X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lastrites
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

Kilco with the QPQ nitride finish I wouldn't expect much out of polishing it as the treatment really does harden the surface, if it was SS that would be an entirely different matter. While it is much easier to do with an uninstalled barrel, it can be done once built up.

BH6, I had noticed on Arf in the industry section and the farewell thread to Nathan that he called out three other faxon employees if problems arise, Patrick Murphy, Curt Staubach, and Mark Eysoldt. I wish you luck and with trepidation I await one of the barrels that I bought from a fellow member who essentially relabeled the package and forwarded to me.

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
      Warrior
      • Feb 2017

I cleaned the barrel tonight, although I only fired five rounds, and two things I noticed. 1- cleaned up rather quick with a couple patches going from completely black/dirty to almost instantly clean... I think four or five patches with Butch's Bore shine. 2- the bore looks like glass, really smooth and mirror like... I really like that.

Test fit my suppressor, looks GTG and everything appears concentric, another big plus.

Comment

• cb4017
        Warrior
        • Dec 2016

I had a couple of Faxon .308 barrels that had the same type residue. What you saw on the patches was probably remains of the Nitriding process. On another forum Nathan explained one of the ways they controlled cost was to not put a lot of effort into cleaning the bore after Nitriding. The bore and chamber on my barrels was pretty rough. I had to scrub the hell out of those barrels before I shot them.
        Last edited by cb4017; 10-06-2017, 01:42 AM.
        Cliff
        USN Ret., FPD Ret.

Nobody is coming. It's up to you.

Comment

• Bamboofisherman
          Unwashed
          • Aug 2017

Hey Bowhntr6pt, what handguard is that? And what length? I'm trying to measure out a build and can't figure out if I want to go with the MI lightweight rail G2 (12.625"), Martix Arms rail (13.5"), or something else. I don't know how the 12.625 inch rail would look with the gas block sticking out, but I like the fact that there isn't a full length picatinny rail on top which, unfortunately, the matrix has. Not sure that's worth double the cost though.

Same question as on the other thread.

Comment

• Lastrites
            Warrior
            • Apr 2017

Got my 20" in and yes it needed a good cleaning with similar brown patches as bh6, lug area really had some nice dark brown slurry but came out slick and smooth. Dropped a Wolf round in the chamber prior to assembly and it drops right out of the chamber and eld-m required just a light bump to free fall. Less than quality picture to follow,

eta: not enough coffee this morning.
            Last edited by Lastrites; 10-12-2017, 12:33 PM.

Comment

• Kilco
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2016

Damn Lastrites you build some really sexy rifles to say the least!! Looking forward to a range report..

Still excited for someone to do some loading for these 5R-EE barrels... secret untapped potential I believe.

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
                Warrior
                • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Bamboofisherman View Post
                Hey Bowhntr6pt, what handguard is that? And what length? I'm trying to measure out a build and can't figure out if I want to go with the MI lightweight rail G2 (12.625"), Martix Arms rail (13.5"), or something else. I don't know how the 12.625 inch rail would look with the gas block sticking out, but I like the fact that there isn't a full length picatinny rail on top which, unfortunately, the matrix has. Not sure that's worth double the cost though.

Same question as on the other thread.
                SLR SOLO 12.5" Mid Series Handguard- Keymod I like my BG's in the open.

SOLO12.5KM-MID

Comment

• bj139
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Bowhntr6pt View Post
                  SLR SOLO 12.5" Mid Series Handguard- Keymod I like my BG's in the open.

SOLO12.5KM-MID
                  Do you like your GBs in the open so they can be removed without removing the HG?

That's what I was thinking since I could use it for deer hunting in PA by removing the GB.

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                    Do you like your GBs in the open so they can be removed without removing the HG?

That's what I was thinking since I could use it for deer hunting in PA by removing the GB.
                    Getting to it for inspection, removal, adjustment, etc. and I like the look... also, it will allow for a change to a flip-up sighted GB if desired.

Comment

• bj139
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2017

Here is mine.
                      IMG_20171012_154908 (Medium).jpg
                      Ambi-charging upper, carbon fiber handguard, group buy Grendel bolt, Group buy Faxon 20" barrel.

I can remove the GB and GT without removing the HG.

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                        Here is mine.
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]9928[/ATTACH]
                        Ambi-charging upper, carbon fiber handguard, group buy Grendel bolt, Group buy Faxon 20" barrel.

I can remove the GB and GT without removing the HG.
                        Now that's a short HG...lol... nice build.

I see that's a TASCO scope you have there... correct? I have a couple and for the money, they have served me well for over 15 years.

Comment

• bj139
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Bowhntr6pt View Post
                          Now that's a short HG...lol... nice build.

I see that's a TASCO scope you have there... correct? I have a couple and for the money, they have served me well for over 15 years.
                          I know the HG is short.

I hadn't planned it that way but they were out of stock with the one I ordered and I figured this would work fine.

That is a TASCO scope which I recently bought used.

I checked the reviews on it before buying it and they seemed good.

I was surprised at how good the tracking was when I shot with it.

Comment

• Lastrites
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2017

Bh6 hope don't mind if jumped into your thread, decided to change up the faxon just a touch. Will be running it tomorrow as work has me in the weeds.

Had everything in the parts box re-purposed for this build except the barrel, thank you Bruw!
                            Last edited by Lastrites; 10-14-2017, 08:16 PM.

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
                              Warrior
                              • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
                              Bh6 hope don't mind if jumped into your thread, decided to change up the faxon just a touch. Will be running it tomorrow as work has me in the weeds.

Had everything in the parts box re-purposed for this build except the barrel, thank you Bruw!
                              NOT AT ALL!! Nice build.

Comment

• Lastrites
                                Warrior
                                • Apr 2017

Took it out for a run this morning, started off with a short box of factory Hornady Amax as I wanted to check for operation and foul the barrel some as I had cleaned the dickens out of this barrel prior to install. Then went to the Black eld-m as I have plenty of it on hand, no malfunctions with either loads and the eld-m was hovering a smidgen more than 1" or so when I was doing my part with the ALG ACT trigger with JP yellow springs and a fairly decent rest. I will likely swap triggers with a JP I have in a LMT for the next run to see if I can do a little better and stop at one cup of coffee instead of the 20+oz's I drank this morning.

Gun pitched the brass a good 4' away in a nice easy to pick up pile. The note of interest is my brass looks a lot like Bh6's which honestly didn't thrill me. All in all it was a nice morning out to run some ammo through this new build with zero malfunctions and getting it zeroed but the brass casings cast a little bit of concern.
                                Last edited by Lastrites; 10-16-2017, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X