• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • usmcm16a2
    Warrior
    • Aug 2015

Range Trip with the CZ 527 American.

Folks,

Spent about 3 hours at the range today, sunny and 85 degrees. Wind was calm. Decided to test both the rifle and some loads. Did no special break in on the barrel.
    I was going to test some of The Cavity Back MKZ 118gr with 27-29 grains of CFE223. But I started with the 29gr of CFE223 loads which yielded a average velocity of 2480fps. This about the minimum velocity I wanted. I knew the others the 27-28.5 grain loads would have less velocity, so I used them for practice loads. I am aiming for a solid 2550-2600 feet per second.
    The loading with the 29 grains of CFE223 was very accurate, several 5 shot groups at .85 inches at 100 yards. The rifle was great. Bolt was smooth, and only became smoother with use. Magazines were a bit difficult to load with 5 shots at first, but after several loading became easier. The trigger breaks at 3.5 pounds and was clean. I did not try the set trigger.
    When I have a more stable load formulated, I will try to get more shooting data built up. I'm hoping that I can as I said, get to about 2550-2600 fps. But I was able to shoot silhouette from 200 to 600 yards. I was zeroed at 100, 2.5 MOA up at 200, 4.5 MOA at 300, 8.7 MOA at 400, 16 MOA at 500. With that I am extremely happy with the CZ 527.
    Where the Howa is modern piece of precise Japanese engineering, the CZ smacks of old world European craftsmanship. When I get more range time I will come back with a range report. A2
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

Awesome report A2!!

Love to hear your detailed comparison of the Howa vs the CZ.

Comment

• bj139
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2017

She's out of jail and ready for the range. Great report. Thanks.

Is that a controlled feed, Mauser style action? I always liked those and the HOWA is not.

Comment

• usmcm16a2
        Warrior
        • Aug 2015

bj,

Controlled feed, I had some kid come up to me at the range. He asks me in a condescending tone "Why Grendel?". He was shooting a Swedish Mauser, I asked him, Why 6.5x55?. People are funny, after my smart ass answer, he said why not Creedmoor? I said that I like 6.5CM but the Grendel is a more cost efficient cartridge. For me, and that it is just a hell of a lot more fun to shoot. A2

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

You could have said, why not 50BMG? If you need more power. If not, 6.5 Grendel.

Comment

• Waynejessie
            Bloodstained
            • Aug 2017

Originally posted by usmcm16a2 View Post
            Folks,

Spent about 3 hours at the range today, sunny and 85 degrees. Wind was calm. Decided to test both the rifle and some loads. Did no special break in on the barrel.
            I was going to test some of The Cavity Back MKZ 118gr with 27-29 grains of CFE223. But I started with the 29gr of CFE223 loads which yielded a average velocity of 2480fps. This about the minimum velocity I wanted. I knew the others the 27-28.5 grain loads would have less velocity, so I used them for practice loads. I am aiming for a solid 2550-2600 feet per second.
            The loading with the 29 grains of CFE223 was very accurate, several 5 shot groups at .85 inches at 100 yards. The rifle was great. Bolt was smooth, and only became smoother with use. Magazines were a bit difficult to load with 5 shots at first, but after several loading became easier. The trigger breaks at 3.5 pounds and was clean. I did not try the set trigger.
            When I have a more stable load formulated, I will try to get more shooting data built up. I'm hoping that I can as I said, get to about 2550-2600 fps. But I was able to shoot silhouette from 200 to 600 yards. I was zeroed at 100, 2.5 MOA up at 200, 4.5 MOA at 300, 8.7 MOA at 400, 16 MOA at 500. With that I am extremely happy with the CZ 527.
            Where the Howa is modern piece of precise Japanese engineering, the CZ smacks of old world European craftsmanship. When I get more range time I will come back with a range report. A2

Comment

• usmcm16a2
              Warrior
              • Aug 2015

WayneJessie,

I would like to hear your thoughts. Why do you feel that way? A2

Comment

• ThunderStick
                Unwashed
                • Sep 2017

I have had several 527s (still have the fire ball), and the Howa mini. They both have their strong points and weak points!

Comment

• Waynejessie
                  Bloodstained
                  • Aug 2017

WayneJessie,

I would like to hear your thoughts. Why do you feel that way? A2

Comment

• ThunderStick
                    Unwashed
                    • Sep 2017

Are you still miffed over the "No bottom metal" thing?

Owning both, yes this CZ is old school metal and wood, and I like old school metal and wood, but there is a $200 price point difference in them. IMHO the CZ has a finished barrel when you unbox it, where as the Howa takes a break in, but both are quite satisfactorily accurate within the firearm law that states "every barrel/ rifle is a law unto its self". My Howa mini is as slick as greased owl pop on a polished glass door knob, the 527s, not so much even after hundreds of rounds through it. If you like a good low scope mount, and I do, Howa owns this! With the 527s you better watch out for those fat ocular scopes because your gonna need a check riser, even after CZ has ground metal of the bolt handle and weakened it. Claw extractors have their draw backs as well. Don't force the bolt closed over a dropped in cartridge on the 527 as you risk damaging or breaking your extractor because it should be feed from the magazine up. They are both very good guns, very good! Personally I will never buy a CZ unless I can hold it and inspect it. As much as I like wood and steel, CZs are very inconsistent on wood quality , one will be great and the next will have about as much figure as a broom stick! All that said, I'm glad there both available in the Grendel! Howa, How about a 20 vartarg?

Comment

• Kilco
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by ThunderStick View Post
                      Howa, How about a 20 vartarg?
                      I believe they already chamber it in 204 Ruger.

The 204 makes a yummy snack out of the Vartarg.

Comment

• ThunderStick
                        Unwashed
                        • Sep 2017

I know, I know but its like asking why a Grendel in an action that will handle a Creedmore! I want one is good enough! I have a fire ball also.

Comment

• Kilco
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by ThunderStick View Post
                          I know, I know but its like asking why a Grendel in an action that will handle a Creedmore! I want one is good enough! I have a fire ball also.
                          Now THAT is a fuuuun cartridge!!! I actually use Vartarg dies to neck down 221 fireball to 17 fireball.

Comment

• stilesg57
                            Unwashed
                            • Sep 2017

AWESOME range report! Really cool you're able to tailor loads by hand that precisely. So glad to hear it's shooting such great groups right out of the box. My rimfire CZs both shot substantially tighter groups after the first 100 rounds, so here's fingers crossed it gets even better.

Magazines were a bit difficult to load with 5 shots at first, but after several loading became easier.
                            Ha, I thought I was the only one with issues loading the Grendel mags given the tight stiff spring and sharp neck angle

Comment

Working...
                            X