• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bowhntr6pt
    Warrior
    • Feb 2017

20" Ballistic Advantage SS DMR in 6.5 Grendel

Anyone shoot this? I've had great success with the BA barrels in .308, especially the SS ones, so I just ordered one of BA's 20" DMR barrels in 6.5 Grendel. It will be heavier than the 20" Faxon I just got... but it will be used prone, in a stand, or in my ring mount set up so no issues with an extra lb.+.

Granite Ridge has a 25% off sale and free shipping, came in at $213.00 total.

ETA- oh, and BA has the MOA guarantee...
  • Lastrites
    Warrior
    • Apr 2017

Bh6, it is only about a half pound more at 2lbs14oz, I almost pulled the trigger on one of those but really wanted something closer to 2lbs but didn't want to spend north of $300 as putting my 2 kids through college tends to strangle the budget.
    Last edited by Lastrites; 10-09-2017, 09:34 PM.

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
      Warrior
      • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
      Bh6, it is only about a half pound more at 2lbs140z, I almost pulled the trigger on one of those but really wanted something closer to 2lbs but didn't want to spend north of $300 as putting my 2 kids through college tends to strangle the budget.
      Due to the 25% off and FREE shipping, it was $213, too good to pass up.

Comment

• Kilco
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2016

That's a good deal for sure.

Just out of curiosity, did BA ever establish for certain that they are using the compound SAAMI spec? Their website says type II, but I thought I remember someone calling and they claimed to be SAAMI spec

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
          Warrior
          • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
          That's a good deal for sure.

Just out of curiosity, did BA ever establish for certain that they are using the compound SAAMI spec? Their website says type II, but I thought I remember someone calling and they claimed to be SAAMI spec
          I have no idea...

Comment

• bj139
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2017

I believe to use the name Grendel they have to be SAAMI spec.

Comment

• Kilco
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
              Very well should be true, but I was under the assumption midway usa, brownells and BCA all label theirs Grendel but use the Grendel II chambering...

Comment

• Lastrites
                Warrior
                • Apr 2017

Well that should be how it's done but not from what I've seen.

Comment

• bj139
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2017

When I read about this before I found the Grendel II was actually the boltface depth specified by Bill Alexander at 0.136" for better extractor reasons.

The other boltface depth is 0.125" I think used by BHW and a few others.

It is used on the 7.62x39 the parent cartridge, so maybe this is why it is type I.

SAAMI spec chamber shape is here :http://saami.org/specifications_and_...FR.pdf#page=13

Either boltface depth could be used for a SAAMI chamber or not a SAAMI chamber (chamber shape varies).

The barrel manufacturer would either set the chamber depth for a 0.125" or 0.136" bolt.

Headspace would be correct since it is measured from the breechface (or boltface) to the shoulder as shown in the SAAMI diagram.
                  Last edited by bj139; 10-09-2017, 07:09 PM.

Comment

• bj139
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
                    Well that should be how it's done but not from what I've seen.
                    I think legal reasons are for the name .264LBC. I don't know how many variations there are of this cartridge.

Comment

• Kilco
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2016

When I read about this before I found the Grendel II was actually the boltface depth specified by Bill Alexander at 0.136" for better extractor reasons.

The other boltface depth is 0.125" I think used by BHW and a few others.

It is used on the 7.62x39 the parent cartridge, so maybe this is why it is type I.

SAAMI spec chamber shape is here :http://saami.org/specifications_and_...FR.pdf#page=13

Either boltface depth could be used for a SAAMI chamber or not a SAAMI chamber (chamber shape varies).

The barrel manufacturer would either set the chamber depth for a 0.125" or 0.136" bolt.

Headspace would be correct since it is measured from the breechface (or boltface) to the shoulder as shown in the SAAMI diagram.
                      Grendel and Grendel II are different chamber designs altogather.

Type 1 bolt is .125 and type 2 (correct one) is .136

When a company advertise a barrel as "Grendel II" It can mean two things...

Either it's chambered with a Grendel II chamber.

Or it's Chambered with the type 2 bolt.

Kicking a very very dead horse here, but it's important for manufacturers to list if it's a SAAMI spec chamber with a .136 bolt face. Leave all the type 1 type 2 crap out of it.

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

Kilco, Here is a previous thread discussing this.

It's funny, the very last post talks about "type 1 and type 2 crap".

Comment

• Kilco
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2016

Kilco, Here is a previous thread discussing this.

It's funny, the very last post talks about "type 1 and type 2 crap".
                          Lol!! The last post on that thread and my last post... kind of funny..

Comment

• phishfood
                            Warrior
                            • Jul 2017

Thanks for linking that thread, I have been looking for it the last few days.

Comment

Working...
                            X