• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bowhntr6pt
    Warrior
    • Feb 2017

Help me understand this...

Got this reply from Faxon... I read it as my Faxon group buy barrel is made by Faxon... But it's not a Faxon barrel.

Does this mean Faxon sourced already made 6.5G barrels and finished them and sold them as Faxon barrels?

To buy a Faxon barrel through a Faxon Barrel Group Buy only to be told it's really not a Faxon barrel... not sure I like this.

We do not offer an accuracy guarantee on our barrels because of the numerous other factors that go into shooting accurately. The other issue is that Faxon does not offer a guarantee because that barrel is not a Faxon 6.5 Grendel barrel, it is an OEM customer's barrel that happens to be made by us. I know it sounds like splitting hairs, but all of the 6.5 group buy were made to our customer's specific specs, so anything outside of a manufacturing defect falls on the OEM customer.
  • bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

Unusual response but maybe legally necessary.

Comment

• mdram
      Warrior
      • Sep 2016

it was made for 65grendel.com, therefore its a 65grendel.com barrel that happens to be made by faxon
      just some targets for printing
      https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• rabiddawg
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2013

It is my understanding that Bluntforcetrama had the barrels made to HIS specs, therefore it's not a Faxon design.
        Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• explorecaves
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
          It is my understanding that Bluntforcetrama had the barrels made to HIS specs, therefore it's not a Faxon design.
          This.

Comment

• Six5x39
            Warrior
            • Sep 2017

Can someone post group buy link ? I like to see what is the difference between group buy barrel spec vs Faxon spec

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
              Chieftain
              • May 2012

basically they guarantee them to be to the group buy spec they didn't test the inherent accuracy of the design spec
              Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
                Warrior
                • Feb 2017

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
                That I can wrap my head around...thanks.

Comment

• kmon
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Six5x39 View Post
                  Can someone post group buy link ? I like to see what is the difference between group buy barrel spec vs Faxon spec
                  Go to the list of Forums and toward the bottom is one for Groupbuy central. Click on that and open the first post in any of the Faxon Group buy threads and BFT put the barrel specs in the first post opening the thread.

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

I just re-read the spec sheet and the 1st post of the 18" GB. I didn't understand it to be an OEM barrel but a Faxon barrel... "manufactured by Faxon..." and the specs I took to be Faxon spec, although to be fair there is no reference to Faxon on the spec sheet per se.

That being said I am still in for the barrel I ordered... anyway several barrels I've seen and/or bought do not have an accuracy spec, they are what they are. This one should be good quality I'm sure.

But I did think at the time I placed my order that it is/was a Faxon barrel, period. Group buy to get a discount maybe, but Faxon nonetheless.
                    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Drillboss
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2015

I should sit back and let John reply to this, but I won't.

The specs on the recent Faxon group buy barrels state the rifling is 5REE. Below is a copy of John's post explaining 5REE. In a nutshell, the bore diameter of these barrels is 0.258" rather than the SAAMI spec of 0.256". However, this dimension is still within SAAMI spec since there is a +0.002 tolerance on diameters. My understanding is that the chamber reamer for the group buys is also specified to have some dimensions greater than SAAMI minimum, but still within SAAMI tolerances.

At any rate, since John specified some dimensions for the group buy barrels, Faxon appears to just be saying, "this may not be the way we would have done it", even though it's still within SAAMI specs.

Correct me if I'm wrong BFT.

==========================

Hey, guys, finally getting around to laying out the "surprise" I mentioned earlier. Been dreaming of doing this and finally made it happen. These barrels will feature a new reduced-size rifling profile that is long overdue in the hide-bound shooting industry.

Consider that each rifling land in a .223 barrel is 0.0025 tall, and each rifling land in a .243 barrel is 0.003 tall. After that, industry standards specify 0.0035 lands for .250, .270, and .280 barrels. Both .308 and the mighty .338 share lands 0.004 tall.

Now, what do you suppose the industry specifies for .264 barrels? Obviously, since it falls between the .250 and .270 it shares their 0.0035 land-height, right? Surely, this amazingly efficient caliber wouldn't share the same 0.004 lands with the monstrous .338, would it? Oh, yes, it would! The firearms industry traditionally specifies lands 0.004 high for .264 barrels. This makes zero sense. Are 6.5mm bullets driven any harder than .25-06 bullets? Do 6.5mm bullets need rifling more aggressive than .270 Winchester bullets? No, my friends, no. This is madness.

Consider the mild-mannered 6.5 Grendel cartridge. Yes, a thing of ballistic beauty, of martial magnificence. If the 6.5 Grendel, launching bullets at moderate velocities at pressures of 50,000 psi, supposedly "needs" lands as aggressive as the .338 at 62,000 psi, then how is it the 5.56 with 0.0025 lands and the .243 Winchester with 0.003 lands — both blasting bullets at high velocities and pressures around 58,000 psi — manage to thrive?

Verily, Gentlemen, Esteemed Warriors, and Vile Unwashed of The Horde, these Faxon group buy barrels will pioneer 5R-EE (Easy Engraving) rifling with lands 0.003 tall.

Easy Engraving, with its reduced lands, minimizes the bullet jacket deformation of more aggressive lands, leading to more-pristine bullets making their way downrange. This is a good thing. Rifling is a necessary evil — technically, a bore obstruction. Ideally, our barrels would be smoothbores, launching slippery bullets in brand-new condition.

Additionally, Easy Engraving opens up new opportunities to the handloader, who can take advantage of the reduced friction required to engrave bullets into the rifling, experimenting with the powder burn-rate/pressure dynamic in the quest for more velocity within safe pressures. This could get interesting!

Easy Engraving is now here. Finally. Exclusively for The Horde. Let the 6.5mm world sit up and take notice.

Comment

• Six5x39
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2017

theres few members posted their accuracy out of group buy barrel and it looked real good . I thought about picking up 16incher . but they didn't stock it at the time

Comment

• Kilco
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2016

Holy crap, I should read more carefully, wasn't completely aware of this 5REE rifling.. I want one!!! Anyone have a extra 20" kicking around?! When will the 18"s be ready?
                          Last edited by Kilco; 10-07-2017, 02:05 AM.

Comment

• Drillboss
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
                            Holy crap, I should read more carefully, wasn't completely aware of this 5REE rifling.. I want one!!! Anyone have a extra 20" kicking around?! When will the 18's be ready?
                            LOL!

I just did that to add to my post count.

Comment

• bj139
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2017

Was this from the 16" barrel group buy? I don't remember reading this in the 20" buy. I didn't read the 16" thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X