• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blackholegun
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2017

buffer weight and adjustable gas block questions

I am currently building a Grendel carbine length gun with an 18" barrel.
    What buffer weight would work the best with this combination?

Thanks, Greg
    Everything I enjoy doing is either illegal, immoral or, just to damn expensive
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

With an adjustable gas block you should be able to use the supplied carbine buffer and adjust the gas to where the bolt locks back on the last round. If not using an asjustable gas block the diameter of the gas port might dictate using a heavier buffer.

Comment

• Slappy
      Warrior
      • Feb 2014

I wouldn’t worry about that right now. If you are building a rifle a normal buffer and spring should work just fine and is a great non expensive place to start. If you wind up with something out of whack then you can look into changing something in that area. Build it shoot it and have fun! If it ain’t broke don’t fix it! BANG BANG!! If you don’t plan on shooting surpressed I wouldn’t even bother with an adjustable GB, but that is just me. That is something more to clean and mess with.
      Last edited by Slappy; 12-18-2017, 01:41 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by blackholegun View Post
        I am currently building a Grendel carbine length gun with an 18" barrel.
        What buffer weight would work the best with this combination?

Thanks, Greg
        What gas system length on that 18" barrel?

There are:

RLGS
        ILGS
        MLGS
        CLGS

Rifle-length, Intermediate (this is more rare, but PF and Odin I think use it on 18" Grendels), Mid, Carbine

An 18" should have either RLGS, ILGS, or MLGS.

ILGS probably is more ideal, with RLGS being ok for heavier projectiles, and MLGS being an all-round performer that is usually gassed quite hard (especially if the port is too big over .076").
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• blackholegun
          Bloodstained
          • Oct 2017

That build was with a Faxon barrel mid length gas.
          Cycled quite well after the gas block was adjusted.
          Ended up as a gift to a long time friend and has yet to be taken to a range for an accuracy test.
          I am at the tail end of another one that I will keep for myself.
          Pretty much all AP parts except for a BA bolt and 20 inch fluted barrel.
          Waiting for the SLR gas block and VG6 which should be here Friday for final assembly, just in time for a Christmas gift for myself
          Everything I enjoy doing is either illegal, immoral or, just to damn expensive

Comment

Working...
          X