• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • worthen86ford
    Warrior
    • May 2016

POI shift with clean barrel

I have AA 16" lite barrel and have noticed in my last three range sessions that my POI is off by about 2 MOA for about the first 10 shots maybe 20. I'm using a trijicon 1-8 accupower and as i spin my turrets for the corrections i end up at the same 0 point by the end of the session. I first thought it was me taking the scope on and off, then i thought it was because i clean the barrel well with a jag and it was a squeaky clean barrel, last time i just used my otis kit which i do not think gets the barrel really clean but the POI was still off at first.

I'm not going to clean it now as it is deer season but i would like to know what y'all do and what your experiences are.
  • howl
    Warrior
    • Nov 2015

I sight in for a cold, dirty bore. If I have to clean during hunting season, I foul the barrel over again. This is one argument for not completely cleaning unless accuracy falls off. You should expect to see shift in POI and accuracy between clean vs dirty and changing ammunition. Sometimes you will even see shift between lots of the same ammunition.

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

If you clean the barrel you will usually see a POI shift until it gets fouled up again. Different barrels will also act differently.

Rule if thumb for me, is get a hunting load sorted out and don't clean through the season. Keeps things nice and consistant.

Comment

• Texas
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
        If you clean the barrel you will usually see a POI shift until it gets fouled up again. Different barrels will also act differently.

Rule if thumb for me, is get a hunting load sorted out and don't clean through the season. Keeps things nice and consistant.
        +1

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

There will always be a difference between the MPI of a cold-bore/clean barrel and a warm bore/dirty barrel. Your lite (thin and light) barrel will heat up and flex quicker than target barrels which is the unfortunate cost of enjoying a light barrel.

I don't clean barrels after the end of every shooting session. That old military dogma has gone out the window, along with my copper solvent. I prefer to leave the copper in the micro-pores as well as the carbon fouling. In an AR by all means clean the BCG and crack the carbon around an adjustable gas screw if you have it, but as long as you can manage corrosion then there is no need to do anything to the barrel. Dirty barrels are a corrosion risk however so as long as you can manage that your MPI shift will be less. Probably never eliminate it but it won't be 2MOA.

Comment

• worthen86ford
            Warrior
            • May 2016

Klem, can you explain managing the corrosion risk a little further?

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
              Warrior
              • Feb 2017

Originally posted by worthen86ford View Post
              Klem, can you explain managing the corrosion risk a little further?
              A fouled bore with powder residue will collect moisture... one thing we were MADE to do at SniperCraft was to scrub the bore after each training day and do a final swab with alcohol. I disagreed about it then and I disagree to this day... like others, I don't touch the bore unless accuracy falls off.

After shooting, I will hit just the chamber and leave the rest of the rifle alone. My issued 700 LTR went about 650 documented rounds before I did a strip down and re-foul job.

To the OP... shoot it and clean only the chamber and see if that helps.

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

When you clean a barrel you strip away the carbon and perhaps even copper. Then leave a film of oil and into the gun safe. That oil is a protective film to prevent rust. But the downside is it will shift your precious zero.

Fouled barrels have a coat of carbon on them which is to a degree hydroscopic (attracts moisture). This will then pit the barrel if left for any length of time or in a corrosive environment like near the sea or in damp conditions. So, while leaving the barrel fouled is good for retaining your zero it brings with it a higher risk of corrosion.

I use anti-rust vapour capsules by Zerust. I also have a dessicant canister in the safe. I live close to the ocean so regardless, the salt air gets into everything if you are not careful. The combination of vapour capsules and dessicant does the trick...no rust in the barrels.

The vapour capsules apparently coat everything in a certain radius in nanoparticles which inhibit rust. Their website;
                Zerust® offers simple, yet effective rust prevention gun storage products that offer solutions for guns, firearms, ammo and firearm parts.

I use the VC-1 and VC-2 capsules and replace them every year or so. Just one stuck to the wall in an 8-gun safe is enough. You can find them on Fleabay. I look at it as insurance for expensive gear. I use their smaller yellow tabs for my die boxes and have used their plastic bags for long term storage. It all seems to work. Zerust is an anti-corrosion supplier for all types of industry, not just firearms. Haven't used their oil or barrel strips so can't comment there.
                Last edited by Klem; 10-09-2017, 02:04 AM.

Comment

• worthen86ford
                  Warrior
                  • May 2016

perfect. Thanks for the info

Comment

• PGW Steve
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2017

I was working with a guy that had issues of his .338LM having a wandering POI for the first 5 or so rounds after cleaning. I spotted for him at 300m and saw the issue and was a bit stumped. Being a brass whore at the time, and military guys not being reloaders, I grabbed his brass..... It was dripping in oil. I told him to clean his rifle again, then I showed him how to dry the chamber. Did this all on the range, and went back and shot. CCB shot and all subsequent rounds were POA, problem solved. This may not be your issue, but the above experience may relate a bit.

Comment

• Jakal
                      Warrior
                      • May 2014

Out of all of the guns I own (rifles, muzzleloaders and pistols) only 2 of them like to be clean. The rest want to run dirty. If I clean those, it sometimes takes between 20 and 60 rounds before they come back in. If for hunting, once the load is developed, sighted-in and practiced with, I just clean the bolt and chamber and leave the bore alone. Cold, dirty barrel's POI is right on zero.
                      ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• worthen86ford
                        Warrior
                        • May 2016

So i should just clean the chamber and bcg after a day of shooting and be sure to dry the chamber with say a mop and alcohol? Only clean the barrel when accuracy drops off.

Comment

• Klem
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2013

Just the BCG and maybe wipe out the upper receiver. Leave the barrel and chamber alone.

Comment

• Jakal
                            Warrior
                            • May 2014

That's what I would recommend. Then the following day, shoot a group of 5 on a cold dirty barrel and see if your POI is at your desired zero. If not adjust and let cool. Go back the next day and try again. Remember you may only get 2-3 hunting shots, so those need to be on target. You shouldn't have to shoot multiple rounds to get the barrel warmed up.

1st Cold dirty bore shot should hit your zero.
                            ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
                              Warrior
                              • Feb 2017

Originally posted by worthen86ford View Post
                              So i should just clean the chamber and bcg after a day of shooting and be sure to dry the chamber with say a mop and alcohol? Only clean the barrel when accuracy drops off.
                              NO ALCOHOL.

I'd hit the chamber with a chamber mop VERY LIGHTLY spritzed with BrakeFree or the like... VERY LIGHTLY. Clean the BCG as needed.

During the really humid summer months here in FL, after each shoot with my rifle, I "might" run a VERY LIGHTLY spritzed patch down the bore, ONE PASS ONLY to keep moisture at bay. I've been doing this for years with my personal and issued rifles. Below are out of the vehicle examples of cold bore and fu shots... what I do works well for me...

Comment

Working...
                              X