• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bowhntr6pt
    Warrior
    • Feb 2017

20" Faxon Group Buy Update/Range Report

The completed rifle... for now, scope is temporary and was intended for a 24" Bull Barrel AR that I have. Scope is a Leupold Vx-III 6.5-20x50 with fine crosshair target dot reticle. Range is 100 yards, very mild cross wind but as I type this and uploaded the pics, it's picking up some. Shooting conditions at the time were 89-gegrees, Wind SE at 9 MPH (I'm facing S), Humidity 67%, UV index 7.

First 5-round group after a rough manual bore-sight... ended up being about 3 1/2" low, L/R is ok for now, not bad for "eyeballing it"... all shots felt good, Hornady 123gr A-Max.

Next 5-round group, little better, all shots felt good, this time Hornady 123 SST.

It's hot out... taking a rest, will post more later.
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

Seems to be liking the SST.. I'm envious... I bulked out on the SST, come to find out my rifle much prefers the eld-m.. Keep us posted! Any handloads to try out?

Comment

• Lastrites
      Warrior
      • Apr 2017

It is warm today, wind could be playing with you a bit on that first group you think? Decent group with sst's which seem to be picky in some barrels.

My 16" seems to like the eld-m's also. Waiting on the brown truck for my 20" group buy barrel, then I can finish that one up.
      Last edited by Lastrites; 10-07-2017, 06:48 PM.

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
        Warrior
        • Feb 2017

With my YHM LT...

Hornady ELD Match... shots felt great... rifle might not like it unless suppressed, see below...

When suppressed, POI is exactly 4" low of POA with the 123 ELD Match, but as expected, the suppressor tightened the group, or so it seems, more shooting will confirm...

Last 5-round group, again the ELD coming in at just over 1 1/2"...

SUMMARY- all rounds functioned 100% with positive ejection in a nice pile at 3:00 and about 4 feet away. Suppressed was at 5:00 as expected and there were very minor swipes on the brass. Zero issues from the 10-round ASC magazine.

All in all, based on today's brief range session, this barrel is exactly what it was advertised to be... a great HUNTING barrel. I was expecting at minimum 1 1/2 MOA to 1 3/4 MOA from this barrel and all in all on average, without precision measuring, which will come later, it's shooting between 1 3/8" and 1 5/8" based on a rough look. More than enough for hunting.

Shooting felt good, solid rest, minimal reticle tremor, clear scope, minimal wind, but damn hot and muggy. I can not say the uncomfortable shooting, heat/humidity wise, effected me so I'm confident what I shot today IS what the rifle is. Perhaps some more rounds down range, a little more wear in of the barrel, and even some time at the loading bench might knock off 1/4" here or there, maybe more.

So... am I happy with the purchase... yes, I am. Can't wait to whack a coyote or hog with it.

ETA- the squares are 1" and the numbers, such as the 0 are 3/4".
        Last edited by Bowhntr6pt; 10-07-2017, 07:39 PM.

Comment

• Arkhangel5
          Warrior
          • Apr 2016

BH6P,
          It doesnt say in the post, are those factory loads or handloaded?

Either way it looks like you have a good combo there.

SY

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
            Warrior
            • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Arkhangel5 View Post
            BH6P,
            It doesnt say in the post, are those factory loads or handloaded?

Either way it looks like you have a good combo there.

SY
            Opps... all factory, thanks.

Comment

• Bamboofisherman
              Unwashed
              • Aug 2017

Hey Bowhntr6pt, what handguard is that? And what length? I'm trying to measure out a build and can't figure out if I want to go with the MI lightweight rail G2 (12.625"), Martix Arms rail (13.5"), or something else. I don't know how the 12.625 inch rail would look with the gas block sticking out, but I like the fact that there isn't a full length picatinny rail on top which, unfortunately, the matrix has. Not sure that's worth double the cost though.

Comment

Working...
              X