• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BoltConvert
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2017

The Horde is in Alaska!

Hello to all.
    After lurking for quite a while, I was drawn in and Grendel-ated.
    It feels good! The (first) rifle for our clan is built from home, partly due to my son's urging to get an evil black rifle. Headed to the range today, testing some ammo made with recipes from AR15buildbox.com
    -Grendel loads for hunting Volume II.
    Alaska has it's share of magnum addicts and also plenty of humble marksmen, we fall some where in the middle. Looking forward to winter predator hunts with our new rifle and it's excellent potential for long range.
    My own introduction would not be complete without a shout-out to member LRRPF52. His input in this forum, and at AR15.com, adds great value and insight to an already strong group of shooters and enthusiasts.
    His praise and fact filled information about the 6.5 Grendel "sealed the deal" to convert me!
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Boltconvert! Please let us know how your 6.5 Grendel does in Alaska.

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

Ooooo very cook welcome friend from the opposite side of the country!!

Tell us a little about your build!

Comment

• BoltConvert
        Unwashed
        • Oct 2017

To be honest, I wanted my entry into the building an AR to be low- risk, so the components were chosen mostly for strength, versatility and simplicity.
        Chose an A2 lower assembly from PSA, -solid, proven, rifle length buffer, GI trigger group-simple to upgrade at a later time, and fit my budget!
        Upper has a Midway 20" SS 1-8" fluted barrel -a compromise on length, cost, weight, and quality. The machine work and surfaces in the chamber, rifling and muzzle looked real good, accuracy meets expectations.
        Fitted a handguard by Nordic Components, simple, solid/massive barrel nut, easy non-critical index with no rail.
        The BCG came from Bear Creek Arsenal. The carrier required a bit of careful "dehorning". It has a SAAMI spec bolt head of quality material that gets an MPI for integrity. So far (120 rds) no problems.
        One item, a bit of an upgrade, Odin Works adjustable gas block. For fine tuning the AR action -designed for a cartridge of much less volume and bullet weight, now launching 100-120gr bullets with a lot more gas volume. Seemed like a good investment for the long term health of the mechanicals, and shooter comfort!

Comment

• Kilco
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2016

I like your thought process.. safe and smart way to get your feet wet in a new cartridge.

Any specific bullets/ammo your rifle like so far? Haven't seen a ton of reviews on the updated midway Grendel barrels.

Comment

• Texas
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum boltconvert. I would think an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel would have broad application in Alaska.

Comment

• win.308stealth
              Bloodstained
              • Jan 2015

Welcome aboard!!! Myself grew up in Alaska, I think the Grendel will be an awesome addition to ones arsenal up there.

Comment

• BoltConvert
                Unwashed
                • Oct 2017

Yesterdays range time showed a preference for Hornady's 123 SST factory load. Tried Nosler 120gr. BT, and Hornady 129gr. Spire Point bullets. Pretty unimpressed with those two. There was, however, a handicap of hand-operating the charging handle on much of the shots. Only the factory stuff and the near to max handloads cycled the bolt fully. Haven't spent very much "trigger time" with the AR type rifles, so my form was not as strong as needed for really consistent groups. In the excitement to get out to the range the adjustment tool for the gas block was left behind. Oops! That little allen wrench will be stashed in the rifle for a while now!
                Putting together some rounds today using the excellent 123gr SST slugs with CFE223 powder. We'll see. . .
                A good load with that bullet, and maybe a match type for predators (not bears!), would cover the bases nicely for much of our hunting.
                Does somebody know who makes the barrels for Midway's AR Stoner brand?
                The finish on the chamber was almost mirror smooth, crown looked free of burrs and concentric, no borescope available , but the rifling looks clean and sharp, not seeing a lot of copper from the initial cleanings.
                Accuracy is still more about me than the rifle. I will say the factory Hornady allowed me to lay 8 shots into a spread about 1.5" X 1.25" at 100yds.

Comment

• just_john
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2012

Boltconvert, welcome to the Clan from the Great Nation of Texas. Would love to come visit up your way sometime, near the top of my bucket list.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Midway has recently switched suppliers for their 6.5 Grendel barrels. It is suspected Midway is currently using Bear Creek Arsenal (BCA) and previously sold Satern/Liberty barrels with Grendel II chamber.

Comment

• BoltConvert
                      Unwashed
                      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by just_john View Post
                      Boltconvert, welcome to the Clan from the Great Nation of Texas. Would love to come visit up your way sometime, near the top of my bucket list.
                      Thank You
                      Standing offer for any who visit Alaska, though work keeps me Mon-Fri 8-5, I can help as a weekend tour guide, hunt/fish consultant, local expediter. Of course no fees, so no bad reviews -right?

Comment

• just_john
                        Chieftain
                        • Sep 2012

Be careful what you volunteer for - some of us might take it seriously!

Comment

Working...
                        X