shot groups at 100 yards I have shot were a little over an inch counting the ones I knew was me that opened them up. That was with new lapua brass forming them to my chamber.

Before the Bergers were in stores I got 500 of them for a good price from a custom ammo manufacture friend to try out at a very good price. The Nosler Long Range Accubonds are shooting about the same with the came load. Lapua Brass, Winchester SRP and 30.6gr CFE223 at a COL of 2.27
    Last edited by kmon; 10-05-2017, 11:45 AM.

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

My father has used the Lapua Scenar and 123 SMK out of his 20" HB Howa with great success. Both shot very well.

With a 26" barrel you will probably be able to utilize the 130 AR Hybrid very well. I would also look at the Hornady 130 ELD-M. It has a great b.c and the eld/amax line have always shown impressive terminal ballistics.

Comment

• A1Vixen
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2017

You don't get the A-Max after they replaced them with the ELD-M.
        I will try them once, but they are really almost expensive here in europe as the Bergers.
        Calculating drop and wind drift, they have more potential in short barrels.
        I believe in a longer barrel there are cheaper bullets who will do better job.

For me the A-Max were expensive but good. Now the ELD are lot more expensive, for me personally too much for a mass production product! (prices in the EU / the eld-m 123g cost 47% more than the Lapua Scenar 123g!)(The B.C. of the Scenar 123g is higher than the ELD 123g.)
        Last edited by A1Vixen; 10-06-2017, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• A1Vixen
          Bloodstained
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by kmon View Post
          the only ones I have shot on your list are the Bergers. The rifle is a cz 537 with a Obermeyer barrel finished at 22 inches with teh action glass and pillar bedded to the factory stock SAAMI chamber but head spaced for use with the CZ bolt scoped as it is now total weight of the rifle is 7.2 lbs

Best groups at 100 right in the 1/4 inch range for 3 shots. average more like 1/2. I do not shoot much at 200. At 325 yards best group has been 1 inch but average less than 2 inches. I honestly believe i am the weakest link in the accuracy chain. Couple 10 shot groups at 100 yards I have shot were a little over an inch counting the ones I knew was me that opened them up. That was with new lapua brass forming them to my chamber.

Before the Bergers were in stores I got 500 of them for a good price from a custom ammo manufacture friend to try out at a very good price. The Nosler Long Range Accubonds are shooting about the same with the came load. Lapua Brass, Winchester SRP and 30.6gr CFE223 at a COL of 2.27
          Sounds really good, thx for sharing your results. I will also try to get CFE223 which is not always easy to find here in the EU.
          I must calculate with Nosler Long Range, but I think the B.C. and weight is maybe limit or too heavy for the 1:9 twist. For LR shooting it is maybe a little bit under stabilized.
          Last edited by A1Vixen; 10-06-2017, 08:24 AM.

Comment

• kmon
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2015

It could be, i am running 8.4 twist barrel. Haven't taken that bullet past 500 but in my rfle it works that far.

A couple other powders I want to try but haven't gotten around to are Leverevolution and 2000MR. the 2000MR would probably be a good powder for you with the extra 4 inches of barrel but not sure about that.

Comment

• A1Vixen
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2017

My barrel is ordered in the US, so I will get the rifle probably in less than 2 month with a little chance.
              Until there I have a lot of time to prepare the brasses (neck turning) and organize everything needed.

I ordered some VV N530. The CFE223 will be the next I will order.
              And I got the Ramshot Tac immediately, that's maybe because Belgium is near!?
              I don't have the Leverrevolution in Quickload and not yet calculated with the 2000 MR. (EDIT: 2000 MR also not present in QL)

To start I will not organize more than 3 powders, with 3 or 4 different bullets this will be too much testing ;-)
              (Those 3 powders had fast V0 in Quickload while testing with different bullets)
              If the TAC would provide good results, this would be my favourite. (almost 50% cheaper than the CFE223)
              Last edited by A1Vixen; 10-05-2017, 06:09 PM.

Comment

• lrgrendel
                Warrior
                • Jul 2013

Here is some information you might be interested in.
                Tested the 123gr SMK few days ago.

The other photo was recently, playing with neck tension and 130gr Berger Hybrid.

HOWA 20” barrel 1/8 twist.

AS EVER LOAD AT YOUR OWN RISK, START LOW.....
                Last edited by lrgrendel; 10-07-2017, 06:28 AM.

Comment

• A1Vixen
                  Bloodstained
                  • Sep 2017

Wow the second 100 yards load is really impressive!
                  20171009_101822.jpg
                  Pic from a competition I shot yesterday with my 6.5 Creedmoor @ 100m.
                  First shots on the test area were a little bit away, last shoting was at 1057m a few corrections and 5x10 with 3 "mouches".
                  Hope will get my Grendel at the same level

Comment

• Lone Hunter
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by lrgrendel View Post
                    Here is some information you might be interested in.
                    Tested the 123gr SMK few days ago.

The other photo was recently, playing with neck tension and 130gr Berger Hybrid.

HOWA 20” barrel 1/8 twist.

AS EVER LOAD AT YOUR OWN RISK, START LOW.....[ATTACH=CONFIG]9875[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9874[/ATTACH]
                    IRG, Have you shot any animals with the SMK's? I like those groups. I've got to get my brass prepped and some loads before deer season gets here. Would like to hunt with the Howa Mini but if not the AR will do.

Comment

• lrgrendel
                      Warrior
                      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Lone Hunter View Post
                      IRG, Have you shot any animals with the SMK's? I like those groups. I've got to get my brass prepped and some loads before deer season gets here. Would like to hunt with the Howa Mini but if not the AR will do.
                      No I have not. Wish I had. Decent accessible hunting is kind of limited here where I live in Central Florida.
                      Maybe some one else will chime in but I am not sure they would expand much.

Yes at 200 yds they are showing good results... I am out of stock of them so my testing has stopped for now!

Comment

Working...
                      X