• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BoltConvert
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2017

Odin adjustable gas block ?

Hello, new to the forum, though I have been spectating from the sidelines for quite a while.
    There is so much good information here, I was able to scratch build a Grendel and it is working just fine. The barrel is 20" with rifle length gas, using an Odin adjustable gas block.
    When I shot the first 50 rds. the set-screw was backed out to what should be completely open. Function was trouble free, but my brass was getting beat up, and the rifle seemed to be getting thrashed a bit as well -kind of noisy in the A2 stock and a lot more general noise and mechanical crashing than our 5.56 AR.
    Next range session I started with the adjustment lightly bottomed, then progressively opened more after each shot until ejection was consistent and the bolt locked open (properly on the bolt catch) after mag. was empty. Then added about 1/4 turn more to allow for carbon build-up and differences in ammo. Brass is not getting case mouths mashed, and the rifle is much calmer feeling in recoil.
    This testing/break-in was all done with factory loads: Hornady Black 123gr. ELDM, and Prvi. 120gr. HPBT (Sierra bullet?).
    Today is the day to try some handloads and start fine tuning the rifle -hopefully- for upcoming winter predator hunting, and possibly a Caribou.
    The barrel got a thorough scrubbing and some strokes with JB bore paste; cleaned and lightly lubed the recoil spring; and buffed some spots on the bolt carrier and hammer that were not mating in a smooth way.
    My question is, is there a "standard" procedure or guideline for setting the restriction on the gas block?
    This rifle will see at least two or three different loads, and I don't want to be so precise with the setting to have a short-stroking issue if ammo is changed.

Thanks in advance to all who reply!
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

My gas block has a click every 1/3rd rotation. I started with it closed, opened about 2 full turns, loaded one round and fired. Bolt did not lock open. From there i repeated the process 1 click at a time till the bolt locked open. I then opened it one more click and left it alone. I've shot sst, amax, and eld m with no problems.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

Watch out on that PPU brass and ammo - PPU has been recalled.
      see the thread:
      PPU Brass (Recalled)
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Kilco
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2016

I've only used the Odin "tunable" gas block, but most reports on their adjustable gas blocks are very good reviews.

Comment

• Six5x39
          Warrior
          • Sep 2017

I also have same gas block , it's not finished yet , but once I'm set , Im planning to give about 1/2 turn more . let me know if 1/4 turn workouts for different loads.

Comment

• StoneHendge
            Chieftain
            • May 2016

You've gone about setting it the proper way. One click past where the bolt reliably stays open is the rule of thumb. I guess the best way to do it for multiple loads would be to go "one click past" for the load that requires the most gas.
            Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• BoltConvert
              Unwashed
              • Oct 2017

Yep! All comments are spot-on.
              I did gamble and used some of the PPU brass for the starting loads, bad idea. It is definitely "one and done" material. Found a local source for more Hornady 123gr. SST ammo, that gave me a good baseline and decent brass to re-use.
              Loads with 30.6gr or less of Hodgdon CFE 223 pushing 129g, and all 120gr. loads, would not cycle the bolt. Ejection was good, but not enough bolt travel to catch the next round in the mag. Looks like it is close, but needs more gas.
              Didn't have the tiny allen wrench for adjustment in my range bag, won't do that again! A lot of the shooting was like my familiar bolt gun action. Hard for me to keep a consistent form doing that charging handle stroke.
              Still had a good range day, and learned a bit more about this rifle. The Kiddo was working with "his" rifle, a 5.56 with recently upgraded upper, he had good results as well.
              No surprise, my best goupings came from the factory Hornady 123gr SST ammo. That same store also had the bullets, I will have better results with them and better brass that isn't swelling up!

Comment

Working...
              X