• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drillboss
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
    Was this from the 16" barrel group buy? I don't remember reading this in the 20" buy. I didn't read the 16" thread.
    The original Faxon 16" group buy was conventional 5R rifling, with what I believe to be the relaxed tolerances on other chamber dimensions (still within SAAMI specs). The post I copied was #199 in the first 12" group buy. I believe every Faxon group buy since then (12", 20", 18", and 16") has stated 5R-EE in the specs stated in the opening post.
    Last edited by Drillboss; 10-07-2017, 03:38 AM.

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Six5x39 View Post
      theres few members posted their accuracy out of group buy barrel and it looked real good . I thought about picking up 16incher . but they didn't stock it at the time
      Originally posted by Drillboss View Post
      The original Faxon 16" group buy was conventional 5R rifling, with what I believe to be the relaxed tolerances on other chamber dimensions (still within SAAMI specs). The post I copied was #199 in the first 12" group buy. I believe every Faxon group buy since then (12", 20", 18", and 16") has stated 5R-EE in the specs stated in the opening post.
      Why the hell haven't we seen some extensive reports and loads on these 5REE barrels?! I'm so intrigued it's not even funny.

I HAVE to get a 18" or 20" Faxon group buy now to test the crap out of it!

Comment

• Drillboss
        Warrior
        • Jan 2015

Come on Kilco!! It's all right there in front of you on the inter-web!!

Seriously though, finding information on most web sites is like looking through a pile of encyclopedias with the covers torn off.

Anyone remember what encyclopedias are?

Comment

• Troutguide
          Warrior
          • Jan 2017

My 12" shot real purdy the first time out. Need to get out again to confirm and settle in shooting an AR. My first one you know and it's franken to the hilt. I chopped stuff up befor I ever shot it. Hehe.

Oh and what faxon is saying is we bought a custom barrel not one of there plain Jain barrels of the rack. No garontee but damn good.
          Last edited by Troutguide; 10-07-2017, 05:36 AM.
          "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

And then I reckon the nitriding with its higher hardness, should reduce any wear/erosion of these 0.003 (hills) vice the 0.004 (mountains) (with their standard steel and hardness finishes)...
            The original spec 0.004 lands may have been such in order to allow for a certain amount of wearout as shot count progresses. just a theory.
            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• JASmith
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2014

I am sure that I am not alone in expectantly waiting for test results!

Most of us don't think much about rifling land and groove details when developing a new cartridge. Drillboss' discussion suggests that might need to be re-thought.

On the other hand, the Grendel routinely turns in impressive accuracy with the standard rifling.

One could speculate withiut specifically reaearching that, like so many other features in cartridges, the rifling spec was a carry over from cartridges like the .264 Magnum, the 6.5x55, etc.
              shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
              -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
                Warrior
                • Feb 2017

Headed to the PO to pick up a scope. If the weather holds... I'll get some shooting in late today and post results.

Comment

• explorecaves
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
                  Why the hell haven't we seen some extensive reports and loads on these 5REE barrels?! I'm so intrigued it's not even funny.

I HAVE to get a 18" or 20" Faxon group buy now to test the crap out of it!
                  Here is the results of my 12" build....

Untitled by Mike, on Flickr

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2017

Can you duplicate?

Comment

• explorecaves
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Bowhntr6pt View Post
                      Can you duplicate?
                      Haven't been back to the range, but rapid fire 10 shot group was still within the medium red diamond.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Bowhntr6pt View Post
                        Can you duplicate?
                        Why are you doubting him?

Mine shot under an inch at 100 with PF loaded 120 Nosler bt. Rapid fired off bags as fast as I could get back on the orange dot.
                        Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
                          Warrior
                          • Feb 2017

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
                          Why are you doubting him?

Mine shot under an inch at 100 with PF loaded 120 Nosler bt. Rapid fired off bags as fast as I could get back on the orange dot.
                          I'm not doubting him, that's a fantastic group... just more interested in "overall" performance of rifles when people post a fantastic group.

If you've ever shot something like the "MOA all day" challenge, you know what I'm referring to.

I have rifles that have turned in like groups... but to get five of them back to back is another story... but I think you already know this.

I'm sure a lot of those barrels are going to produce really great individual groups... the real test of rifle and shooter is "duplication". When you duplicate, then you can say "this is what I can do with my rifle" vs. "this is what I did with my rifle"... not here to start a pissing contest just looking at consistency and duplication.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                            Administrator
                            • Feb 2011

Understandings are correct that it is a Faxon barrel made to my specs.

Beyond the difference in the exterior profile, the difference between a Faxon spec and my group buy barrel spec is that my lands are of reduced height: traditional lands height for 6.5mm/0.264" is 0.004, whereas mine are 0.003 to reduce engraving deformation on bullets. There's another theoretical advantage having to do with velocity that I'm secretly hoping for, but only enough guys shooting a large enough sample will bear it out.

Group buys of these barrels are found HERE.

Drillboss, thanks for digging up that explanation. I thought by now everybody knew that, but I guess I shouldn't have assumed. NOTE: Chambers are totally SAAMI standard with a Manson reamer. No fiddling with chambers here.
                            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• grayfox
                              Chieftain
                              • Jan 2017

Looking forward to the barrel coming in...
                              Your specs look ok by me. That's why I opted in.
                              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Kilco
                                Chieftain
                                • Jan 2016

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                                Understandings are correct that it is a Faxon barrel made to my specs.

Beyond the difference in the exterior profile, the difference between a Faxon spec and my group buy barrel spec is that my lands are of reduced height: traditional lands height for 6.5mm/0.264" is 0.004, whereas mine are 0.003 to reduce engraving deformation on bullets. There's another theoretical advantage having to do with velocity that I'm secretly hoping for, but only enough guys shooting a large enough sample will bear it out
                                I'm about 99% finished convincing myself I need one of these. The rifling is a very awesome idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X