• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bowhntr6pt
    Warrior
    • Feb 2017

Faxon 20" Build Progress

Got most of the parts in, scope should be here today, Leupold 6.5-20x50 Vx-III. Upper and Seekins GB were picked up here on this site used, Aero lower, Velocity 3-lb. trigger, SLR rail, RRA OD stock off AR15.com EE, YHM FS mount for my LT can, Specter sling. Went together smooth... used .005" shim stock for a press fit of the barrel into the upper.

As normal, I scrubbed the barrel before the first round was fired. Seemed a little more dirty than other new barrels I've had. Almost appears to have a reddish-orange tint, like signs of rust, I sure hope not. Patches felt smooth for the most part.

Used Hornady 123gr SST to check function... first round locked the bolt up tight. About 10 significant mortar attempts finally broke it lose. Brass seems to have a lot of scoring from machining... see below.

Fired a second round and the action did not cycle BUT the round came out effortlessly this time. A quick adjustment on the GB and the third round ejected perfectly at 3:00 and bolt locked back. Loaded two rounds and function was 100% with bolt lock back, all at 3:00 ejection at about 4 feet.

So far, so good...

• Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

Wow really nice looking rifle!!! Have you had a chance to accuracy test it yet?

Seems like you saved a ton of cash using the EE and other forum classifieds, very smart!

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
      Warrior
      • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
      Wow really nice looking rifle!!! Have you had a chance to accuracy test it yet?

Seems like you saved a ton of cash using the EE and other forum classifieds, very smart!
      No accuracy testing yet, scope and mount should be in today. Then I will see what it will do and get some chrony numbers for firing solutions at distance.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
          Warrior
          • Feb 2017

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
          Scratches on brass come from new mags and can occur when the cartridge feeds into the barrel extension and feed ramps. With use these scratches should diminish.

Nice looking rifle, I’ve got a couple Specter slings which are very good quality slings. Good to see the 20” group buy Faxon barrels getting built. I hope you give us your range results once you get your scope.
          Negative... the circular impressions are from the chamber and machining and they are distinct... Ray Charles can see them. I'm not referring to the length wise scratches, which are most likely from the mag's feed lips and are mostly minimal.

You can tell a lot from a fired piece of brass concerning machining and smoothness of a chamber.

Comment

• Lastrites
            Warrior
            • Apr 2017

Certainly you got a good look at the chamber prior to installation, notice anything?

Comment

• bj139
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2017

I had a BCA barrel that left circular ridges on the brass. I posted it here in a thread "My Striped Grendel".

BCA replaced the barrel. The striped one I sent back shot a 0.902MOA group. The new one is too early to tell but so far shoots groups like a shotgun. Shoot.

The black meloniting inside and out on my 20" group buy barrel made it difficult to see the inside of the chamber. Mine looked smooth from what I could see.

The thought just occurred to me. How thick is the meloniting? It will reduce the chamber size.

Comment

• Lastrites
                Warrior
                • Apr 2017

Meloniting will not reduce chamber size as it is a treatment not a coating like chrome lining. But it can make it rather difficult to smooth out as it hardens the exterior finish.

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
                  Certainly you got a good look at the chamber prior to installation, notice anything?
                  No, nothing noticed. The marks are typical of a budget barrel... keeping in mind is was a $200 barrel... not an expensive custom job.

Comment

• Lastrites
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2017

Sorry for your troubles, but I would be contacting Faxon, they do have good customer service and it seems you should at the very least make contact. And while it was a cost efficient barrel I wouldn't call it a budget barrel like others selling in the $100+range, the cost savings was in part due to a group buy of 50 barrels.

Bwtn the stainless QPQ barrel showing signs of rust and now the chamber having an issue beg's for a conversation with them.

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
                      Sorry for your troubles, but I would be contacting Faxon, they do have good customer service and it seems you should at the very least make contact. And while it was a cost efficient barrel I wouldn't call it a budget barrel like others selling in the $100+range, the cost savings was in part due to a group buy of 50 barrels.

Bwtn the stainless QPQ barrel showing signs of rust and now the chamber having an issue beg's for a conversation with them.
                      I'd like to see what the performance is before asking for a replacement. My journey with this barrel has been documented here and on Faxon's Industry Forum on another site so I'm relatively sure someone from Faxon has seen my posts.

I got a really good fit with the barrel and upper and really would love to not have to remove it. I used shim stock and I was able to press the barrel into place (no pounding or hammering mind you). So at this point, removing the barrel is a last resort if performance is not acceptable.

I expect this barrel to shoot like other $200+ barrels, at MOA. If BA can manufacture and sell a $200 barrel, which I have five, and get an MOA guarantee, I'm sure Faxon can no?

With Nathan being gone, who was involved in this group buy, anyone know who is representing Faxon now?

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2017

BFT just posted in another these barrels have no accuracy guarantee...

I'll wait it out and see what the performance is, no need to worry about it until then. I'm sure if it shoots like a SG Faxon will work with me.

Comment

• bj139
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2017

If it shoots well I would keep it ridges and all. Those are minor compared to my first BCA barrel.

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                            If it shoots well I would keep it ridges and all. Those are minor compared to my first BCA barrel.
                            Agree 100%. I took your advice Lastrites and put an e-mail in to Faxon just to give an early heads up... just in case.

Comment

• Kilco
                              Chieftain
                              • Jan 2016

There is also the process if polishing I side the chamber.. no clue if this is possible with the barrel Installed but if so it might help.

Comment

Working...
                              X