• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ty_hooper12
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

What kind of scope mount do I need?

I recently finished my 18" grendel build, it's primary use will be hunting here in Texas, deer, hogs and maybe some varmints. Those shots will be 100-200 yards for the most part, occasionally out to 300. However, I'd also like to use this rifle to start some longer range shooting and learning to dial for bullet drop and wind drift. I'm most likely going to have a Vortex Diamonback Tactical 4-12x with the VMR-1 MOA reticle. My question is, will is a 0 MOA mount work to stretch this puppies' legs out between 500-800 yards? Or is a 20 MOA mount necessary?
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

Alot of it depends on your elevation..

At 660 asl, with my 16" Grendel pushing the 123 eld-m 2460 fps using a standard aero precision lightweight mount (NO cant) with a scope using 70 min internal elevation adjustment (same as the vortex Diamondback tactical you are looking at) I can dial to exactly 790 yards. I had to use a slight holdover for my 810 target.

Depending on your set up, elevation, and ammo, you can be sure to get to 6-700 with no can't.

Using a 20 moa base will deff let you stretch to 800 yards+.

Comment

• ty_hooper12
      Warrior
      • Oct 2017

Thank for the input! I'll be using 123 eld-m for any target stuff, 123 SST for hunting. I'm at around 3300' ask where I'll do most of my shooting. Any suggestions for a mount?

Comment

• Kilco
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2016

Hmmm Well it depends on the primary purpose of the rifle..

First off, do you need/want a QD system?

Are you going to be carrying this rifle often? Is weight a concern or a factor?

Most importantly, what's your budget look like for a mount?

Comment

• ty_hooper12
          Warrior
          • Oct 2017

It's primarily a hunting rifle, I don't need QD, I'm not planning on switching optics with this one. Weight isn't a big factor, I'll carry it some but I'll also be in a blind so it's not a big deal. Budget is between $70-$100

Comment

• hdrolling
            Bloodstained
            • Aug 2017

Since you don't already have the mount I would suggest getting the 20 MOA, if you had a mount and wondering if you needed to upgrade I would say just stick with what you have.

I'm not sure what you would find for $100 or less? For about $20 more you could get a Warne mount.

Most of the higher end name brand mounts will run you in the $180-$300 range (ADM,Night Force,Geissele,Larue)

I use an ADM with the 20 MOA, but i wanted QD and with the ADM if I change from a 30mm scope to something bigger I can just buy new interchangeable rings and not have to buy the entire mount again.
            Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Comment

• ty_hooper12
              Warrior
              • Oct 2017

That's a good point, I appreciate the input. Ill just have to save up a few extra bucks!

Comment

• Arkhangel5
                Warrior
                • Apr 2016

TH,
                I will advocate for a no cant mount, if only because on a Grendel it is a case of overkill, especially with your parameters.

I also have a 18in Gren, that is used in NRA competitions out to 600yds. Because of the course of fire, I keep a 300yd zero on my rifle. With the trajectory of my rounds, this allows me to dial to 600yds all within 1 revolution of my elevation turret. My scope has 15MOA per revolution, 300-->500(8moa)-->600(5moa), 13moa total from 300 to 600yds, all within 1 revolution. This is a 12x scope btw, dictated by type of competition.

That said, I know my comedowns for 100 and 200yds, and also 50yds, for when I take this rifle hunting.

I use a Burris pepr mount on mine, just because it was available locally. My rifle weighs in at around ~10lbs with a loaded 5 round mag. Food for thought.

SY
                Last edited by Arkhangel5; 10-06-2017, 04:57 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

• Six5x39
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2017

my main focus is on proper cheek rest with eye relief . my type shooting is >500yards , most scope adjustment should be fine .. cant or no cant .. for me , anything above 1.3" rail to center of the ring height , I have to till my head up tad higher to get proper eye relief . I like having tight cheek rest . night force unimount 1.125 and badger 1.3 unimount works perfect for me .

Comment

• Sputnik
                    Warrior
                    • May 2013

Eye relief is key. I have Burris PEPR mounts for 3 of my AR's. I absolutely love them. Amazon has 30mm zero MOA for ~66 bucks. No 20 MOA unless you get the 34 mm PEPR. They do have QD or no QD.

Comment

• ty_hooper12
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2017

Thank y'all for the input, definitely a lot of things to think about, I'll have to take all of it into consideration before I buy anything

Comment

• 2_speed
                        Bloodstained
                        • Nov 2011

You might like to check <warnescopemounts.com>, too. They have high rings for rail mounting if you don't need 20 MOA cant and also a light weight one piece extended setup with cant. I've had good results with the rail setup. They don't sell direct but you can find them in several places.
                        Tom

Comment

• Sputnik
                          Warrior
                          • May 2013

Sometimes high rings are not high enough ( especially for larger diameter scopes like 44mm or 50mm), so there are extra high. I don't have any experience with extra high, but feel they may not be solid enough to take a beating. I believe PEPR mounts lift the scope a bit higher than most high scope rings, (about 1 5/8 inches high from rail to center), and I feel much more sturdy.
                          Last edited by Sputnik; 10-07-2017, 12:13 AM. Reason: Punctuation

Comment

• hdrolling
                            Bloodstained
                            • Aug 2017

Here is a pic of a burris PEPR on my grendel before I finished the build, this doesn't have the KAC BUIS.
                            And under that is the finished build with the 20 MOA ADM mount, they didn't look much different in height to me?

IMG_8965 by hd_rolling, on Flickr
                            IMG_9044 by hd_rolling, on Flickr
                            Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Comment

• Klem
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

Ty,

Yes, you can get away with a 0-MOA mount.

The Vortex scope you are interested in has a 70MOA elevation travel. With a 0-MOA mount, half the travel will be below the barrel axis and half above. So, you will have 35MOA of available elevation. Your 18" barrel might be able to send a Hornady 123SST at 2450fps downrange. According to JBM Ballistics you will need 30MOA of elevation to get to 800M. That leaves you 5 MOA spare, so yes, it is doable.

That said, if the 0 and 20-MOA mounts are the same price and there's no other reason for you of sticking with a 0-MOA mount you may as well go for the 20-MOA mount. If ever you want to shoot beyond 800 you will need the extra elevation of a 20-MOA cant.

Comment

Working...
                              X